Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kodachrome emulation  (Read 19795 times)

Peter_DL

Kodachrome emulation
« on: January 11, 2010, 05:05:52 pm »

Kodachrome emulation.
Fun with the DNG Profile Editor:
http://www.defocus.net/2009/03/fun-with-th...ile-editor.html

Interesting article and approach to emulate film looks by means of tailored DNG profiles.

Although I’d feel more comfortable using a licensed copy of Alien Skin’s Exposure for described procedure rather than a demo version.

Peter

--

Tim Lookingbill

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 01:01:26 am »

Here's a comparison to the real thing:

Kodachrome Project:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23585735@N06/...57612226326832/

Looks like he gets pretty close.

AFairley

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 05:49:48 pm »

But will it give me pink skies?

Peter_DL

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:40 pm »

Quote from: AFairley
But will it give me pink skies?
It depends
[attachment=19479:yin_yang_cannabis.jpg]

Peter_DL

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:18:24 pm »

Quote from: tlooknbill
Here's a comparison to the real thing:

Kodachrome Project:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23585735@N06/...57612226326832/

Looks like he gets pretty close.
In the meantime I have tried a couple of film emulations according to described procedure.
While some results are nice, I recognize that the approach also has its limitations.

Starting with Alien Skin’s "Exposure", the plug-in just seems to tweak the Red, Green and Blue saturation over abroad color range (as far as its color effects are concerned). It’s like stretching the primaries of a matrix profile.  For example, numbers of R/G/B= +9/-2/+12 are given for Provia film. While this emphasis of Blue saturation is basically in line with my observation, I’m perfectly sure that it requires more color-selective tweaks in order to achieve the objective.
Further, the Chart Wizard of DNG Profile Editor which is used later on in described approach builds a LUT of hue/sat.-selective tweaks, but without calibrating the matrix primaries first. While this should probably be always done first in order to reduce the work for the LUT, it would make particular sense in this context here due to the nature of above saturation tweaks. But even if the primaries are manually adjusted before running the Chart Wizard and even if we had a better target file e.g. from scanned film, the resulting profiles are not really meant and were not designed to be really 3D.

So for the time being, Camera Raw Presets can be an interesting option.
Saw your earlier post on this subject.

Best regards, Peter

__

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:31:05 pm »

That's a fascinating use for profiles - I've thought about their utility in getting a certain look, rather than just getting colors "right." Pretty impressive results as well!

tokengirl

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 10:57:16 am »

I downloaded the recipes for Kodachrome 25 & 64 from the links in the article.  They are VERY nice, far better than any LR or ACR preset I've found, and also MUCH better than the K64 presets in Nik's Color Efex Pro.  The reds are just yummy.

Tim Lookingbill

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 10:53:55 pm »

Peter, the fact that you found that old thread of mine gives me comfort that I reached someone enough to remember it.

Thanks.

Rereading some of the points made in that thread with a fresh eye, I got the impression almost everyone interpreted this look in different ways according to their own personal tastes, but I do know what tokengirl meant by "yummy reds" and Kodachrome delivers in that department.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 10:54:34 pm by tlooknbill »

Peter_DL

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:51 pm »

Quote from: tlooknbill
Rereading some of the points made in that thread with a fresh eye, I got the impression almost everyone interpreted this look in different ways according to their own personal tastes, but I do know what tokengirl meant by "yummy reds" and Kodachrome delivers in that department.
Tim, - for my purposes I tend to conclude that such "yummy red" is an easy success.  I’d claim that it also can be achieved by a.) calibrating Camera Raw by using a customized DNG Profile from the Chart Wizard in order to have a somewhat hue/sat.-colorimetric reproduction for a start, plus b.) pushing Red saturation in the Camera Calibration tab, and c.) by boosting contrast with an S-Curve.
I’d further claim that it’s more complex with Green and Blue hues to meet let’s say Provia film.  It will have to involve selective tweaks of the hue-angle and luminosity per color (imo). Blue sky needs to get more saturated but also requires a shift towards magenta. Yellow-green i.e. plant green needs to get reduced in luminosity, aside from the global tone curve. If you have a recipe / preset for Provia or Velvia film, I’d be all ears!

A kind of: When good hues go bad,
or preferably the other way round.

Peter

--

Tim Lookingbill

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 10:38:04 pm »

Sorry, Peter.

Don't have any presets for Provia and Velvia because I don't know exactly what they look like.

Besides that once I found this site:

http://gettotallyrad.com/recipes/

I pretty much gave up trying because they seem to do this kind of stylized color treatment in their sleep.

Jeremy Payne

Kodachrome emulation
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 01:28:14 pm »

I created profiles for my D700 ... they are really nice!  I'm glad to have them in the arsenal.

Here's a couple images that really feel "kodachromy" to me:

[attachment=19835:DSC_7058.jpg]

[attachment=19836:DSC_7220.jpg]

Pages: [1]   Go Up