Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: D3 lcd-monitor adjustment  (Read 1626 times)

tongelsing

D3 lcd-monitor adjustment
« on: February 05, 2010, 11:40:06 am »

Is there any way to alter the color and contrast of the lcd-monitor of a D3?
My camera-monitor is too contrasty and has too much red especially when the lightconditions are poor.
So the monitor doesn't give a good feedback of the photoquality. Very often my indoorphoto's look very poor but on the big computerscreen (ACR 5.6) they look good.

I am a indoorshooter (schoolphotography) and the lightning conditions, color and intensity, are changing all the time. So I have set my camera to  AutoWB and it does a very good job except for the lcd-monitor.  Shooting in RAW-format.

The appearance of the LCD-monitor does not follow the in-camera JPG-adjustments except for the WB-adjustment.

Ton

LKaven

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 01:31:28 pm »

The D3 LCD is supposed to be calibrated.  Whether it is or not, what you see on the LCD is determined by the settings of the picture controls -- the current JPG settings.  If you want it to accurately reflect your RAW exposure data, you would want to sent the picture control to "neutral" which is the linear sensor capture.  This way, the histogram will accurately reflect the highlight exposure, and the colors will not be affected by any tone curve.  Keep the saturation, contrast, sharpness settings off to avoid further artifacts.  I usually set LCD (as opposed to picture) brightness = -1 in order to give me a better indication of the true brightness.

Does this help, or is the problem elsewhere?

tongelsing

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 08:48:42 am »

Sorry to say but it does not help. As I stated; the incamera-jpg/picture controls do not alter the LCD-monitor color/contrast.

Ton

LKaven

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 11:42:56 am »

I apologize, somehow the last line of your original post did not penetrate on the first read.  That is more mysterious.  I think your problem is not how to adjust the monitor (which shouldn't be necessary), but why the monitor is not displaying according to your picture settings.  I don't know why it would display WB correctly but not anything else.  Not quite ready to suggest that your firmware is outright broken.   Should I assume you've tried all the most extreme settings for picture controls and seen no difference so far?

David Saffir

• http://davidsaffir.wordpress.com
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 03:24:59 pm »

The LCD brightness control is located in the on-camera menu. Go to the Setup menu on the back of the camera, and then LCD brightness.

David
David Saffir
[url=http://davidsaffir.wor
Pages: [1]   Go Up