Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?  (Read 2439 times)

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:29:28 pm »

I've used Serengetis for the past 10 years but want to also check out any other sunglasses that people use when traveling on photography trips. This is for 4-season use for mountains, deserts, some snow, etc.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:37:05 pm by Paul Sumi »
Logged

Christoph C. Feldhaim

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2509
  • There is no rule! No - wait ...
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 03:01:06 pm »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
I've used Serengetis for the past 10 years but want to also check out any other sunglasses that people use when traveling on photography trips. This is for 4-season use for mountains, deserts, some snow, etc.

Any recommendations appreciated.

Paul

Just avoid polarized glasses or you'll have a funny time with any electronic display / EVF  ....

JeffKohn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1668
    • http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »

Quote from: ChristophC
Just avoid polarized glasses or you'll have a funny time with any electronic display / EVF  ....
I actually prefer polarized glasses, because they can help me see what effect a polarizing filter will have the scene without having to get the filter out to see. When actually shooting I remove my sunglasses anyway (neckstrap is handy), so they don't interfere with viewing LCD's..
Logged
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Christoph C. Feldhaim

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2509
  • There is no rule! No - wait ...
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 03:53:49 pm »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I actually prefer polarized glasses, because they can help me see what effect a polarizing filter will have the scene without having to get the filter out to see. When actually shooting I remove my sunglasses anyway (neckstrap is handy), so they don't interfere with viewing LCD's..

If it is so I'd suggest you look into some polarized, low reflex Kodak Glasses (which are awesome to my eyes at least).

feppe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2906
  • Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 04:04:44 pm »

I bought a pair of Wiley X Revolver sunglasses a while back mainly for motorcycle riding, and am absolutely in love with them. I've had numerous brand glasses over the years, many polarized, with quality lenses from either Bausch&Lomb or Luxottica, but these blow everything out of the water. The wrap-around polarized amber lenses are bright but give plenty of glare protection. I don't know who makes their lenses, but the marketing blurb claims 8 or 9 layers with scratch resistance.

They have quite a few different styles, not only the army/biker style.

Your use demands wrap-around design and/or (detachable) brow covers, lanyard, and scratch resistance. The pair I bought came with a lanyard, and are built like a tank. And they're rated to withstand quite a bit of abuse - so if you ever get shot in the face by a (birdshot) shotgun, at least your eyes will survive

bradf

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 29
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 04:07:37 pm »

My advice would be to get correct optical prescription sunglasses. My present ones (Maui Jims) are just that , and even though I only require a small correction for long distance (ie normal sunglasses are adequate) the effect is stunning.
Cheers,
bradf
Logged

Luis Argerich

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
  • Astrolandscaper
    • http://www.luisargerich.com/
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 04:18:21 pm »

I also use Wiley-X glasses. Very strong durable and comfy for me to use.
I use the Romer II model or the SG-1 they have some years so I guess there are a lot of newer models today

Luigi

Christoph C. Feldhaim

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2509
  • There is no rule! No - wait ...
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 04:21:37 pm »

Quote from: bradf
My advice would be to get correct optical prescription sunglasses. My present ones (Maui Jims) are just that , and even though I only require a small correction for long distance (ie normal sunglasses are adequate) the effect is stunning.
Cheers,
bradf

+1
I have some Astigmatism on both eyes an a little spherical Myopia. The corrected Kodak glasses I have saved my summer .....

PneuBee

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 11:09:17 pm »

I wear neutral grey sunglasses when I'm out with my camera. One spring day while I was out shooting wildflowers, I was shocked to see all of the yellow ones almost disappear (turned grey) when I put on my "brown" sunglasses. Obviously there are other color effects that occur with anything other than a grey lens. Who knows what you might miss.
Logged

JeffKohn

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1668
    • http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Sunglasses for Photographing in the Outdoors?
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2010, 02:34:54 am »

Quote from: PneuBee
I wear neutral grey sunglasses when I'm out with my camera. One spring day while I was out shooting wildflowers, I was shocked to see all of the yellow ones almost disappear (turned grey) when I put on my "brown" sunglasses. Obviously there are other color effects that occur with anything other than a grey lens. Who knows what you might miss.
Yeah I don't like those colored lenses. I had one pair that if you wore long enough, colors looked funny for a while even after you removed them.

I'll look into the Wiley-X's if they really are that durable. I usually don't like to spend much on sunglasses because I'm pretty rough on them (and have been known to lose a few pairs as well). My past experience has been that the $100+ glasses aren't any better made than the $25 ones.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 02:35:41 am by JeffKohn »
Logged
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww
Pages: [1]   Go Up