Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Considering a new 50mm prime  (Read 4127 times)

dougster_ling

Considering a new 50mm prime
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:07:37 pm »

I am looking for a new 50mm prime for my 5Dm2 and am considering the Zeiss 50mm f2. I have recently used the Canon 50mm 1.2 and liked it. Has anybody used the Zeiss 50 f/2 yet on the Canon? What are your thoughts?

Doug

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 03:30:08 am »

I've purchased the Digilloyd review and looked over all his 1:1 images and I must say if you dont need f1.4 and autofocus it is the best 50mm around for Canon.

it's not cheap but then again you get the flexiblity of a macro and a lens which performs at infinity.

I must say it is on my current 'to buy' list.

jake21

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 07:47:09 am »

Quote from: DaveDn
I've purchased the Digilloyd review and looked over all his 1:1 images and I must say if you dont need f1.4 and autofocus it is the best 50mm around for Canon.

it's not cheap but then again you get the flexiblity of a macro and a lens which performs at infinity.

I must say it is on my current 'to buy' list.

There are mix comments on fredmiranda. Many feel the 50f1.4 (zeiss) make a better landscape lens. While the 50f2 has higher resolution (esp near focus) they seem to prefer the 'drawing' of the 50f1.4 a bit better but this is all very subjective.

My personal view is I really liked the contax c/y system and I did pick up the 35f2 ze; but I'm not so sure the 50f2 is cost effective.

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:20:20 am »

Depends what you're going to shoot. The Zeiss f/2 is not at it's best when shooting landscapes. For anything closer than 20-25 feet it's wonderful, but beyond that it loses a bit of sharpness. I ended up returning mine because of that.
"The real voyage of discove

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 03:29:47 am »

Interesting, I have also read mixed comments on fredmiranda regarding infinity performance. Some say it's great and others prefer the f1.4.

Lloyd chamber states that performance is very good from closeup to infinity.

I have also read that the zeiss macro design was 1:2 instead of 1:1 to enable good performance at infinity.

likewise I'm also looking at the 35 f2 ze.

Quote from: jake21
There are mix comments on fredmiranda. Many feel the 50f1.4 (zeiss) make a better landscape lens. While the 50f2 has higher resolution (esp near focus) they seem to prefer the 'drawing' of the 50f1.4 a bit better but this is all very subjective.

My personal view is I really liked the contax c/y system and I did pick up the 35f2 ze; but I'm not so sure the 50f2 is cost effective.

Anthony R

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 11:51:52 am »

I'd buy and test alternative lenses. I have three 50s I use regularly: Volna 9 f2.8 (very pleasing bokeh), Zuiko 50 1.8 (cheap, great color, sharpness and contrast) and a Super Takamura 50 1.5? (also very nice, it's a k mount so I had to remove the aperture lever so it didn't hit the mirror on my 5d2. Cheap, very sharp and really great focusing action). If you find you don't like a lens, resell it. You'll probably end up keeping more than one. The Zeiss is too expensive for it's performance.

Plekto

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 03:44:53 pm »

My vote goes for the Zeiss 1.4, since the Zeiss 1.2 and Canon 1.0(if you can find one that is) are such that the last stop isn't really usable and you have to back it off to 1.4 or so anyways.  But the 1.4 is really really nice(and costs a lot less than the 1.2 as well - nice bonus).

philber

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 05:06:32 pm »

Doug, it really depends what your priorities are. If you want to shoot moving targets, forget MF lenses for example. If you look at Canon 50L f:1.2, like Sigma 50 f:1.4, it is optimized for close up wide open performance, and it maximizes background blur. But using the Canon for landscape shots at infinity would not produce best-of-class results. The Zeiss 50 ZE Planar f:1.4 is the exact opposite. Superlative for landscape/cityscape (my use), but not so comfortable wide open close up. The Zeiss 50 ZE Makro Planar f:2.0 is, of course, much sharper up close than the f:1.4ZE. It is, as befits a Makro lens, übersharp close up, plus it offers the traditional attributes of Zeiss: vivid colours, great contrast, both micro and macro, 3D effect. Opinions on its performance at infinity are mixed. Some say it is better than f:1.4, some less so. It seems to be a matter of personal perference. If you are first and foremost for sharpness, 50MP is the way to go. If you are more into drawing style and rendition, the f:1.4 should be your friend. Hope this helps

dougster_ling

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 08:39:20 pm »

Quote from: philber
Doug, it really depends what your priorities are. If you want to shoot moving targets, forget MF lenses for example. If you look at Canon 50L f:1.2, like Sigma 50 f:1.4, it is optimized for close up wide open performance, and it maximizes background blur. But using the Canon for landscape shots at infinity would not produce best-of-class results. The Zeiss 50 ZE Planar f:1.4 is the exact opposite. Superlative for landscape/cityscape (my use), but not so comfortable wide open close up. The Zeiss 50 ZE Makro Planar f:2.0 is, of course, much sharper up close than the f:1.4ZE. It is, as befits a Makro lens, übersharp close up, plus it offers the traditional attributes of Zeiss: vivid colours, great contrast, both micro and macro, 3D effect. Opinions on its performance at infinity are mixed. Some say it is better than f:1.4, some less so. It seems to be a matter of personal perference. If you are first and foremost for sharpness, 50MP is the way to go. If you are more into drawing style and rendition, the f:1.4 should be your friend. Hope this helps

Thanks all, I think I'll drift over to the Zeiss 1.4 since most of my work is landscape type images.

philber

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 02:20:03 am »

Doug, I overlooked in my post that you were also looking at ZE 35 f:2.0. That lens has all the attributes of both the Planar 50 f:1.4 and of the 50 MP f:2.0. Lovely rendering style all the way to infinity, and bitingly sharp up close, where, with its short MFD, close up-shots of leaves, flowers are amazing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up