Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: ~ 2010 Butterfly Collection ~  (Read 25852 times)

solardarkroom.com

• http://www.solardarkroom.com
Re: ~ 2010 Butterfly Collection ~
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2010, 01:16:12 pm »

Nice Shot! That could work in both landscape and portrait too. If I'd had to guess I would have said you used some fill flash but the light was obviously just right. I've often wanted to try a ring flash just for a little fill and sparkle. I'd probably get a few more keepers since I'm always shooting into the sun ;D

JohnKoerner

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 09:17:36 am »

Nice Shot! That could work in both landscape and portrait too. If I'd had to guess I would have said you used some fill flash but the light was obviously just right. I've often wanted to try a ring flash just for a little fill and sparkle. I'd probably get a few more keepers since I'm always shooting into the sun ;D

LOL, you're right David. In checking the exif data, I actually did fire a flash. It was a few months ago, so I must have forgot. However, I am 100% certain  it wasn't the ringlight, though, but rather the pop-up on my 7D that (as you said) was used for fill.

I do agree with you that the use of a little flash in harsh sunlight makes all the difference in the world. I took several photos of this spider in both natural light as well as with flash ... and the colors in the natural photos came out terrible in the harsh light ... but they came out absolutely perfecto through the use of flash.

Jack

nass

« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2010, 11:12:53 am »

John, might I suggest, build yourself a moth trap. Moths have been a thing of mine since I was a kid and I built a Robinson trap with a MV lamp on it. My interest has waned now but I still run once a month on a timer outside the back door because my kids love it. This usually catches 50-500 moths during a night, even in winter (although they tend to be grey/brown and drab during the winter here in the UK).

-Nass

JohnKoerner

« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2010, 03:35:01 pm »

John, might I suggest, build yourself a moth trap. Moths have been a thing of mine since I was a kid and I built a Robinson trap with a MV lamp on it. My interest has waned now but I still run once a month on a timer outside the back door because my kids love it. This usually catches 50-500 moths during a night, even in winter (although they tend to be grey/brown and drab during the winter here in the UK).
-Nass

Thank you for the suggestion. While I certainly see the advantages to trapping moths, and I appreciate the suggestion, I personally don't trap anything. I know of people who even go so far as to "refrigerate" butterflies (to slow them down), and who then place the disabled butterfly on specifically-chosen flowers for added effect, and then they can just fire-away and get some really nice images.

But that kind of thing takes the magic out of it for me. I just photograph what I am lucky enough to come across :)

Jack

JohnKoerner

« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2010, 09:46:28 pm »

A few more taken today ... all natural light ...

Gulf Fritillary on Blazing Star

Gulf Fritillary on Pickerel Weed

Juniper Hairstreak on Spanish Needles

Enjoy,

Jack

solardarkroom.com

• http://www.solardarkroom.com
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2010, 08:40:41 pm »

The Gulf Frit shots are spectacular!. The dorsal shot's my favorite with the side-light punching up the surface detail so well. Did you use fill flash? I can't tell on this one so it doesn't even matter. The shot just works.

David

JohnKoerner

« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2010, 07:28:11 am »

The Gulf Frit shots are spectacular!. The dorsal shot's my favorite with the side-light punching up the surface detail so well. Did you use fill flash? I can't tell on this one so it doesn't even matter. The shot just works.
David

Looking at the exif data, the top and bottom shots were with natural light, while the center shot used a fill flash. In posting it, though, I thought the light was with natural light ... but apparently I did musta used the pop-up flash for fill. I tool so many photos that day, it's hard to remember the details of each shot. I did not bring the ringlight with me that day though, which makes the camera much lighter :)

Thanks for you comments and glad you liked them!

Jack

JohnKoerner

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 11:15:46 am »

Zarucco Duskywing (crop)

JohnKoerner

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 11:25:59 am »

Some cool moths ...

Angle-Winged Emerald

Melonworm Moth

Unknown Moth