Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: rumor: Pentax 645D Price: $6500 USD  (Read 148339 times)

aaron

• http://
rumor: Pentax 645D Price: $6500 USD
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2010, 10:23:53 am »

Quote from: KLaban
If the Pentax is really delivered and is really $6500 and is really 31MP and is really anything other than a bug-eyed dog without a mother then the fun will be seeing the reaction of the other MFD players.

LOL

Yes it will be interesting, hopefully the other MFD makers will realise that a lot of photographers would actually prefer it was 31MP   but 40MP would do i guess.  

Should be fun.

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2010, 04:46:11 am »

Rob, could well be, they used to break my heart.

Unfortunately they're all over the Med. The Greek strays have the unfortunate habit of following the white lines in the middle of the road.

Keith

H Keih

That's why the Greeks have white lines - not for traffic control and/or flags at all. They never broke my heart, those dogs - I hated them. When we moved here we brought out our alsabrador bitch and I remember walking her near the Illa d'Or hotel one evening when one of those little runts sped off its mark towards us. I thought: suicide, ya bass! No, it ran right past her and took a nip at my ankle instead. Who says they can't read emotions? Anyway, I let my pooch off the leash and yelled at her to kill the bugger, but she just wagged her tail at me. Infamy, infamy, they all have it in for me.

Rob C

Ed Jack

« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2010, 11:59:14 am »

Quote from: Rob C
H Keih

That's why the Greeks have white lines - not for traffic control and/or flags at all. They never broke my heart, those dogs - I hated them. When we moved here we brought out our alsabrador bitch and I remember walking her near the Illa d'Or hotel one evening when one of those little runts sped off its mark towards us. I thought: suicide, ya bass! No, it ran right past her and took a nip at my ankle instead. Who says they can't read emotions? Anyway, I let my pooch off the leash and yelled at her to kill the bugger, but she just wagged her tail at me. Infamy, infamy, they all have it in for me.

Rob C

As a 4th year vet student I can not condone your attitutes to animals, only your dogs response   !

As for the Kenneth Williams' quote... nice, but some how I don't think much of the luminous landscape audience will apreichiate that level of comic genius!

Rob C

« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2010, 05:22:59 pm »

Quote from: Ed Jack
As a 4th year vet student I can not condone your attitutes to animals, only your dogs response   !

As for the Kenneth Williams' quote... nice, but some how I don't think much of the luminous landscape audience will apreichiate that level of comic genius!

Ed, I appreciate you are still just a student and must by definition have stars in your eyes; but you have misjudged me: I only dislike animals that bite me though I do mistrust most of them, the human ones included; that's doing nothing more than returning the natural compliment in nature, observing the code to survival.

I have fed a pack of cats numbered in the mid-twenties for years, knew every single one by a given name and wept tears as their kittens died of 'flu or went blind from some unknown disease that turned their eyes into white grapes. I have rescued every dog I have had straight from the dog pound. I hope your post was in jest and not serious.

But thanks for the comic genius bit - I was vain enough to take that at face value (and apply it to myself too) without suspecting the worst!

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2010, 05:55:28 pm »

I've been travelling the Mediterranean for years and have seen sights so horrific they'll haunt me for ever.

While out walking recently I met a very well known politician - think eggs - and her two dogs. It transpired that she'd rescued one of the dogs from a Greek rubbish tip and had brought him back to the UK.

She gets my vote.

Or a hot political curry rather than eggs, Keith?

I wonder if she had to leave him in quarantine for six months... probably did.

When we brought our pooch out to Spain we had to wait until she was two years old before she could get her rabies shot and be permitted to travel out of Britain. She did the trip in a huge box with RSPCA spec that was, if I remember correctly, about twice the width, half a length longer and higher than the dog; she was big. Whatever it was it cost a bomb to have made and she travelled in the heated forward hold of an aircraft, accompanied by our daughter (not in the hold) who then had to see her through Mallorca customs when they arrived. My wife was at the waiting end and the first she saw of the dog was the crate on the conveyor belt. When it stopped, the crate was taken down off it and opened with our daghter supposedly taking charge of it and the paperwork. Of course, it saw my wife standing at the other side of the gap between the international and national areas and shot across the tiles, skidding all concerned in her excitement. (That was how I used to feel too in airports at one stage in life.) Anway, when the two parties met, the customs lads began to examine the paperwork - all correct - but the dog had other ideas and started to pee with joy. At the sight of that, the customs shooed all concerned the hell out of the concourse and the box got left behind - God knows what we would have done with it anyway - we only had a tiny car at that tme. But that arrival sure was something I would have loved to have seen. Unfortunately, I was back in Scotland doing some work.

The poor dog got cancer in one row of teats, had them removed, then it hit the other side. They were removed too and then it got her lungs and we couldn't face losing another after she died; the damn cats didn't give a shit - they took no notice of her even when she was fit and very active. That's cats; they live in a killer world of their own. Oddly, they can still make you weep when they die.

Take care

Rob C

aaron

« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »

You guys with your dog stories would surely find more suitable companions over on dpreview. I thought this was a MFD forum  

Rob C

« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2010, 05:06:40 am »

Quote from: aaron
You guys with your dog stories would surely find more suitable companions over on dpreview. I thought this was a MFD forum  

As I don't own an MF and have no intentions in that direction, I think I have avoided direct comment on the breed; however, as it offends you, I shall retreat from further sound bites, my tail tucked firmly (dem wus the days) between my legs.

Aaron, I just love your captivating sense of humour.

Rob C

Wim van Velzen

• http://www.fotografiewimvanvelzen.nl
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2010, 11:54:19 am »

Apologies.

OK, let's get back to obsessing about cameras.

Exactly. Where do you walk your cameras when you are on holiday? And do you take them with you in restaurants and museums?

I don't have a signature.

aaron

« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2010, 05:13:23 pm »

Quote from: Rob C
Aaron, I just love your captivating sense of humour.

Rob C

Bite Me.

Rob C

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2010, 05:07:11 am »

Quote from: aaron
Bite Me.

Only if you promise you have really really had your rabies shots - I'd hate to catch that!

Rob C

Nemo

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2010, 02:55:22 pm »

Any news?

BJNY

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2010, 04:11:01 pm »

Announcement said to be at CP+ Camera and Imaging Show (March 11th thru 14th) according to:
http://photorumors.com/2010/02/15/pentax-6...-itself-slowly/
Guillermo

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2010, 06:37:56 pm »

Quote from: BJNY
Announcement said to be at CP+ Camera and Imaging Show (March 11th thru 14th) according to:

I hope to be able to pay the show a visit on March 13th.

This is going to be a MF game changing camera. Knowing that many considered the A900 and D3x to have the same capability based on the fact that they share common specs, I would expect the [rumored 40 megapixel] 645D to be assessed by the market as being equivalent to the HD4-40 and 40 megapixels phasebacks... costing 2 or 3 times more.

The question remains whether this camera will be suitable for real outdoor work, I don't expect to get an answer to that question on March 13th.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 06:44:23 pm by BernardLanguillier »

Jason Denning

• http://www.jasondenning.co.uk
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2010, 08:00:26 pm »

That's very interesting, because I use a 22mp back on a manual mamiya 645 pro and i don't think the sensor outperforms the lenses!

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
Hi,

I have a Pentax 67 with 45, 9072.8, 165/2.8 and 300/4 lenses which I obviously only used with film. My experience is that very fine (stunning!) 70x100 cm enlargements are very well possible with scanned images using Velvia and Provia. On the other hand I can see a lot of problems in the scanned images in actual pixels view. Chromatic aberration is pretty bad, which is quite obvious.

One thing I also noticed that images a friend shot with his Hasselblad (same subject, same condition, same time) were better than mine. This may depend on my friend having better technique or the Hasselblad having better lenses.

Now, the Pentax 645 may have better lenses than the Pentax 67, but I wouldn't hold my breath that they are good enough for digital. Just as a reminder:

Michael Reichmann found that his Canon 1Ds? essentially outperformed his Contax 645, mostly because of limitations with his Zeiss lenses. Hasselblad uses a new lens line for their cameras, calculated at Hasselblad and built at Fujinon. At least in the MTF data published by Hasselblad the new HC (Fujinon) lenses are clearly better (MTF-wise) as the old Zeiss designs. Any one can check, MTF data can be downloaded from Hasselblads website.

Michael returned to medium format, but started out with new Rodenstock Digitar lenses, specially designed for use with MFDBs.

A quoute from the Reichmann article: "But after more than a year of shooting both with a 16MP Canon 1Ds MKII and a 22 MP P25 back on the Contax, I came to a couple of realizations. The Canon and Zeiss lenses on their respective cameras were not the equal of their sensors. In other words, the sensors were outperforming the lenses. Even using the best primes on the Canon proved to me that the 1Ds MKII was not being pushed to its limit, and using lesser lenses often disappointed."

The whole article is here: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...ital-view.shtml

Best regards
Erik

Nemo

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2010, 09:11:25 am »

Quote from: BJNY

Thanks!

fredjeang

« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2010, 06:33:22 am »

It seems that the Ebay market has not reacted yet to that. Lens prices are quiet, but I doubt it will stay like that for a long time.
It is a good time for purchasing great optics at good prices because after the 13th...

aaron

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2010, 08:34:27 am »

Quote from: fredjeang
It seems that the Ebay market has not reacted yet to that. Lens prices are quiet, but I doubt it will stay like that for a long time.
It is a good time for purchasing great optics at good prices because after the 13th...

I guess the fear (or hope  ) is that Pentax will release some new glass with the 645d, so it may be worth it to wait and see. They had a new 55mm and a new "super-wide" listed on their road map for the 645D over a year ago if memory serves me correctly.

BJNY

« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2010, 05:13:49 pm »

BJL always has the good info:
Quote from: BJL
One comment: it has often been suggested, and again in that blog, that developing a multi-point AF module for 645 format would be prohibitively expensive ... but the very first MF camera with AF, the Pentax 645N, had three point AF, and the extra two should already help in a number of off-center subject situations. Maybe Pentax should sell that AF module to other 645 makers, at a suitably profitable "Hassleblad/Phase One" price point.

This is not the latest photo of the 645D rear, but check out the slider switch circled in red:
[attachment=20676:Pentax_6...009_Back.jpg]
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 05:14:44 pm by BJNY »
Guillermo

BJNY

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 05:29:07 pm »

from manual of Pentax 645n:
[attachment=20677:from645nManual.jpg]

perhaps nothing to get excited about?
Guillermo

aaron

« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 06:45:39 pm »

It has dual SDHC slots apparently.

Dual CF would be nice but dual sd is better than single cf I guess.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23   Go Up