Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little Pentax KX  (Read 6782 times)

fredjeang

Little Pentax KX
« on: February 13, 2010, 11:24:55 am »

Hi,

Maybe someone might be interested in this post. If you have Pentax glass like me the KX is worth a consideration.

I purchased a Pentax KX a mouth ago. I've been looking for a small APS camera that i could carry everywhere for street photography, second body
and that's fun in use.  
My choice for Pentax has been motivated because I had some manual excellent primes from film age, and also because the brand has professional pancakes lenses available that reduce considerably the size while keeping image quality high.
If I did not have these lenses I would have probably turned my choise to MFT.

After a mouth together, the KX is very surprising, in a good way.
Small, nervous, fast enough, very fun in operation, I would compare it to a kind of Mini Cooper, or a Lotus sport car.
This little camera performs very well.

I've never liked the Samsung sensor, and the K7 did not exite me at all. But the KX has a Sony sensor, same as the D90.
It is clearly a much better sensor. High Iso quality is nothing less than exceptional. I may post some high iso pics
here later, but the little I've been able to play with is extremely good if not the best currently available in APS. You can find in the traditional
reviews online extensive material about the kX high iso capability and you'll see that I'm not exagerating.

The good points I found so far
-Very Small with decent (entry-level-like) built quality. Just about little bigger than a GF1.
-Very good 12mp Sony sensor, exceptional low-light quality for an croped sensor.
-Mirror-lock-up
-DNG files (thank you Pentax!!!)
-Extremely good battery life, lithium last long in cold weather (did more than 1000 shots in winter before signs of fatigue). You can find them in any country.
-Fast in operation, shutter speed, everything is nervous in a good way, real fun to use.
-Video mode 24fps allows manual aperture and lock exposure.
-Confortable handling, discrete, do not catch the atention (if not one of these extravagant colors available...)
-Fast processing, no sensation of waiting, responsive.(when disabled lens corrections...because then it is rather slow)
-well distributed buttons.
-The camera showed a perfect behaviour in extensive use under conditions -0 degres
-Lots of customizations, some really usefull.
-Metering accuracy pretty good.
-Design is elegant, specialy with primes.
-Built-in stab with settings for vintage lenses.
-Dust removal works just fine (although I've seen better ones)
-Good kit lens

not-so-good
-LCd resolution is average. Not trustable at all, use histogram.
-Viewfinder is what you have in this segment...really painfull for manual focussing, but I found the green light confirmation to be exact in 90%.
but it is also fair to say that it is brighter than for example a Canon 500D.
-I heard people say that shutter sound is discrete, I do not agree on that point. It is "as bad as usual".
-Live view is noisy, (you just realize it when in absolute silence).
-The built-in stab is not outstanding, I found it gave me 1.5 stop. Don't know what the "classic reviewers" found on this, it should be worth a look.

Bad.
-External conexions reduced to minimal
-With gloves some buttons are simply impossible to use. This is something recurrent in most of cameras that really p....s me off.
-Live view is too slow in autofocus contrast detection makes it virtually useless. I do not use it any more and focus manually.
-HD movie files very big.

The averall picture quality is very similar to the Nikon D90.

The Problem with Pentax DSLR is that we do not know if the brand will finaly release one day a FF camera.
Rumors etc...but nothing serious.
That is not acceptable if someone is willing to invest in a system thinking long term.
I've been waiting for a Pentax FF because I had the lenses, but it has been a too-long-wait now and I'm considering that it's time for me
to give up and move to others lands called Nikon, Canon or Sony. But I'll keep the KX, it's really a fun camera that's worth consideration.

Hope that might be a little apportation to someone interested in this little "Mini-Cooper".

Fred.

Updated cons:
-Live view reaches top temperature too fast. I do not blame Pentax for that considering the price, it just shows that it is an entry level camera.
-Tethering not supported !! (yet) this time yes, I blame Pentax for that.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 04:48:57 am by fredjeang »

mbridgers

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 11:37:45 am »

B&H has the KX with 18-55 lens for as little as 470 USD with free ground shipping.  I ordered mine (in navy blue!) yesterday.  

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6516.../1515/KBID/2055

BenjaminKanarek

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 03:11:16 pm »

A great little camera that I would have no qualms shooting professionally with.

Ben  

Dave Gurtcheff

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »

I have a boat load of high quality Pentax screw mount lenses. Some are so old they are the original "Auto Takumars" that must be manually cocked open after each shot. Will the screw mount Takumars fit with an adapter? Is metering available? Will the lenses "stop down" upon shooting, or must they be manually stopped down to shooting aperature (thus making the view dark)? The lenses have mechanical"pins" on the back of the mount that stop down the diaphragm.    
Thanks in advance
Dave

tsjanik

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:00:16 am »

Fred:

Thanks for the detailed report.  Everything I've read about the K-x is positive.  Perhaps the K-x is the reincarnation of the K1000.

Tom

fredjeang

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:32:49 am »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
I have a boat load of high quality Pentax screw mount lenses. Some are so old they are the original "Auto Takumars" that must be manually cocked open after each shot. Will the screw mount Takumars fit with an adapter? Is metering available? Will the lenses "stop down" upon shooting, or must they be manually stopped down to shooting aperature (thus making the view dark)? The lenses have mechanical"pins" on the back of the mount that stop down the diaphragm.    
Thanks in advance
Dave
Hi,
M42 lenses fit with genuine adapter. You'll have to be in M and the aperture will always be open, so you'll have to manually stopped down for metering, use the green button. That's true with all Pentax digital.
These lenses are absolutely tank built but it is a little bit of an hassle to be fair on digital...
But there are very good M and A lenses in E.bay that work much better. The A let you work in auto, the M are full manual but aperture will work properly.
Do not go for cheap Pentax K mount, there are problems and if you do not like srew drivers etc... always go for the original Pentax lenses and you're sure.

Fred.

Dave Gurtcheff

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:16:25 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
Hi,
M42 lenses fit with genuine adapter. You'll have to be in M and the aperture will always be open, so you'll have to manually stopped down for metering, use the green button. That's true with all Pentax digital.
These lenses are absolutely tank built but it is a little bit of an hassle to be fair on digital...
But there are very good M and A lenses in E.bay that work much better. The A let you work in auto, the M are full manual but aperture will work properly.
Do not go for cheap Pentax K mount, there are problems and if you do not like srew drivers etc... always go for the original Pentax lenses and you're sure.

Fred.
Thanks Fred. My lenses have a mechanical pin for stop down. The bodies have a tab that comes out with shutter release to stop the lens down. Will this feature work on the DSLR?  
Thanks again
Dave

Hoang

• http://www.hxpham.com
Little Pentax KX
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 07:28:22 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
The Problem with Pentax DSLR is that we do not know if the brand will finaly release one day a FF camera.
Rumors etc...but nothing serious.
That is not acceptable if someone is willing to invest in a system thinking long term.
I've been waiting for a Pentax FF because I had the lenses, but it has been a too-long-wait now and I'm considering that it's time for me
to give up and move to others lands called Nikon, Canon or Sony. But I'll keep the KX, it's really a fun camera that's worth consideration.
If I recall correctly,  Pentax stated in an interview that they had no plans for a FF camera. They would have the three levels K-x, K-7, and 645D.

fredjeang

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 05:22:16 am »

Quote from: Dave Gurtcheff
Thanks Fred. My lenses have a mechanical pin for stop down. The bodies have a tab that comes out with shutter release to stop the lens down. Will this feature work on the DSLR?  
Thanks again
Dave
Hi Dave,
I do not own actually these models and can not give you a sure answer. IMO it won't work but you might want to find information here:  http://www.pentaxforums.com/lens_reviews.php

And, yes: Pentax will not go FF 35mm (wich is really a pitty because all these lenses). They have choosen MF, and I think it's a good idea.
But it is also a 2 sides decision. For example, you can buy a cropped Canon and invest in 35mm lenses. Then, if requiered, you will always be able to update later to FF and keep your lenses. That will not be possible with Pentax. You'll be stucked forever in cropped sensor. So, well, again and again...CaniKon or Pentax MF.

Fred.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 05:24:25 am by fredjeang »

Er1kksen

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 11:54:17 am »

I'm not a huge fan of mini coopers, but having sold my 40D to get the K-x for a backpacking trip in south america and using it ever since, I have to say it's easily the best value I've ever had in a camera and possibly the most satisfying to use. The image quality is miles ahead of the 40D and a good bit ahead of the K20D I previously owned as well, it's not as fast as the 40D but it's certainly quite competent, it's tiny but logically laid out and all the functions are highly customizable... I don't see any upgrades on the market that are really worth it until we start getting into the $1500+range. A lot of people are excited by its high ISO abilities, but it really is so much more than just that...

Also, on Pentax FF... they have said they don't have any plans to make one, but they also don't have plans to NOT make one.  Ever since the takeover, Hoya has been pushing Pentax hard to deliver products that the market will take seriously. The K-x and K-7 are results of this, as is the final emergence of the long-awaited 645D. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pentax FF appear when Hoya feels the market is right.

Remember Nikon saying they had no interest in FF for years before the appearance of the D3?

fredjeang

Little Pentax KX
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 04:42:33 am »

Quote from: Er1kksen
I'm not a huge fan of mini coopers, but having sold my 40D to get the K-x for a backpacking trip in south america and using it ever since, I have to say it's easily the best value I've ever had in a camera and possibly the most satisfying to use. The image quality is miles ahead of the 40D and a good bit ahead of the K20D I previously owned as well, it's not as fast as the 40D but it's certainly quite competent, it's tiny but logically laid out and all the functions are highly customizable... I don't see any upgrades on the market that are really worth it until we start getting into the $1500+range. A lot of people are excited by its high ISO abilities, but it really is so much more than just that...

Also, on Pentax FF... they have said they don't have any plans to make one, but they also don't have plans to NOT make one.  Ever since the takeover, Hoya has been pushing Pentax hard to deliver products that the market will take seriously. The K-x and K-7 are results of this, as is the final emergence of the long-awaited 645D. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Pentax FF appear when Hoya feels the market is right.

Remember Nikon saying they had no interest in FF for years before the appearance of the D3?
Hope you are right. That would be fantastic to have a ff Pentax player. But there is problem: their lack of modern FF lenses. They would have to invest a lot because not everybody wants to spend time in E-bay, and they have to also do it for the 645...so Pentax need to sale a lot of gear first.
I'd like to see a FF Pentax small sized and elegant, 20MP will just be fine.

Fred.
Pages: [1]   Go Up