Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DR, example  (Read 2377 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
DR, example
« on: March 12, 2010, 11:58:17 pm »

Hi,

While browsing DR-related discussions on LuLa forum I stumbled on a picture which may be interesting as an example of DR I shot a couple of days ago. The scene is inherently high contrast and it was shot with a Sony Alpha 900 and a Zeiss 24-70/2.8 at 100 ISO. Here are screenshots (showing image before/after and with adjustments visible in LR)

[attachment=20857:ScreenShot2.jpg]
[attachment=20858:ScreeShot1.jpg]

The image is downloadable here (full size JPEG of the processed image and DNG):

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DRExample/

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

fredjeang

DR, example
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 03:59:51 am »

Thank you Erik,

At least, some images!
You might also check in an old thread here: http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....40348&st=80
the interesting post from Bigalbest (3 samples), is also to be considered IMO.

Cheers.

Fred.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 06:30:29 am by fredjeang »

bjanes

DR, example
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 10:21:51 am »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

While browsing DR-related discussions on LuLa forum I stumbled on a picture which may be interesting as an example of DR I shot a couple of days ago. The scene is inherently high contrast and it was shot with a Sony Alpha 900 and a Zeiss 24-70/2.8 at 100 ISO. Here are screenshots (showing image before/after and with adjustments visible in LR)

[attachment=20857:ScreenShot2.jpg]
[attachment=20858:ScreeShot1.jpg]

The image is downloadable here (full size JPEG of the processed image and DNG):

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/DRExample/

Best regards
Erik
Erik,

Finally a raw image. Thanks However, looking at the image in Rawnalize, it appears to be underexposed by a full stop.

Regards,

Bill

[attachment=20868:Erik.png]

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
DR, example
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 10:58:08 am »

Hi,

Yes I'm aware of that. It was more intended as a an example of a high contrast situation. I'll post some more if I find anything suitable.

What would be your main interest?

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: bjanes
Erik,

Finally a raw image. Thanks However, looking at the image in Rawnalize, it appears to be underexposed by a full stop.

Regards,

Bill

[attachment=20868:Erik.png]
Erik Kaffehr

Jeremy Payne

DR, example
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 10:58:56 am »

Here's a RAW/DNG from a Nikon D700 ... not sure exactly how close to optimal "ETTR" it is ...

http://photography.jeremypayne.net/web/_JSP2354.dng

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
DR, example
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 04:06:27 pm »

Hi,

Here is another one:

http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/images/D.../DRExample2.dng

Hi,

Yes I'm aware of that. It was more intended as a an example of a high contrast situation. I'll post some more if I find anything suitable.

What would be your main interest?

Best regards
Erik
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 04:07:48 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

Ray

DR, example
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 10:30:40 pm »

Erik,
Isn't the point to compare identical, high contrast scenes shot with different cameras in order to get an idea of the practical significance of any claimed DR benefit that one camera is claimed to have?

DR differences up to and including 1/3rd of a stop have little practical significance for me. I mentioned before that I was a bit disappointed in the DR of my 5D at base ISO. Subjectively it didn't seem to be any better than my previous cropped-format cameras, the D60 and 20D. In fact, the presence of banding in the deepest shadows caused me to wonder if it might actually be slightly worse.

After using the 5D for a few months, I decided to take the trouble to do a practical DR comparison with my D60. These are the results. The shots were taken in April 2006. The methodology was not perfect. I wasn't able to match exposure closer than 1/4th of a stop, so decided to give the 5D the benefit of that qtr stop additional exposure. Nor did I attempt to match DoF.

However, the conclusion seemed clear. The DR of both cameras at base ISO is about the same (+/- 1/6th of a stop), which is surprising considering the fact that the 5D captures 2.6x as much light as the D60.

DXO Mark do not have results for the D60, but they do for the upgrade to the D60, the 10D, which was released before the 5D and which was an improvement over the D60 only in respect of better high-ISO performance.

DXO Mark show the 6mp 10D as having just 1 qtr of a stop lower DR than the 5D at base ISO and at a normalised print sizes of 8x12".

These images have been converted with a zero contrast setting and a linear tone curve. No sharpening has been applied whatsoever. The crops of the shadows have been lightened with the 'levels' tool for ease of comparison. The D60 always shows stronger color in the shadows which gives rise to a sense of greater chroma noise. In the last comparison of the lower left corner, I attempted to reduce the saturation of cyan in the D60 crop, making it look even closer to the 5D crop.

Now if only someone would lend me a P65+ and a D3X with lenses   .

[attachment=20873:5D_ACR_window.jpg]  [attachment=20874:D60_ACR_window.jpg]  [attachment=20875:Underside_of_roof.jpg]

[attachment=20876:Trailer_crop.jpg]  [attachment=20877:Lower_left_corner.jpg]  [attachment=20878:Lower_le...adjusted.jpg]

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
DR, example
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 01:28:44 am »

Ray,

My idea was just to post some pictures shot in "HDR" situations. There is no particular idea behind, more that there is much talk and little action. Also, I made the DNGs available for download. The point I may make is how much information can be extracted from a DSLR image.

One observation I may make is that little of my shooting really depends on high DR. I'm essentially like a landscape photographer, low ISO, tripod and so on. That said I mostly shoot hand held anyway.

Regarding the DxO mark, have you read this? http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Insig...ution-over-time

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Ray
Erik,
Isn't the point to compare identical, high contrast scenes shot with different cameras in order to get an idea of the practical significance of any claimed DR benefit that one camera is claimed to have?

DR differences up to and including 1/3rd of a stop have little practical significance for me. I mentioned before that I was a bit disappointed in the DR of my 5D at base ISO. Subjectively it didn't seem to be any better than my previous cropped-format cameras, the D60 and 20D. In fact, the presence of banding in the deepest shadows caused me to wonder if it might actually be slightly worse.

After using the 5D for a few months, I decided to take the trouble to do a practical DR comparison with my D60. These are the results. The shots were taken in April 2006. The methodology was not perfect. I wasn't able to match exposure closer than 1/4th of a stop, so decided to give the 5D the benefit of that qtr stop additional exposure. Nor did I attempt to match DoF.

However, the conclusion seemed clear. The DR of both cameras at base ISO is about the same (+/- 1/6th of a stop), which is surprising considering the fact that the 5D captures 2.6x as much light as the D60.

DXO Mark do not have results for the D60, but they do for the upgrade to the D60, the 10D, which was released before the 5D and which was an improvement over the D60 only in respect of better high-ISO performance.

DXO Mark show the 6mp 10D as having just 1 qtr of a stop lower DR than the 5D at base ISO and at a normalised print sizes of 8x12".

These images have been converted with a zero contrast setting and a linear tone curve. No sharpening has been applied whatsoever. The crops of the shadows have been lightened with the 'levels' tool for ease of comparison. The D60 always shows stronger color in the shadows which gives rise to a sense of greater chroma noise. In the last comparison of the lower left corner, I attempted to reduce the saturation of cyan in the D60 crop, making it look even closer to the 5D crop.

Now if only someone would lend me a P65+ and a D3X with lenses   .

[attachment=20873:5D_ACR_window.jpg]  [attachment=20874:D60_ACR_window.jpg]  [attachment=20875:Underside_of_roof.jpg]

[attachment=20876:Trailer_crop.jpg]  [attachment=20877:Lower_left_corner.jpg]  [attachment=20878:Lower_le...adjusted.jpg]
Erik Kaffehr

Jeremy Payne

DR, example
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 09:27:48 am »

My idea was just to post some pictures shot in "HDR" situations. There is no particular idea behind, more that there is much talk and little action. Also, I made the DNGs available for download. The point I may make is how much information can be extracted from a DSLR image.

Exactly ...

I posted mine simply to contribute data ... A D700 RAW file, generally exposed "to the right", to give those with an interest and the software - but not the camera - an opportunity to play with a real-world image from a camera they don't own.

I don't have the software ... but I'm happy to share some files for folks to analyze.
Pages: [1]   Go Up