Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing tiff in ACR; where's the data?  (Read 4217 times)

mouse

Editing tiff in ACR; where's the data?
« on: January 15, 2010, 11:23:07 pm »

Recently, for the first time, I had the occassion to edit a tiff file (scan from a slide) using ACR.  I was very pleased with the outcome.  When I finished editing the image, I simply clicked "Done".  When the tiff was reviewed in Bridge, and when subsequently opened in PSCS3, the edits were intact.  I began to wonder where the editing "instructions" were stored.  I know the edits were "parametric" or nondestructive, because I can open the image again in Bridge and revert to the original image using "Develop Settings"  I assumed they would be somewhere in a sidecar (xmp) file, but I can find no such file in the folder or elsewhere on the drive.  In Camera Raw Preferences I had selected "Save image settings in sidecar ".xmp" files.

Any clues?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 11:42:45 pm »

Quote from: mouse
I began to wonder where the editing "instructions" were stored.

The edits are stored in the .xmp blocks inside the TIFF file...note Bridge will see them but other applications won't until you actually OPEN (note Done) the file and save it...

mouse

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:29:23 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
The edits are stored in the .xmp blocks inside the TIFF file...note Bridge will see them but other applications won't until you actually OPEN (note Done) the file and save it...

Thanks Jeff.
That's interesting.  It explains why, once a tiff has been edited in ACR, it cannot be opened directly in Photoshop without first running through ACR.

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:06:55 pm »

It explains why, once a tiff has been edited in ACR, it cannot be opened directly in Photoshop without first running through ACR.

Nope...that's a function of the Camera Raw preferences...you CAN turn that off and you can also hold the shift key to open the tiff in Photoshop bypassing the Camera Raw dlog...

mouse

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 08:07:20 pm »

Quote from: Schewe
Nope...that's a function of the Camera Raw preferences...you CAN turn that off and you can also hold the shift key to open the tiff in Photoshop bypassing the Camera Raw dlog...

Thanks again.  Indeed, holding the shift key and double clicking does open the tiff directly in Photoshop.  Strangely enough, just selecting the image in Bridge and then File>Open With>Adobe Photoshop  does not bypass ACR.

Schewe

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 11:49:33 pm »

Strangely enough, just selecting the image in Bridge and then File>Open With>Adobe Photoshop  does not bypass ACR.

Not at all strange...since the Camera Raw preferences dictate, the file will open in Camera Raw unless you change the prefs or hold down the shift key...this is all "as designed".
Pages: [1]   Go Up