Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The iMac Calibration Conundrum  (Read 6241 times)

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
The iMac Calibration Conundrum
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:06:23 am »

I just published a new blog entry about my experience calibrating a 24" Apple iMac.  If you own an iMac or are thinking of purchasing one you might find the article helpful.  Check out "The iMac Calibration Conundrum".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 04:16:51 pm by bretedge »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 10:18:10 am »

Did you try (and fail?) using the software that shipped with the EyeOne Display-2?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

tokengirl

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:11:37 am »

Good information.

I'm using the Colormunki Photo, and it does get the "radioactively bright" screen under control without the use of additional software.  Very easy to use, results are excellent.

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:12:41 am »

Quote from: digitaldog
Did you try (and fail?) using the software that shipped with the EyeOne Display-2?

Sort of.  I tried the software packaged w/ the i1 and while it was better the monitor was still far too bright.  I found that images posted online were too dark when viewed on other properly calibrated monitors.  However, I did not try making any prints based off the profile created by the i1 software.

On a different note, I just spoke with Apple and they claim the brightness issue has been resolved in the new line of LED backlit iMacs.  If that is true, the ColorEyes software won't be necessary to achieve a properly calibrated monitor using the software packaged with whatever calibration hardware you choose.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:14:06 am by bretedge »

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:09 am »

Quote from: tokengirl
Good information.

I'm using the Colormunki Photo, and it does get the "radioactively bright" screen under control without the use of additional software.  Very easy to use, results are excellent.

That's great to hear!  What generation iMac are you using?

tokengirl

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 11:20:54 am »

Quote from: bretedge
What generation iMac are you using?

Not the newest one, but the one before that (24").  Got it in March '09.  Not sure what "generation" that is?

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 11:29:46 am »

Quote from: tokengirl
Not the newest one, but the one before that (24").  Got it in March '09.  Not sure what "generation" that is?

Okay, you're using the same one as me.  I bought mine in March '09, too.  Good to know that you had success with Colormunki Photo.  Always good to have options.

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 12:19:00 pm »

On a different note, I just spoke with Apple and they claim the brightness issue has been resolved in the new line of LED backlit iMacs. .
Hey Bret! I can confirm that the issue has been resolved on the new iMacs. I don't know why they don't resolve it on the previous generation iMacs with a firmware update.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 02:54:56 pm »

Quote from: Onsight
Hey Bret! I can confirm that the issue has been resolved on the new iMacs. I don't know why they don't resolve it on the previous generation iMacs with a firmware update.

Excellent news!  Now they just need to do something about the glossy screen.  It would be a step in the right direction to correct the issue on previous iMac's with a firmware update.  Good thinking.  Apple, you listening?

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 02:59:13 pm »

Excellent news!  Now they just need to do something about the glossy screen.  It would be a step in the right direction to correct the issue on previous iMac's with a firmware update.  Good thinking.  Apple, you listening?
You can take some strong tape and pull your glass front right off - it's just held on by magnets. Actually I think the glass isn't so bad when people have excellent lighting without glare in their studios. If these displays make people think twice about their lighting then maybe it's a good thing.

I wish they'd keep the glass and put the same kind of anti-glare coatings we have on our lenses and museum glass used in framing.

Can't wait to get back to your part of the world!
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 04:19:31 pm »

You can take some strong tape and pull your glass front right off - it's just held on by magnets. Actually I think the glass isn't so bad when people have excellent lighting without glare in their studios. If these displays make people think twice about their lighting then maybe it's a good thing.

I wish they'd keep the glass and put the same kind of anti-glare coatings we have on our lenses and museum glass used in framing.

Can't wait to get back to your part of the world!

Hey Scott,

A non-glare coating would be fantastic!  I have a big window behind me that I have to cover with a large black blanket when I'm processing images or the glare gives me a raging headache.

Looking forward to seeing you here in a couple months!

Scott Martin

• Onsight
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 05:51:21 pm »

I have a big window behind me that I have to cover with a large black blanket..
Positioning workstations so that window light comes in from the side is sometimes a good idea.
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

bretedge

• Bret Edge Photography
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2010, 09:23:20 pm »

Positioning workstations so that window light comes in from the side is sometimes a good idea.

I wish I could.  My office is small and totally cramped.  No room to move anything around.  Thanks for the idea, though.  I'll keep that in mind when I get a bigger office!

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 05:19:18 pm »

Am gonna give it a try with the Spyder3 Hardware on an MacBook Pro 13".

Mark F

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 11:24:15 pm »

I had the same problem with my 24" iMac about 2 years ago. I asked for help here and it was recommended that I use ColorEyes Display Pro software with my eye-one display 2 hardware. Problem solved.
Mark

JessicaLuchesi

• http://www.jessicaluchesi.com
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2010, 06:49:24 pm »

Quote from: Mark F
I had the same problem with my 24" iMac about 2 years ago. I asked for help here and it was recommended that I use ColorEyes Display Pro software with my eye-one display 2 hardware. Problem solved.

I think this software is more spot on and worth the money, than for example, upgrading the software from Spyder3 Pro to Elite. Even if it does take a while longer to understand and getting used to.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2010, 07:11:21 pm »

I tried the software packaged w/ the i1 and while it was better the monitor was still far too bright.  I found that images posted online were too dark when viewed on other properly calibrated monitors.  However, I did not try making any prints based off the profile created by the i1 software.

What target for cd/m2 did you ask for? I don’t understand the display is too bright, and online color managed images were too dark. Are you going to be viewing prints?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up