Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new on the road backup?  (Read 2644 times)

adrian tyler

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
    • http://www.adriantyler.net/
new on the road backup?
« on: January 28, 2010, 03:10:59 am »

looks like what i've been dreaming about for a small portable backup device, what do you think?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
Logged

Ken Bennett

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1797
    • http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
new on the road backup?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 07:25:20 am »

Not sure about that, since it only has 64GB max drive space. I carry almost that much in compact flash cards, and for me it's cheaper to just buy more cards and not have to download them on the road.

In my mind, the iPad is my new portable portfolio. I can carry it in my camera bag or my briefcase, always ready for a quick show. It'll be much faster to use than my Macbook Pro, and it has a larger screen than my iTouch. The fact that it has wi-fi access for email and web is a nice bonus.
Logged
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Scott O.

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 315
    • Photography by Scott and Joyce
new on the road backup?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:49:02 am »

Adrian you read my mind!  Couple of things:  I haven't been able to find out if it works with RAW files.  The iPod would store the files but you couldn't view them.  And don't know if you can attach an external hard drive, which would make up for the smallish flash drive.  And lastly, how fast is the download speed?  My Nexto is about 1 second per image.  If it is too slow you could eat up a 10 hour battery relatively quickly.  But if it works for aux storage it would be great for me, much better than lugging around a laptop.  I suspect I'll be in line when it is released in March!  Whoever gets one first can post their experiences...

adrian tyler

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
    • http://www.adriantyler.net/
new on the road backup?
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:33:04 pm »

hmmmm, not sure, there is a usb port but it looks like is has to go through the dock:

"iPad Camera Connection Kit. The Camera Connection Kit gives you two ways to import photos and videos from a digital camera. The Camera Connector lets you import your photos and videos to iPad using the camera’s USB cable. Or you can use the SD Card Reader to import photos and videos directly from the camera’s SD card."
Logged

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4035
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
new on the road backup?
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:24:24 am »

Quote from: adrian tyler
looks like what i've been dreaming about for a small portable backup device, what do you think?

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

The iTampon? Waste of money, IMO. For $299 you can get a netbook with 160GB, a real keyboard, a (slightly) larger screen, and the ability to load Lightroom or another RAW file viewing app. The iPad is a bit smaller a lighter, and with the more expensive models gives you the capability to connect to a cell phone network that is often glacially slow due to all the iPhone users downloading video. Imagine my thrill!
Logged
Peter

"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" -- D.P. Moynihan

adrian tyler

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 103
    • http://www.adriantyler.net/
new on the road backup?
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 01:17:50 pm »

Quote from: PeterAit
The iTampon? Waste of money, IMO. For $299 you can get a netbook with 160GB, a real keyboard, a (slightly) larger screen, and the ability to load Lightroom or another RAW file viewing app. The iPad is a bit smaller a lighter, and with the more expensive models gives you the capability to connect to a cell phone network that is often glacially slow due to all the iPhone users downloading video. Imagine my thrill!


" I have heard these voices before. In June 2007 when the iPhone was launched I collected a long list of "not impressed", "meh", "big deal", "style over substance", "it's all hype", "my HTC TyTN can do more", "what a disappointment", "majorly underwhelmed" and similar reactions. ... Even if it had proved a commercial and business disaster instead of an astounding success, iPhone would remain the most significant release of its generation because of its effect on the smartphone habitat. Does anybody seriously believe that Google, Nokia, Samsung, Palm, BlackBerry and a dozen others would since have produced the product line they have without the 100,000-volt Taser shot up the jacksie that the iPhone delivered to the entire market?

Nonetheless, even if they couldn't see that three billion apps would be downloaded in two years (that's half a million app downloads a day, give or take) could they not see that this device was gorgeous, beautifully made, very powerful and capable of development into something extraordinary? I see those qualities in the iPad. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/...-fry-apple-ipad
Logged

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4035
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
new on the road backup?
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 06:41:59 pm »

Quote from: adrian tyler
" I have heard these voices before. In June 2007 when the iPhone was launched I collected a long list of "not impressed", "meh", "big deal", "style over substance", "it's all hype", "my HTC TyTN can do more", "what a disappointment", "majorly underwhelmed" and similar reactions. ... Even if it had proved a commercial and business disaster instead of an astounding success, iPhone would remain the most significant release of its generation because of its effect on the smartphone habitat. Does anybody seriously believe that Google, Nokia, Samsung, Palm, BlackBerry and a dozen others would since have produced the product line they have without the 100,000-volt Taser shot up the jacksie that the iPhone delivered to the entire market?

Nonetheless, even if they couldn't see that three billion apps would be downloaded in two years (that's half a million app downloads a day, give or take) could they not see that this device was gorgeous, beautifully made, very powerful and capable of development into something extraordinary? I see those qualities in the iPad. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/...-fry-apple-ipad

And how, pray tell, is the history of the iPhone relevant to the iPad? Oh wait, I forgot - Apple can do no wrong. Silly me!
Logged
Peter

"You are entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts" -- D.P. Moynihan
Pages: [1]   Go Up