Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Michael: 1DMKII vs 1DsMKII  (Read 2716 times)

Michael: 1DMKII vs 1DsMKII
« on: December 27, 2004, 06:50:34 am »

At higer ISOs the MKII is better, and of course the files are larger. Otherwise the answer is likely "no".

The MKII is a superior camera in almost every way to the original, but image quality isn't it's main advantage.

Michael

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 09:09:20 am »

Sorry about that. Another example of Canon's brilliant naming conventions aiding clear communication.

To address this question, the answer is yes. 16MP vs 8MP is clearly visible, even in a 13X19" print. Also, the 1Ds MKII has superior colour rendition, though this can be helped on the 1D MKII through the use of a custom profile.

Michael

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 03:36:13 pm »

The metering mode for all 1-series bodies is on the top LCD only. This information is not displayed in the viewfinder on any Canon body AFAIK. Definitely not on the 1Ds or 1D-MkII. I have my bodies set so that manual mode is locked to spot, and everything else uses evaluative.

bdf

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 12:50:17 am »

Michael,

If one does not intend to make prints larger than 13x19, does the 1DsMKII produce superior images to the 1DMKII in the studio setting?  I am asking in terms of pure image quality.

bdf

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 06:57:17 am »

Michael You misunderstood the question.  I was asking about the 1DMKII vs the 1DsMKII.

Thanks

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2005, 11:37:16 am »

One of my pet peeves of the 1DsII is it's lack of exposure and metering mode indication in the viewfinder. Why, I keep asking myself? I like to switch between spot and matrix modes on the field, as I love the multiple-reading feature of the spot meter (just wish it was smaller), but have to futz around to figure out which mode I'm in after a while (memory is not my strong suite ). I understand the 1DII does have them. Go figure ...

DJ
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2005, 06:50:18 pm »

Thanks for the clarification, Jonathan. Someone in another forum had remarked that the 1DII did, but reading your comment I downloaded the 1DII manual pdf and sure enough, as you say, it doesn't either. I don't feel as left out now . I ended up blocking out other metering modes except evaluative and spot, so there's always only two choices, which I quickly determine when I press the FEL button to take a spot reading and I'm not in spot mode.

I also made spot the manual metering method, but I rarely use manual, I normally use aperture perferred for some DOF control, and just use exposure comp to place the spot readings where I want them.

Still, I wonder why they didn't include the modes in the viewfinder - there's space enough. It's a slip up as far as I'm concerned for such an advanced and complicated shooting environment. But that's just for me of course. Different folks may not care that much. Cheers!
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &
Pages: [1]   Go Up