Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparing before/after in C1?  (Read 5028 times)

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
Comparing before/after in C1?
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:46:51 pm »

The C1 "User Guide"/"Help" is a joke.  To use a pdf for a help file is just lame.  And Adobe is imitating!  But that's a rant for another day.

I like to see the before/after when I make an adjustment, but I haven't found a way to do that in C1.  

I like C1 in a lot of ways and it seems to do better with my P1 back than Adobe CR does.  The images are more pleasing, I think, but the missing before/after is annoying.

Did I overlook something?

\\'alt
Walter Hawn -- Casper, Wyoming

Joe Behar

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 06:58:32 pm »

Quote from: whawn
The C1 "User Guide"/"Help" is a joke.  To use a pdf for a help file is just lame.  And Adobe is imitating!  But that's a rant for another day.

I like to see the before/after when I make an adjustment, but I haven't found a way to do that in C1.  

I like C1 in a lot of ways and it seems to do better with my P1 back than Adobe CR does.  The images are more pleasing, I think, but the missing before/after is annoying.

\\'alt

Easiest way is to make a variant (or clone, depending on if you want to start off with an "original" or not). Edit the variant to your heart's content and you can put up the primary and variant side by side. The nice thing about this feature is that you can repaeat it as much as you wish and have a before, after, after 1 , after 2, after 3 and so on....

tho_mas

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2010, 06:35:05 am »

Variants work quite good here.
However you can preview on/off adjusments by pressing the ALT key and click on the "reset" icon of the respective tool.

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2010, 12:01:51 pm »

+1 variants...
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2010, 07:50:42 pm »

Thanks for the help.  I'll put it in practice.

\\'alt

tho_mas

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 04:31:53 am »

Thanks for the help.  I'll put it in practice.
The upside of variants here is that you don't have a lag in redraw - you simply switch from "original" to variant or maybe look at the variants in multi view mode. With ALT|Reset the preview redraws.
On the other hand it depends on how you work with variants in general. If you just use it for comparision it's clearly the better/faster way for comparsion as you can collapse all the variants after you've finished editing.
I am also processing some of my variants so I can't collapse all variants when I select the images I want to process. So I could collapse single variants or just keep them all expanded - but then selecting the final images to process is a bit inconvenient.
So I actually use both variants and ALT|Reset ... whatever works better in a certain situation.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 10:22:09 am »

\\'alt

This is one area where Lightroom is really superior to C1.  Having a history pallete which allows you to go back to any point in the editing history very useful.  I am new to C1 and had not thought of using clone variants for this purpose, but I will give it a try.

Rob

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:36:13 am »

To use a pdf for a help file is just lame.
I'm not looking to stoke flames here, but I used to prefer a hardcopy User Guide, too. I now prefer and use online user guides much more frequently. Why? They are quickly searchable. For example, I use Apple's Logic Pro for recording and wanted to find some detailed information on an effect. Within 5 seconds of opening the document I found every instance of the name of that effect in a 600 page document.

If/when I want a hard copy of a User Guide, I print it out in duplex format and bind it at my local Quick Print or Kinko's.
~ CB

whawn

• The Daily Photograph™
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 03:58:42 pm »

Quote from: Chris_Brown
I'm not looking to stoke flames here, but I used to prefer a hardcopy User Guide, too. I now prefer and use online user guides ....

If/when I want a hard copy of a User Guide, I print it out in duplex format and bind it at my local Quick Print or Kinko's.
I have no problem with a PDF user guide, to be printed or not as I choose (although for a $400 program, I think they could kill a few trees for me, instead of leaving it to me and my laser-jet).  But MS's help system is, when implemented properly -- as Adobe proved with CS2 -- marvelous, and should be used whenever possible.

I can even understand why an outfit would shift from .chm to .htm, as Adobe did with CS4 -- it's more cross-platform, and they did very well with it.  <rant> H'ever, the .htm is on *their* servers.  Not local.  If I want a local 'User Guide' copy, I must DL a mess of PDFs. The ones that should be on the program DVD!  yeesh!

The late trend to using a single PDF, laid out as if for printing, as the one and only 'help' file is ludicrous. The C1 'User Guide' is in its own category.  It's badly organized, incomplete, clumsily written, and lacks depth.  And it's the only 'help' C1 offers.  Maybe a real .chm file from them wouldn't be any better, now that I think about it. </rant>
\\'alt

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 04:46:15 pm »

H'ever, the .htm is on *their* servers.  Not local.  If I want a local 'User Guide' copy, I must DL a mess of PDFs. The ones that should be on the program DVD!
I use a Canon iPF8000 printer and that "manual" is in html on my computer (a pathetic excuse for a manual, too). The format is okay but not searchable, with the link for more information a dead link on Canon's web site.

I agree that all user guides in PDF format should be on the install DVD. I don't know what Adobe was thinking with they excluded it from the disk.
~ CB
Pages: [1]   Go Up