Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Web Site & Galleries  (Read 1349 times)

djgarcia

• http://improbablystructuredlayers.net
My Web Site & Galleries
« on: December 09, 2009, 05:52:53 pm »

As a glutton for punishment I'm submitting my re-designed web site for your (hopefully) enjoyment and appraisal. I posted this in the Landscape Photography forum but Chris_T brought my attention to this forum section I had missed. I had even forgotten I had posted an earlier version (2007) in a previous thread - senility is a terrible disease, especially if you're a hermit.

As well as obviously the quality of the image galleries, I'm interested in how the user experience comes across, what works for some people but not for others, what's too much or not enough.

The web site is a personal project about my main interests originally intended mainly for family, friends and associates, but the main thrust is to share my photos. It's goal is not so much to be accessible to everybody but to provide a better than average or at least different user experience in the evolving technology, hopefully for at least 60% of potential users.

I'm also trying to make accessing almost 2000 images a user friendly and enjoyable experience. I am targeting quality so the images are 1200 pixels and currently can get large (300-600KB) at times depending on topic, and often have a lot of detail.

Some details you may or not want to check:

- The image resizes based on available space.
- You can select from various image frame colors.
- The thumbnail space is configurable.
- Hovering over the gallery link buttons shows a random thumbnail preview of selections from that gallery.
- The slide show is configurable to show any number of gallery / sections you select.
- A pop-up window can be configured in size and look, good for dual monitors or the slide show - clicking on its left or right side shows the next ot previous image in a gallery section.

Some additional caveats:

- A modem connection will very likely be too slow.

- You need to have Javascript enabled, as the whole image section is script driven. I've actually used this as my Javascript training so I may have gone a bit too elaborate and over the top in places- I'm sure you'll let me know . It's what happens when you get laid off and have too much time on your hands.

You can get to the image galleries by clicking the front picture or the Beauty link on the left. I'll probably do an image-gallery-only version at some point, also to sell prints (try anyway).

http://islbeauty.net

Sorry about the long-winded post - have a great Holiday Season,

DJ
Over-Equipped Snapshooter - EOS 1dsII &
Pages: [1]   Go Up