Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Color difference:Printing from Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom  (Read 2985 times)

jenbenn

• http://
Color difference:Printing from Photoshop CS4 and Lightroom
« on: January 03, 2010, 04:58:33 pm »

I hope somebody here can help. I am slowly going mad. When printing from Photoshop CS4, colors differ greatly from prints made out of Lightroom. My printer is a Canon ip4300. In Lightroom I have set the printer profile under Color mangement in the print module to "managed by printer". In the printer driver dialogue I have activated the printer's own colormangement. If I now print exactly the same file out of photoshop Cs4 ( Colour mangement set to manged by printer) I get prints that show very different color rendition compared to prints from Lightroom. I have checked over and over agin that all setting in the printer driver were equal when printing out of photoshop, but to no avail.
What's even wierder is that prints out of photoshop do not differ from prints out of lightroom in any consitent way. Some pictures come out looking more magenta others do have stronger contrast or show a green cast.
BTW. My screen is properly calibrated and I get consistently good prints from commercial print services.
Thanks for your help.

neile

• http://www.danecreekfolios.com
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 05:09:02 pm »

Quote from: jenbenn
I hope somebody here can help. I am slowly going mad. When printing from Photoshop CS4, colors differ greatly from prints made out of Lightroom. My printer is a Canon ip4300. In Lightroom I have set the printer profile under Color mangement in the print module to "managed by printer". In the printer driver dialogue I have activated the printer's own colormangement. If I now print exactly the same file out of photoshop Cs4 ( Colour mangement set to manged by printer) I get prints that show very different color rendition compared to prints from Lightroom. I have checked over and over agin that all setting in the printer driver were equal when printing out of photoshop, but to no avail.
What's even wierder is that prints out of photoshop do not differ from prints out of lightroom in any consitent way. Some pictures come out looking more magenta others do have stronger contrast or show a green cast.
BTW. My screen is properly calibrated and I get consistently good prints from commercial print services.
Thanks for your help.

Have you tried printing by turning off colour management in the printer driver, and turning it on in Lightroom and Photoshop? What happens then?

Neil
Neil Enns
Dane Creek Folio Covers. Limited edition Tuscan Sun and Citron covers are now in stock!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 05:15:05 pm »

Which OS, Mac or PC... and which version? Apparently, there are some issues with the latest Mac OS when it comes to color management and printing with certain printers.

jenbenn

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:26:15 am »

Quote from: Slobodan Blagojevic
Which OS, Mac or PC... and which version? Apparently, there are some issues with the latest Mac OS when it comes to color management and printing with certain printers.

My system is Windows Vista.  When I let photoshop manage color with the correct paper profile selected, the difference to Lightroom prints with  a paper profile is even greater.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 10:31:21 am »

My system is Windows Vista.  When I let photoshop manage color with the correct paper profile selected, the difference to Lightroom prints with  a paper profile is even greater.

Ideally you want BOTH Photoshop and Lightroom to use Application Color Management (not printer manages color).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jenbenn

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 02:11:17 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
Ideally you want BOTH Photoshop and Lightroom to use Application Color Management (not printer manages color).
To clarify: What   I am saying is even if  I let both photoshop and lightroom manage the colors, prints do not look the same. While lightroom prints normally (so not always) look close to what I see on screen, Photohsop prints vary wildly. Some photos come out more magenta some more green, others show a strong increase in contrast or brightness. The difference is not minor. It is sometimes so great that even my girlfirend aks why the prints look so horrible.

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 05:30:33 pm »

To clarify: What   I am saying is even if  I let both photoshop and lightroom manage the colors, prints do not look the same. While lightroom prints normally (so not always) look close to what I see on screen, Photohsop prints vary wildly. Some photos come out more magenta some more green, others show a strong increase in contrast or brightness. The difference is not minor. It is sometimes so great that even my girlfirend aks why the prints look so horrible.

I have had about the same problem running on a 15" MacBook Pro 2.66 (external monitor is a 24-inch Apple LED Cinema Display) with Snow Leopard using Photoshop CS3.  However when I print from Lightroom and or Aperture colors in most cases match the monitor. Monitor is calibrated. Mainly print to an Epson 3880 and Canon ipf5000. I let the program manage the color. It has just about got to the point I do not like to print from Photoshop CS3.
Pages: [1]   Go Up