Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two new cameras  (Read 5509 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Two new cameras
« on: February 28, 2010, 06:51:55 pm »

I decided to invest in 2 cameras yesterday... about the same price, different eras and styles:

Canon S90 - due the replace the G10 that my wife has been using - new, never used
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=19210

Nikon F3hp - mint probably never used
http://www.clickondavid.com/f3.html

I am now starting a personnal project involving using these 2 camera in parallel.

Cheers,
Bernard

Rob C

Two new cameras
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 05:39:40 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
I decided to invest in 2 cameras yesterday... about the same price, different eras and styles:

Canon S90 - due the replace the G10 that my wife has been using - new, never used
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controll...p;modelid=19210

I am now starting a personnal project involving using these 2 camera in parallel.

Cheers,
Bernard

Hi Bernard

I think you might enjoy the F3 quite a lot. I bought one when I got too frustrated with the F4s and its loading foibles, and though it has suffered from my personal drop in output, it has been a nice camera to use, except that I would still have preferred another F or F2. (I hate battery dependency.)

The only advice I would dare offer is this: be careful how you handle it when you carry it because I have had a viewfinder correction piece fall right of it and vanish in the street. No idea why - just carrying the camera on a strap around my neck - one minute it was there and the next it had vanished.

I still have the camera and probably always will. Feels so much more a camera than the D200 or D700, both of which remain that bit distant in my affections and feel more like some other kind of machine than a camera should. Guess old emotions die hard.

Rob C

fredjeang

Two new cameras
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 05:57:39 am »

Hi Bernard,

Agree 100% with Rob.
I also had an F3 in my student time, it is a fantastic camera. But then I changed it for a FM2, looking for smaler portable gear.
I also agree that I prefered the F3 from the F4 that was a like a russian tank.

Well, you already have a FF Nikon, may I ask you why you felt attracted by the F3 that you can not have with your digital Nikon?
Is it for the touch, ergonomic, or for film like pictures?

Cheers,

Fred.

Dick Roadnight

Two new cameras
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 06:08:19 am »

Cheers,
Bernard
This looks as if it does the same job as the Leica D-lux 4 (which probably has a Panasonic-brand named equivalent).

Most cameras of this type do not allow you to use them with external flash ( as you cannot even use the built-in flash to trigger external flash, as you cannot turn off the metering pre-flash).
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

BernardLanguillier

Two new cameras
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 06:55:08 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
Well, you already have a FF Nikon, may I ask you why you felt attracted by the F3 that you can not have with your digital Nikon?
Is it for the touch, ergonomic, or for film like pictures?

Nothing against digital.

I have a tiny camera museum at the entrance of my appartement and the F3 is the 3rd piece... following an old English 4x5 camera and a Mamiya 6!

I would lie if I told you I have very clear usage plans for the F3, but I already love it formwise!

Cheers,
Bernard

Jeremy Payne

Two new cameras
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 07:47:34 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
Most cameras of this type do not allow you to use them with external flash ( as you cannot even use the built-in flash to trigger external flash, as you cannot turn off the metering pre-flash).

We figured that one out YEARS ago underwater ... we even have off-camera TTL strobes that are triggered and add their own pre-flash.

http://www.inon.jp/technical/sttl_advanced.html

Rob C

Two new cameras
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 04:31:44 pm »

I have a tiny camera museum at the entrance of my appartement and the F3 is the 3rd piece... following an old English 4x5 camera and a Mamiya 6!

ICheers,
Bernard

On no! You are not going to start buying Leicas llls and Ms, are you?

Rob C

BernardLanguillier

Two new cameras
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 05:29:42 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
On no! You are not going to start buying Leicas llls and Ms, are you?

Not part of the plan as of today.

Cheers,
Bernard

Dave Gurtcheff

Two new cameras
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 12:11:03 pm »

Not part of the plan as of today.

Cheers,
Bernard
GUILTY!!  
[attachment=20669:low_res_..._DSC1495.jpg]
[attachment=20670:low_res_..._DSC1496.jpg]
[attachment=20671:low_res_..._DSC1497.jpg]
[attachment=20672:low_res_..._DSC1498.jpg]

BernardLanguillier

Two new cameras
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 03:36:39 pm »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
GUILTY!!  

Yes you are... I guess that your negociations skills are better than mine... the deal with my wife is to stick to... 4 items.

I have just invested in #4 though... after much thinking I have settled on a Nikon D1 in very good condition purchased from ebay. I see it as the most game changing camera of the last 10 years (the first integrated affordable DSLR), the F3HP was one of the breakthrough of the 80s,... I have the 50s-60s covered with the Mamiya... and the previous 100 years with the 4x5... now I have a problem... what to do about the 70s... perhaps I need a rangefinder camera and a negociation class.  

Cheers,
Bernard

Larry451

Two new cameras
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 09:40:06 am »

now I have a problem... what to do about the 70s... perhaps I need a rangefinder camera

Not quite a rangefinder but I started with a Pentax 500 in the mid seventies.  It was the workhorse of cameras back then....... couple of prime lenses and "instant" street photographer  <grin>

regards
Larry.

Dick Roadnight

Two new cameras
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 10:05:20 am »

Yes you are... I guess that your negociations skills are better than mine... the deal with my wife is to stick to... 4 items.

I have just invested in #4 though... after much thinking I have settled on a Nikon D1 in very good condition purchased from ebay. I see it as the most game changing camera of the last 10 years (the first integrated affordable DSLR), the F3HP was one of the breakthrough of the 80s,... I have the 50s-60s covered with the Mamiya... and the previous 100 years with the 4x5... now I have a problem... what to do about the 70s... perhaps I need a rangefinder camera and a negociation class.  

Cheers,
Bernard
...and do you think that the H4D-60 will be the camera of the present decade?

...and was the Phase 65 the camera of the last decade?
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
Two new cameras
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 10:34:28 am »

I am now starting a personal project involving using these 2 camera in parallel.
Sounds like fun! How will you digitize the film images? What types of film do you plan on using?
~ CB

Dave Gurtcheff

Two new cameras
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 11:59:13 am »

Cheers,
Bernard
My hangup is I love the all metal, all mechanical, meterless 35mm SLRs. My first was an Asahi Pentax model K with semi auto lenses (stop down with shutter release, need manual cocking to reopen). It was a wedding gift from my wife in 1959. I eventually traded it in for the next best thing (whatever that was). I regretted it later in life, so made it a crusade to re-buy it; I was successful..I have three model "K"s with 55mm f1.8 "Auto Takumars", and the originally limited lenses available at the time: the 35mm f2.3 retrofocus (I have two--very hard to find), and the 105mm f2.8 (I have three). The wife is OK with it...a sentimental quest (we are married 51 years). The collection includes several of the original Topcon R with external auto diaphragm lenses, several variations of Canonflex (trigger wind on base plate...remember?), Praktinas, Contax (first prism reflex also marketed as Pentacon, Hexacon), Exakta, Edixa, Petri, Konica, Minolta, Miranda, Leicaflex, and Nikon F, all with multiple lenses. I am addicted.    
Best to all...
Carpe Diam
Dave

BernardLanguillier

Two new cameras
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 06:17:10 am »

Quote from: Dick Roadnight
...and do you think that the H4D-60 will be the camera of the present decade?

...and was the Phase 65 the camera of the last decade?

If they were under the 10.000 US$ price point they would certainly have their chance.

As of now I believe that the camera of the year 2000+ remains the Canon 1Ds both for its technical abilities and the genius marketing coup.

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

Two new cameras
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 06:18:42 am »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
Sounds like fun! How will you digitize the film images? What types of film do you plan on using?

Argh... yes, I had forgotten about that. :-)

If I can finally get my Imacon Precision III to connect to the Mac I would use to scan the negs, probably the new Ektar 100 in color and some type of 400 ISO B&W... not sure what it still selling these days.

Cheers,
Bernard

fredjeang

Two new cameras
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 08:46:35 am »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
GUILTY!!  
[attachment=20669:low_res_..._DSC1495.jpg]
[attachment=20670:low_res_..._DSC1496.jpg]
[attachment=20671:low_res_..._DSC1497.jpg]
[attachment=20672:low_res_..._DSC1498.jpg]
Absolutely guilty!!!!
I'm looking for awhile for a 35mm film Pentax K2 or K2 DMD. I do not want any other, but can not find one in e-bay.
If you have one in your collection and consider lighten your bag    you can mail me.

Fred.

Dave Gurtcheff

Two new cameras
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 10:33:42 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
Absolutely guilty!!!!
I'm looking for awhile for a 35mm film Pentax K2 or K2 DMD. I do not want any other, but can not find one in e-bay.
If you have one in your collection and consider lighten your bag    you can mail me.

Fred.
Fred: I don't have one.
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up