Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How do you stretch your canvas?  (Read 1989 times)

Xanthor

How do you stretch your canvas?
« on: January 12, 2010, 03:06:04 am »

I have a z3100 and started to play with canvas ... since it seems its supposed to be good at that.

Anyways I have tinkered a bit and wonder what people do.  Do you all stretch with machine?  or by hand?

Are those stupid stretcher plyers worth ANYTHING?  eeeh

About the corners? How do you handle the corners? Do you cut the corners? any cuts?  Strictly fold?

About spraying - Do you spray then stretch or stretch then spray? Do you not spray at all and use that expensive art stuff?

namartinnz

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 03:20:37 am »

Quote from: Xanthor
I have a z3100 and started to play with canvas ... since it seems its supposed to be good at that.

Anyways I have tinkered a bit and wonder what people do.  Do you all stretch with machine?  or by hand?

Are those stupid stretcher plyers worth ANYTHING?  eeeh

About the corners? How do you handle the corners? Do you cut the corners? any cuts?  Strictly fold?

About spraying - Do you spray then stretch or stretch then spray? Do you not spray at all and use that expensive art stuff?

I use Holbein stretcher pliers and do it by hand - light and strong well worth the high cost.

I use glue on the edges and rear - way different to the usual way of stapling. All corners are trimmed.
I coat with Breathing Color Glamour II before stretching - really good coating for my purposes. All I can suggest is experiment with some canvas - it took me a few years to get where I am today.

Neal

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 10:44:04 am »

Quote from: Xanthor

Anyways I have tinkered a bit and wonder what people do. Do you all stretch with machine? or by hand?

Are those stupid stretcher plyers worth ANYTHING? eeeh

About the corners? How do you handle the corners? Do you cut the corners? any cuts? Strictly fold?

The latest issue of the Luminous Landscape Video Journal has a great segment on printing and stretching canvas. I watched that video to figure out how to do the corners, and I stretch by hand with stretcher pliers (I don't do nearly enough volume to warrant a stretching machine).

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Xanthor

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 12:30:39 pm »

Ohhh thanks for the info.  I will wander over and watch it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up