Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Extended warranty for Epson 7900  (Read 2959 times)

michael a

Extended warranty for Epson 7900
« on: January 22, 2010, 10:26:35 pm »

Like many of you, I had three separate repair visits for my Epson 7900.  It still doesn't operate correctly with regards to the AID and I just turned it off.  The standard warranty is about to expire.  The question is how likely the printer will continue to have problems, and how expensive it is to have a single on-site repair for labor and parts.  Assuming the parts are standard parts like wipers or parts to the AID and not a complete head.  I live in a major metro area, the Washington DC area, but the repair guy lived in the far rural fringe of DC, so he still had to travel a fair distance if the hourly charge for travel time applies if I had to pay for all of his time.

The one year extended warranty is $700 and the two year is $1300.  So how much is one repair visit for labor and parts, of the type of repairs we have all had so far?

I am an amateur and use the printer infrequently compared to what it is designed for.  So I also can't judge the likelihood that some parts will fail in the next two years if I buy a two year extended warranty.  How long do parts like wipers last?  Any other parts that fail after two or three years of total ownership?

The info on the B&H web site says that either the one year or two year warranty must be purchased while still under the standard warranty.  That implies that you can't buy a one year extended warranty, and then extend it for another year after that.  You either buy the one year extended warranty, and then you are done, or you buy the two year extended warranty, and you're done.  If that is the case, it might make sense to buy the two year warranty.

What is the experience of everyone with Epson large format printers and whether an extended warranty at such a high price is worth it?  Although the 7900 might be a different beast all together, and given how many of us have had serious problems, the question is whether the problems will just continue -- so an extended warranty is a necessity

Thanks in advance for any responses and advice.

Mussi_Spectraflow

• http://www.spectraflow.com
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 02:06:53 pm »

Michael,

In regards to the AIS issues I suspect that they may be largely related to the firmware of the device as a lot of people are having issues with the device being overly sensitive. Epson has said that they are working to address this. But if you've had a number of site visits then there may be something else going on too? Also there used to be an option to buy an extended warranty after the 1 year had expired at a slightly higher rate and assuming that the printer was working correctly, I believe this is still the case.

Regarding warranties in general they are wonderful high margin items that dealers, like ourselves, love to sell. That said, unlike the warranty they tried to sell me when I bought my 4 yo a bike, they can be worth the cost. In production environments many companies require that warranties accompany the purchase of a new printer because they don't want to allocate additional funds for repairs if and when they come up. Since it sounds like you're not in the position where having an out of commission printer is going to cause you to loose money.

Repairs handled under warranty are billed to epson and they contract out repair centers to do the work. You don't have to worry about the cost of parts, time or travel expenses and there is also an expectation of a hasty repair. Out of warranty work is like going to the mechanic, the parts are only part of the bill, what really starts to add up is the cost of labour, and if they replace one part and that doesn't do the trick then you may have to pay for additional visits, which can get pricy. It also will vary depending on the experience of the tech and the ethics of the repair center.

In my experiences high volume printers will generally see issues with paper feed mechanics and pump and cap assembly in the 2-3 year range. These are fixes in the range of a couple hundred bucks usually. If the print head has a problem that an automatic 1K plus fix, although I haven't seen many instances of that aside, from out of the box lemons or in the cases where a head strike causes damage to the head. But it can happen. All in all the 7900 is built for production work, although it arguably is a bit more of a complex machine than the 7880 was. The previous generation epson's were generally very well built, probably the most common repair i've seen in the paper release handle coming loose or breaking on the 24" and 44" printers and the paper feed rollers getting gummed with paper dust on the 17" printers.

I'd say that the odds of a large problem in the second year with light use is pretty slim, a bit more in the third and then getting more and more likely after that, which is why you don't see five year warranties for the printers. Just like the 40K warranty on a car, the problems are likely to start around 50K miles. That's my honest feeling. If you want to do your homework get the name of the closest authorized service center and get a quote for a pump and cap assembly for the printer assuming it's out of warranty and ask what they charge for labour, use that to calculate your risk. Also keep in mind that this is technology, and while the print technology seems like it may have started to plateau a bit, maybe we'll see a full width print head or some great new advancement in ink formulation in a few years and repairing a three year old printer may not be worth it?

In summary i think that the main value of the warranty is to know at the time of purchase that the cost of ownership is fixed for a period of two or three years, and that you can expect a quick fix to any issues. When you're making money from the printer this makes pretty clear sense, when it's lightly used it's less clear.
Julian Mussi
 Spectraflow, Color Workflow

michael a

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:43:30 pm »

Julian:

Thanks very much for the incredibly thoughtful and detailed response.  It is greatly appreciated.  I remember other posts that spoke highly of the sales and support from your company.  I can see why, and will call you when I'm considering the purchase of a new printer.  But I certainly hope and assume, with or without a warranty, that the 7900 should last me for another two or three years at a minimum.

By the way, I was not at all impressed with the quality and caliber of the Epson authorized repair in Washington DC.  The person who visited me was their best and most senior tech repairman, which makes my story all the more remarkable.  He replaced a part, and it was the part that includes wipers.  (The part was defective, but the wipers were OK.)  But his new part didn't actually have wipers.  So he was supposed to take the wipers off the defective part, and transfer them to the new part.  The repairman didn't do that.  So when he left after the first visit, I had a printer without wipers.  Duhhhh.  The amount of ink consumed in endless cleanings soared.  Even the Epson tech support reached on the 800 number correctly guessed what he did wrong.  So he had to come back a second time.  (He also insisted on prying open the doors for the ink cartridges with his fingers, and ignore the release button.  He would have continuously forced them open if I had not insisted that he use the release button.  I have no idea if forcing them open with you fingers causes any harm or not -- but he clearly didn't know either, or care.)

So I assume the worst with Epson authorized repair in Washington, DC.  If I had to pay for it, it would be two visits.  

Having said that, I might pass on the $1300 for the two year extended warranty, and gamble that I won't have any more problems for the next two years, since two visits would match or exceed $1300.  Since I posted my question, I learned that the minimum charge, for an independent but Epson-authorized tech to even walk out of their shop to come and see you, is apparently about $400.  Travel time and labor is apparently well over $100 per hour, and parts is in addition to that.  One visit, even for a routine item, can easily then hit $700 or more.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 08:48:40 pm by michael a »
Pages: [1]   Go Up