Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can C1 find files moved to a new hard drive?  (Read 4332 times)

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Can C1 find files moved to a new hard drive?
« on: December 31, 2009, 05:22:37 pm »

My current hard drive where I place images is now nearly full.  I would like to replace it with a much larger one and migrate the files to it.  How will Capture One locate the previously edited files with all of the adjustments?

Rob

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 10:46:48 am »

Quote from: robgo2
My current hard drive where I place images is now nearly full.  I would like to replace it with a much larger one and migrate the files to it.  How will Capture One locate the previously edited files with all of the adjustments?

Rob
If you keep your folder contents intact and just move them to a new drive, C1 will maintain all your historical settings for the original sessions associated with those folders.  You may need to point to the folder you want from the browser, especially if the new drive has a different name.  Also, assuming you set up sessions, then it's probably best to launch them the first time by double-clicking the ".cos50" session file inside the folder of images you want to work on.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 10:47:42 am by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 12:52:22 pm »

Quote from: Jack Flesher
If you keep your folder contents intact and just move them to a new drive, C1 will maintain all your historical settings for the original sessions associated with those folders.  You may need to point to the folder you want from the browser, especially if the new drive has a different name.  Also, assuming you set up sessions, then it's probably best to launch them the first time by double-clicking the ".cos50" session file inside the folder of images you want to work on.

Jack,

Thanks for this advice.  I am a bit nervous when it comes to things of this nature.

Rob

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 04:12:57 pm »

IMO this is a big advantage of C1's file structure over "libraries."  I can send my tech in Florida a disk with a copy of my files and C1 session folder and he can open it, see all of my adjustments, create a new session with a different name for him using the same folder of images and make his own adjustments separate from mine and send it back to me. He can just email me his session folder settings files (they are small in size), and I can launch his session, point at my originals and see what he did differently than me.  Or, any number of us can be shooting the same subject/product/set into capture folders with our own recipes, then send those to our tech to final edit as a single group for the client. IOW, by design, all the historical adjustments reside separately from the raws and can be used or ignored as desired.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 04:16:54 pm by Jack Flesher »
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/
Pages: [1]   Go Up