Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing problems with Aperture 3  (Read 22513 times)

artHarris

Printing problems with Aperture 3
« on: February 23, 2010, 03:15:01 pm »

I have just upgraded to Aperture 3 on my iMac, and I can't get a decent print. Printing the same pics from Aperture 2 (now only on my MacBook) or from Lightroom on my iMac I get good prints.
But with Aperture 3. they are far, far too dark.
I have cancelled "black point comp:, increased the brightness from the "more options" section of the Aperture 3 print window, too no useful avail.

I am using the print profiles I have always successfully used, and taking care to change all the necessary options in the print driver window.

Because Lightroom, and Aperture 2 on my MacBook, continue to perform as always, the problem must lie with Aperture 3.  Apple don't have any suggestions to make, and have referred the problem........I don't know where.

Anybody else had this problem? Anybody found a fix?

I am inclined to ask for my money back!

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 04:01:51 pm »

Quote from: artHarris
I have just upgraded to Aperture 3 on my iMac, and I can't get a decent print. Printing the same pics from Aperture 2 (now only on my MacBook) or from Lightroom on my iMac I get good prints.
But with Aperture 3. they are far, far too dark.
I have cancelled "black point comp:, increased the brightness from the "more options" section of the Aperture 3 print window, too no useful avail.

I am using the print profiles I have always successfully used, and taking care to change all the necessary options in the print driver window.

Because Lightroom, and Aperture 2 on my MacBook, continue to perform as always, the problem must lie with Aperture 3.  Apple don't have any suggestions to make, and have referred the problem........I don't know where.

Anybody else had this problem? Anybody found a fix?

I am inclined to ask for my money back!

I have both Aperture 3 and Lightroom 2.6 (also Lightroom beta 3). Did not like Aperture 2 however have started to like Aperture 3 because of some of the new features.

Now when it comes to printing I assume you have calibrated your monitor. Currently I am running on a MacBook Pro 2.66 (June 2009). Have an Apple 24" LED Cinema monitor attached. It has been calibrated with the X-Rite Eye-One Display 2. Having your monitor calibrated correctly makes a hugh difference.   I print mostly to the Epson 3880 however I also have the Canon IPF5000 and the HP 130. So far all prints have just about been dead on matching the monitor from Aperture 3 when printing to the 3880. Mainly been using Epson ExhibitionFiber Paper using the Epson printer profile for that paper.  Have also used Ilford Gold Fibre Silk.  Both with good results. I do have the Black Point turned off as suggesed from Apple. But only when using Aperture.

benInMA

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 10:18:33 am »

I haven't had any trouble with color matching, etc.. on prints once I got it going, but I had to do a huge song and dance and re-install my print drivers and everything.  It was a big pain, and all my print presets in the driver were wacked in the process.

I also can't save any custom presets in aperture's print dialog, which is pretty annoying.

But the actual prints look fine for me.

I had watched Mike/Jeff's "Camera to Print" tutorial and had tried to follow that setup as close as possible with aperture, I basically had to redo most of that work after the Aperture 3 upgrade, but then it was fine.

But the upgrade actually broke my printer so much that I couldn't print *anything* in any app on my mac.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 10:38:49 am by benInMA »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 07:17:50 pm »

What printer and driver version? What version of the OS?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2010, 07:18:51 pm »

Quote from: StuartOnline
I print mostly to the Epson 3880 however I also have the Canon IPF5000 and the HP 130. So far all prints have just about been dead on matching the monitor from Aperture 3 when printing to the 3880.

Are you able to print the same file to the 3880 in say Photoshop or Lightroom and Aperture and have them look the same?

StuartOnline

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 05:59:07 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
Are you able to print the same file to the 3880 in say Photoshop or Lightroom and Aperture and have them look the same?

Yes, in most cases.  I seem to be doing even better printing with Aperture 3.02 which was released a couple of weeks ago.
Having soft-proofing via Aperture 3.02 to me is a great advantage.
I was really getting disappointed with Aperture 3 until they released 3.02.
Using the brushes to apply adjustments to image is a real plus. I like the idea you can target an area of the image with the brushes. This includes sharpening.
I should add that I still have Lightroom 2.6 and testing LR3 and waiting to see what the final will be with LR3.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 06:10:08 pm »

Yes, in most cases.  I seem to be doing even better printing with Aperture 3.02 which was released a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks. Next question. When you print using the Epson, do you use a user preset in their driver? If you use one, then instead print using Standard, and manually configure the resulting settings to match your preset, do you get the same output (especially in deep blues)? I’m not, but I’m trying to see if this is some isolated issue on my end or not.

StuartOnline

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 06:28:59 pm »

Thanks. Next question. When you print using the Epson, do you use a user preset in their driver? If you use one, then instead print using Standard, and manually configure the resulting settings to match your preset, do you get the same output (especially in deep blues)? I’m not, but I’m trying to see if this is some isolated issue on my end or not.

First I do have my monitor calibrated with the X-Rite eye-one display 2.
I am using the MacBook Pro 2.66 15" (June 2009) with a LED 24" Cinema Display.
Lately I have been using the Epson 3880 for most printing.
Currently I have been mainly using Epson Exhibition Fiber Paper 17"x22".
I use the color profile that I had down loaded from Epson and use that in Rendering when printing from Aperture 3.02.  
Then in the printer setup for Epson I set medial type to Premium Photo Paper Glossy.
Output resolution to 1440.
If I understand your question correctly I hope this is what you are looking for.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:01 pm »

If I understand your question correctly I hope this is what you are looking for.

Not really <g>.

I’m wondering about printing using the Epson driver and possible differences in the saved presets you can make that allow you avoid having to select media type, the No Color Adjustment settings etc. Its at the very top of the UI. There’s one called “Standard” which doesn’t have such settings. But you can select it, then manually configure the other screens correctly for printing. I’m seeing a difference in output using the identical settings in the Epson but when toggling from a preset versus using the Standard setting and configuring. I only see this in Aperture (In Photoshop, other app’s, I get identical output as one would expect since the settings are the same once configured).

StuartOnline

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 07:07:16 pm »

Not really <g>.

There’s one called “Standard” which doesn’t have such settings. .

Ok I see what you are talking about I think.
I have it set to standard, however I do use custom setting for each print.
So I guess you could say I do set everything manually for each print.
So at this time I have not saved any presets for printing.
I do not think they really have worked correctly until Aperture 3.02 was released.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 07:16:55 pm »

Ok I see what you are talking about I think.
I have it set to standard, however I do use custom setting for each print.

It has to be one or the other. Well no, you can start with Standard, then configure (and I think it will default back after one use) and it is with Standard I get odd blues.

So at this time I have not saved any presets for printing.
I do not think they really have worked correctly until Aperture 3.02 was released.

What’s odd is printing using a preset matches Photoshop and other apps. But if you are seeing a different result, that is very useful info for me as well! What should happen is, setting the driver identically, with or without a preset should produce the same results. It does that in Photoshop and Lightroom (and Preview). But in Aperture 3, I get different results. If the opposite is happening for you, that’s equally useful feedback. And again, I see the issues in very intense blues (like 0/0/100B).

StuartOnline

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 07:58:12 pm »

It has to be one or the other. Well no, you can start with Standard, then configure (and I think it will default back after one use) and it is with Standard I get odd blues.

What’s odd is printing using a preset matches Photoshop and other apps. But if you are seeing a different result, that is very useful info for me as well! What should happen is, setting the driver identically, with or without a preset should produce the same results. It does that in Photoshop and Lightroom (and Preview). But in Aperture 3, I get different results. If the opposite is happening for you, that’s equally useful feedback. And again, I see the issues in very intense blues (like 0/0/100B).

If I get some time I will run the same image on all three printers to see what sort of results I get.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 08:00:38 pm »

If I get some time I will run the same image on all three printers to see what sort of results I get.

That would be super appreciated, thanks! But again, I’m measuring high differences in very saturated blues. Doesn’t even have to be an image (or could be an image with a big fat square with 0R/0G/255B and if possible, in say Adobe RGB (1998)).

I can send you a 5x7 target if you wish. Don’t waste much paper and ink on my account.

artHarris

Re: Printing problems with Aperture 3
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2010, 12:59:44 pm »

I went away for a long trip shortly after I posted this, and forgot about it. Please excuse me!

The problem still exists, but I have much more detail around it. Apple have been looking into it, but have produced no solution. So here is the current story:
With Aperture 3.0.3, and OS 10.6.4 (but that doesn't matter - it's Ap3 that is the problem) I cannot get good prints using custom profiles for my Epson 1290 using Lyson inks. With Lightroom and Lightzone, I get good colours. If I choose the .pdf option from the Apple print window, and print from Preview (putting the correct profile into the Colorsync window) I get good colours with the 1290. And......from Aperture 3 using my Epson 230, which uses Epson inks, I get good colours.

Although profiles used to be in the Library/Colorsynch/profiles folder and that is where my custom profiles are, the profiles installed for the Epson printers are not. They are in a file in the root Library at Library/Printers/Epson/InkjetPrinter2/ICCProfiles, these are in an un-openable 'package', but I can look at them in the colorsync utility, and they are the same format as all icc profiles.When I use these installed profiles, the colours are not good, but then, the ink set is different from the Epson inks set, so that, by itself, doesn't mean much.

So it seems that Aperture can't use profiles for the Epson 1290; (it goes to this folder of packages for the Epson 230) although it uses them to make the .pdf image.

It seems weird to me. Any ideas out there?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:58:22 am by artHarris »

Kenneth Sky

• http://
Re: Printing problems with Aperture 3
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2010, 11:30:28 am »

I seem to have lost my ICC profiles for Ilford & Canson Baryta on HP B9180. They were there in Aperture 2.
Pages: [1]   Go Up