Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about importing files.  (Read 8308 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Question about importing files.
« on: January 11, 2010, 12:45:50 pm »

I am trying to understand the Importing process in Capture One 5 Pro.  When I import a set of images that are already present on my hard drive, does C1 make duplicates of the RAW files?  And how does importing compare to simply setting an existing folder as the Capture or Favorites folder within a Session?  Is there a reason to follow one pathway vs the other?

Thanks,
Rob

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:43:25 pm »

Quote from: robgo2
I am trying to understand the Importing process in Capture One 5 Pro.  When I import a set of images that are already present on my hard drive, does C1 make duplicates of the RAW files?  And how does importing compare to simply setting an existing folder as the Capture or Favorites folder within a Session?  Is there a reason to follow one pathway vs the other?

Thanks,
Rob

Import is really designed to transfer images from a card or portable storage disk to your main image disk.  If your images are already on your system, you can simply create a new session inside the folder of images you would otherwise import.  As you import, you'll see you have an option to erase the files from the drive you transferred from -- not recommending this, just pointing it out -- but yes, if you leave that off, you would create a duplicate set of raw images inside the new import folder.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:43:45 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

robgo2

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 11:36:37 am »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
Import is really designed to transfer images from a card or portable storage disk to your main image disk.  If your images are already on your system, you can simply create a new session inside the folder of images you would otherwise import.  As you import, you'll see you have an option to erase the files from the drive you transferred from -- not recommending this, just pointing it out -- but yes, if you leave that off, you would create a duplicate set of raw images inside the new import folder.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Another question.  In a Session, do you place the images in the Capture folder or a Favorites folder?

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:59:30 am »

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Another question.  In a Session, do you place the images in the Capture folder or a Favorites folder?

Depends on the session you create, tethered or untethered. The difference being the tethered session adds a "capture" folder to the standard trio of "move-to," "output" and "trash."  So if you are tethered and create a new session, you want the capture folder to shoot to so it gets all the dedicated session capture adjustments applied as they go into that folder.  If you are importing from a card, you would first create an "untethered" session then point to the new main session folder, then do the import and all of your images will end up in the main session folder.  

Example  (and there are multiple ways to use the default session folders C1 creates, but this is one example of a possible workflow):  Say I shoot a new model where I might have her first set of images done in the studio then another set done outdoors on location.  I would first create a tethered session for the studio shoot, and shoot into the capture folder with all my set-specific adjustments applied to the files as they go into the capture folder.  Now we do the location shoot outdoors, and I'd be shooting to my card.  When I return to the studio, I simply import the card into the main session folder.  This way I have all of the shots for this particular model in a single session folder, with the tethered images in the separate capture sub-folder.  Now I'll edit each set for my keepers, rating the images as I go. Any that are total crap get moved to the session trash folder. Note this does not permanently delete them, just gets them off of the browser and into this session trash folder -- from there you can keep or delete as desired, but I generally keep.  Next I'll usually move the 4 and 5 star images from each area into the "move-to" folder as a simple storage place for the best final keepers.  Now I have my 1 - 3 star images left in their respective folders should I need to find more of a specific type.  Finally I edit that total group in the move-to as my best keepers, where only those images are on the browser, any I process out will by default go into the "output" folder.  

Hope that helps,
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:21:58 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

robgo2

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 11:21:30 pm »

Depends on the session you create, tethered or untethered. The difference being the tethered session adds a "capture" folder to the standard trio of "move-to," "output" and "trash."  So if you are tethered and create a new session, you want the capture folder to shoot to so it gets all the dedicated session capture adjustments applied as they go into that folder.  If you are importing from a card, you would first create an "untethered" session then point to the new main session folder, then do the import and all of your images will end up in the main session folder.  

Example  (and there are multiple ways to use the default session folders C1 creates, but this is one example of a possible workflow):  Say I shoot a new model where I might have her first set of images done in the studio then another set done outdoors on location.  I would first create a tethered session for the studio shoot, and shoot into the capture folder with all my set-specific adjustments applied to the files as they go into the capture folder.  Now we do the location shoot outdoors, and I'd be shooting to my card.  When I return to the studio, I simply import the card into the main session folder.  This way I have all of the shots for this particular model in a single session folder, with the tethered images in the separate capture sub-folder.  Now I'll edit each set for my keepers, rating the images as I go. Any that are total crap get moved to the session trash folder. Note this does not permanently delete them, just gets them off of the browser and into this session trash folder -- from there you can keep or delete as desired, but I generally keep.  Next I'll usually move the 4 and 5 star images from each area into the "move-to" folder as a simple storage place for the best final keepers.  Now I have my 1 - 3 star images left in their respective folders should I need to find more of a specific type.  Finally I edit that total group in the move-to as my best keepers, where only those images are on the browser, any I process out will by default go into the "output" folder.  

Hope that helps,

What about the situation where I am moving images into a Session from a folder already on my hard drive?  In the File menu, do I set it as Capture or Favorites folder?  I don't see an option to move it to the Main folder.

Thanks,
Rob

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 11:00:10 am »

What about the situation where I am moving images into a Session from a folder already on my hard drive?  In the File menu, do I set it as Capture or Favorites folder?  I don't see an option to move it to the Main folder.

Thanks,
Rob

I may not be understanding your question...

If all you want is a new session with those images, why move it at all?  You can simply create a new session within it as-is by simply creating a new session in the same parent location as the image folder and using the folder name as the session name. By doing so, all of those images will automatically be part of that new session and the image folder will now contain all the normal C1 session subfolders.

In case are you talking about the "MOVE" command or the "IMPORT" command, you could use either but they are different. Move is usually used for moving a selection of images into a different, and usually existing session folder, and physically removes them from host location.  Import OTOH is used to import files, usually from a card, but could be from another folder, and then directly into an existing session -- and you have the option to auto-delete or leave those files at the host location.  In either case, you would most likely have first created a working session to point the move or import to. Neither command creates any session folders or subfolders. With import however, you do have the option of placing that import set into its own subfolder, while move can only move to an existing folder.  A capture folder is specifically designed for tethered capture, applying adjustments as files are shot into it.  A favorite is simply a tag on that file so it shows up in your favorites list.  I rarely use favorites, preferring to simply navigate directly to the session folder of images rather than searching for it's name in the favorites list.

It sounds like you would benefit greatly from a C1 workshop or one of Capture Integration's C1 "webinars"...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 11:13:19 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack

Nill Toulme

• http://www.toulmephoto.com
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 03:06:09 pm »

... and using the folder name as the session name.
Jack is there a way to do that more or less automatically?  The folder naming, that is?

Nill

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:17:51 pm »

Quote from: Nill Toulme
Jack is there a way to do that more or less automatically?  The folder naming, that is?

Nill

Hi Nill,

Again, not sure I'm understanding what you mean.  If you want to create a new session, you have to give it a name.  If you already have a session created and want to import to it, just point to it and import, either directly to the session, or using one of the subfolder creation options.  Subfolders inside an existing session can be automatically created for every new import based on date/time.
Jack

robgo2

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 09:39:37 pm »

I may not be understanding your question...

If all you want is a new session with those images, why move it at all?  You can simply create a new session within it as-is by simply creating a new session in the same parent location as the image folder and using the folder name as the session name. By doing so, all of those images will automatically be part of that new session and the image folder will now contain all the normal C1 session subfolders.

It sounds like you would benefit greatly from a C1 workshop or one of Capture Integration's C1 "webinars"...

OK, I have done that, but the image files are not located in the Session area, but rather in the Library folder.  

You are right about me needing some training in C1.  Thanks for all your help.

Rob

Nill Toulme

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 10:43:32 pm »

Again, not sure I'm understanding what you mean.  If you want to create a new session, you have to give it a name.  If you already have a session created and want to import to it, just point to it and import, either directly to the session, or using one of the subfolder creation options.  Subfolders inside an existing session can be automatically created for every new import based on date/time.
Just lazy and wanting to shortcut the folder-naming step (which wasn't necessary with 3.7.x's develop-to-associated-folder checkbox).  Do session names have to be unique, or can I just name each one "Session?"

Nill

craigwashburn

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 11:42:43 pm »

Quote from: Nill Toulme
Just lazy and wanting to shortcut the folder-naming step (which wasn't necessary with 3.7.x's develop-to-associated-folder checkbox).  Do session names have to be unique, or can I just name each one "Session?"

Nill

They don't have to be unique, but for organizational purposes it probably is wise to give them a somewhat descriptive name.

I am not sure about your organization but, I always create a session first, and then move images into its automatically generated Capture folder, if coming off a card, or elsewhere on the hard drive.  Then do edits, moving first drafts into move-to, selects into a selects folder that I create, and finally output heroes.

Nill Toulme

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 11:41:41 am »

Thanks Craig.  My workflow is basically this:  

Cards get downloaded (via Breeze Downloader Pro) to a new folder for the shoot automatically created in \My Pictures\Pending and named by date and subject, e.g., \My Pictures\Pending\091011 GBHSvb for an Oct 11 varsity boys soccer match at Great Big High School.  I cull the discards (using fullscreen sharpened views via BreezeBrowser Pro), then process the keepers, traditionally (using C1 3.7.x) to a \Develops folder inside the source folder.  Then I upload the gallery (also generated with BB PRo) to my website and move the source folder with its contents to a subject-matter archive folder like \Soccer 2009, renaming it in the process to something a little more descriptive like \091011 GBHSvb Little Bitty DONE (where Little Bitty HS is the opponent).  That way I know it's done, and I know where to find it, even five years from now.  (BTW, the shots themselves get auto-renamed on download to, e.g., 091011-GBHSvb-001.cr2, and they also get automatically backed up to an external drive.  The \Pending and subject matter folders also get auto-backed to another external drive.)

After a while, when the print orders are done, I go back and delete the \Develops folders to save space, saving only the .cr2's longterm.

So, under a similar regime with 5.x, if I just name each session Session, and it lives within its respective source folder, won't I be OK?  Mind you, I'm still more than a little unclear about the use and usefulness of sessions in the first place, as I've never used them at all with 3.7.x.

I'm on Windows, if it matters.

Thanks,

Nill
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:54:06 am by Nill Toulme »

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 09:15:58 pm »

Nil:

A session is just an easy way to keep an entire group of captures integrated with the ratings, adjustments, culls and output files all residing inside one single session folder.  It also gives you an easy way to launch C1 in a given session by just double-clicking on the session .cos file inside the folder of images.  Beyond that advantage, your described method would work fine.  I would suggest you keep your existing workflow but consider creating your session name as your intended final name -- that way when you move it, you can simply copy the descriptive session name and add the "DONE" extension to the folder.  The only advantage here is you can search your C1 favorites, and locate a session by it's unique name. By contrast, using your method, you will have multiple entries in your session favorites list and all will read "session"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 09:19:32 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack

tho_mas

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 08:11:08 am »

Nill... I think you can keep your strategy pretty much with C1 V5.
Look at the options in the tool to create a new session and the otions in the import tool.
You can specify the target volume and folder, of course.
You can also create a subfolder "using name" (or "using date") and you can name it "pending" if you want to.
You can also backup automatically on import.

What might be a problem is to rename the source folders later.
I'd say it's much better to create an additional folder... respectively simply name the "move to" folder "done".

So this my advice for your workflow:
Create a new session.
Name the move to folder "Done":
[attachment=19509:01newsession.jpg]

In the library the "move to" folder still is called "move to":
[attachment=19510:02moveto.jpg]

But in the Finder the respective folder is named "Done":
[attachment=19511:03sessionfolder.jpg]

Next go to the import tool.
Click on the small triangle on the right side of the tab "locations", select "enable backup".
"From": the location you want to import from (a CF card will open by default).
"To": If you select "session folder" the captures will be imported in the session folder; which is, in my example, the folder "Nill".
"Create subfolder using name: Type in "Pending". In this case the captures will not be imported in the folder "Nill" but in the subfolder within the folder "Nill" which is called "Pending".
[attachment=19512:import.jpg]

When you've finished your work you can move the finished files to the folder "Done" using the "move to" tool in C1.
Simply select all all the finished/processd files (in the browser of C1) and press cmd+J (or go to "file"->"move to folder" | or simply drag them with the mouse on the "move to" folder icon in the library of C1).
Now the finished captures will be moved to the folder "Done" that you have set as "move to" folder in the beginnig.

Should work fine for your purposes.

Nill Toulme

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 10:27:37 am »

OK, thanks very much to you both.

Cheers,

Nill
Pages: [1]   Go Up