Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Computer won't read 8GB CF card  (Read 4286 times)

Harold Clark

Computer won't read 8GB CF card
« on: March 09, 2010, 07:46:31 am »

I have been using 2GB CF cards in my Canon 1ds2, but recently got a Sandisk Ultra2 8GB. My G5 gives me notification that the computer won't recognize the card. It will read a 8GB SD card however.

I mounted the CF card in my 5 year old Mac laptop using the internal reader and it worked fine. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Dale Allyn

• http://www.daleallynphoto.com
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 11:39:46 am »

Quote from: Harold Clark
I have been using 2GB CF cards in my Canon 1ds2, but recently got a Sandisk Ultra2 8GB. My G5 gives me notification that the computer won't recognize the card. It will read a 8GB SD card however.

I mounted the CF card in my 5 year old Mac laptop using the internal reader and it worked fine. Any suggestions much appreciated.

You might try reading it by connecting the camera directly to the Mac. Then after downloading the files, reformat and try it again. Perhaps the directory is corrupted. Of course it sounds like you can move the files to your laptop and then try reformatting without the step of connecting your 1ds2 to the Mac.

Disk Utility may also give you some info with a scan using Disk First Aid, but be sure to format in the camera (afterwards) if you also repair the volume on the Mac.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 11:41:24 am by DFAllyn »

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:00:46 pm »

get the files onto your laptop asap. make sure you can open them in your image editor. play it safe.

THEN you can start diagnostic.

my guess is 1) defective or corrupted card, 2) defective/incompatible reader.

David
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor

francois

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 05:41:39 am »

Quote from: Harold Clark

Have you tried to connect your card reader to a different port? You could also try with a different card reader. FWIW, I've been using Firewire and USB2 card readers along with CF 8 cards on my G5s without much problems. Sometimes, I have to reinsert the cards a second time in the reader to get it recognized by the computer but this has happened only lately and only with SanDisk card readers (both USB2 and FireWire).
Francois

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 01:00:58 pm »

I have had card readers that weren't compatible with some of my faster 8GB cards.  I would try getting a new reader.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Harold Clark

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:42 am »

Quote from: fike
I have had card readers that weren't compatible with some of my faster 8GB cards.  I would try getting a new reader.

Thanks everybody for your helpful suggestions. I will investigate further, fortunately all the images are fine. I was able to download ( slowly ) to my G4 laptop and transfer to the G5.

Yesterday I did my first commercial film shoot in 5 years, on 4x5. How simple things used to be, I even had an old box of polaroid that worked fine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up