Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Electroinc PDF books  (Read 5235 times)

trentf

Electroinc PDF books
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:37:38 am »

First off let me say hi....  I am a long time reader and just signed up....  thanks for having me.

I have been thinking long and hard about electronic book publishing of my work....  Lens work publishing has a instructional video on how to build the PDF book.  My question is pretty open ended.  I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so how they received...  do people really want to look at a book online?  Every time I do a gallery show people ask if I have a book.  I just dont know if the electronic avenue is the way to go....  Just looking for thoughts on the whole thing.  I am an advertising/commercial photographer and have been so for 15 years.  I know that art directors and creatives will look at on line images all day.  That is part of their job.  Do people that love art and love books and love images do the same?  I am kinda rambling here but I hope I my question comes across.

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Electroinc PDF books
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:16:04 am »

Quote from: trentf
First off let me say hi....  I am a long time reader and just signed up....  thanks for having me.

I have been thinking long and hard about electronic book publishing of my work....  Lens work publishing has a instructional video on how to build the PDF book.  My question is pretty open ended.  I was wondering if anyone has done this and if so how they received...  do people really want to look at a book online?  Every time I do a gallery show people ask if I have a book.  I just dont know if the electronic avenue is the way to go....  Just looking for thoughts on the whole thing.  I am an advertising/commercial photographer and have been so for 15 years.  I know that art directors and creatives will look at on line images all day.  That is part of their job.  Do people that love art and love books and love images do the same?  I am kinda rambling here but I hope I my question comes across.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking whether publishing your photos in an e-book instead of a physical book makes sense. I'd say the answer is no. I don't think people would pay for an e-book of photos - we are all so used to seeing images on the screen for free, why pay? Also, a high-quality book provides better reproduction and the sensual pleasure of fine paper and binding. There are firms that let you self-publish books - maybe that's the way to go? Good luck.

trentf

Electroinc PDF books
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 10:59:11 am »

Quote from: PeterAit
If I understand you correctly, you are asking whether publishing your photos in an e-book instead of a physical book makes sense. I'd say the answer is no. I don't think people would pay for an e-book of photos - we are all so used to seeing images on the screen for free, why pay? Also, a high-quality book provides better reproduction and the sensual pleasure of fine paper and binding. There are firms that let you self-publish books - maybe that's the way to go? Good luck.

That is what I am asking...I have self published before the costs can be high....  You confirmed what I already was thinking.... thanks

EduPerez

• Edu Pérez
Electroinc PDF books
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 03:41:02 am »

I am with Peter: how is an electronic book better than a web page for the viewer / buyer?

trentf

Electroinc PDF books
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 10:42:52 am »

I dont think it is better at all.....  I have spent time on lens work publishing and there is a "push"  for electronic publishing.....  I am just trying to figure out if I am missing something....
Pages: [1]   Go Up