Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 3 and issues  (Read 6045 times)

mrkjhn

Aperture 3 and issues
« on: February 14, 2010, 12:26:57 am »

Wouldn't make the switch/conversion just yet.  For some reason, I have quite a few images (raw canon 5d) files that were part of a project that won't render in Aperture, nor in Photoshop, Canon's software or C1Pro any longer.  In Aperture, the thumbnails are this distorted mosaics, and when you hit "M" for master, they're just black.

I can export the master, and then re-import them back into Aperture and they appear fine etc..., however when these are exported again as masters, they are still unable to open in Photoshop.  They CAN be viewed in Bridge and then opened in Adobe Camera Raw from within Bridge, then click "open" and they appear in Photoshop.  So...... Photoshop just doesn't seem to see these files as .CR/RAW files and doesn't know to open them in Camera Raw, but Bridge does.  Also Apple's Preview sees them and they can be saved as tifs or jpgs, so that's really weird.

Not sure if I've updated Adobe Camera Raw recently or what (but then if I did, why would it open in Bridge and not CS3?), and why do the rest of the files from that project (all shot and imported at the same time from a job, and previously working just fine) seem to be fine?

After 45 minutes of hold time for Apple tech, and running through all the export/import/open etc..... with the tech (even sent him the raw files and he was experiencing the same problem including crashing Bridge), we couldn't pin point it to anything, other than there may be something wrong system wide with either Apple's Raw Converter and Adobe's, but who the hell knows or can tell at this point.

Also I'm having trouble generating thumbnails, regardless of how many times I try.  It shows there's something going on with the activity monitor, but nothing gets generated.  Other times, I select them and hit "generate thumbnails" and nothing happens along with nothing showing in the activity monitor.  Something's not right.

I also can't say I love the interface;  a little pedestrian and not as elegant as previous.  Hopefully what's under the hood will out weight it's looks (I'm sure we've all had partners like that as well; myself being one of them).

All files are referenced and are on-line.

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
Aperture 3 and issues
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 01:26:30 pm »

For a whole week I really struggled with Aperture 3. All sorts of problems, tried out all the web offers of solutions and things got better but not perfect. Could never load jpegs or tiffs and hang after hang after hang!

Today I did a clean install of my operating volume, which includes fresh downloads of all the software I use. It appears to be working great and I have to say this is a fantastic piece of Software from what I have seen to date.

I'm on a 10.5.8 Mac with moderate amounts of Ram and Hard Drive space!

In terms of LR - Aperture, I wish I could move things in around, rename files in Aperture like I can Lightroom, or even bridge. I know that technically I should not need ot worry about that, but I send files to different places and like to have my file name convention on the file, not the version. You can work around by using Lightroom as a glorified 'finder' and then relocating, but its just a bit of extra work. Other than that it is a LR 2/3 killer for me.

atb
Steven
image examples are at my website  [url=h

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
Aperture 3 and issues
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 02:47:52 pm »

Quote from: Steven Draper
In terms of LR - Aperture, I wish I could move things in around, rename files in Aperture like I can Lightroom, or even bridge. I know that technically I should not need ot worry about that, but I send files to different places and like to have my file name convention on the file, not the version. You can work around by using Lightroom as a glorified 'finder' and then relocating, but its just a bit of extra work. Other than that it is a LR 2/3 killer for me.

Aperture 3 will rename the actual file (master file or whatever you want to call it.)  In the Metadata>Batch Change window there is a check-off box to "Apply to Master Files" when you rename.

--
Site
Blog: Learning to See

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
Aperture 3 and issues
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 08:52:51 am »

Quote from: JonRoemer
Aperture 3 will rename the actual file (master file or whatever you want to call it.)  In the Metadata>Batch Change window there is a check-off box to "Apply to Master Files" when you rename.

--
Site
Blog: Learning to See

Wow, Thanks for that, I'll go and have a play! I think I can move the actual referenced file around too - that could be Good-bye to lightroom completely!
image examples are at my website  [url=h

JonRoemer

• http://www.jonroemer.com/
Aperture 3 and issues
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 09:26:57 am »

Quote from: Steven Draper
Wow, Thanks for that, I'll go and have a play! I think I can move the actual referenced file around too - that could be Good-bye to lightroom completely!

Not sure what you mean by move but Aperture has had the ability to move files around (ever since Aperture included the ability to use referenced files (files not physically located in Aperture's library database)).

If your files are managed (in the Aperture Library) they can be moved out of the library and become referenced files via "File>Relocate Master".

If your files are referenced (in your own folders, etc.) they can be moved anywhere on your computer or ext. hard drives via "File>Relocate Masters for Project".

If you move your files and they become disconnected from the Aperture Library, Aperture will still list them and show a lower res. preview, and you can reconnect the referenced files to the Aperture database via "File>Locate Referenced Files".

DanVH

• http://www.danhayesphotography.com
Aperture 3 and issues
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2010, 09:30:14 pm »

I installed the Aperture 3 update over the weekend and I am happy to say that it went off without any problems at all. Seems much faster than 2 and the brushes are great!
My library is about 9,000 images that have been shot on a wide variety of cameras: Olympus E10, Canon 20d, Canon G9, Canon 5d and Canon 5d mk2. All of the canon images were shot as RAW. The  only part of the process that slowed things down was the preview generation. I walked away and came back a couple of hours later and they were all done. I do not know how long it actually took, but no more than the 2 hrs I was away from the computer. Needless to  say I am very pleased with the upgrade.
Dan
Pages: [1]   Go Up