Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird appearence profiling my Dell2709  (Read 2750 times)

Tony359

Weird appearence profiling my Dell2709
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:30:01 am »

Hello guys

My first time here. My name is Antonio, I'm Italian but I'm writing from the UK.
I've recently bought a refurbished Dell 2709w and I connected it to my Asus Notebook throught VGA (no DVI output unfortunately).

I have a I1 LT and I calibrated the monitor using Adobe RGB preset on the monitor itself, since normal presets are really too saturated (and the sRGB is really undersaturated!).

The result is weird.

Have a look at my pictures. Lightroom shows now pictures with strange - oversaturated -  reds or completely yellowish or greenish. Have a look at the lips of the subjects.

If I view a picture using LR, I don't have the same result than Windows picture viewer (See attachment).

[attachment=18455:Red_Dell.jpg]

Even though I view a picture on my Hard Disk and the same picture uploaded to Flicker - same browser - I have different results.

[attachment=18453:Dell_Rosso_Firefox.jpg]

What's is going on?

Thanks for your help

Antonio

MBehrens

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:56:40 pm »

Antonio,

You don't want to select any presets for your monitor before calibrating. In fact resetting it to factory defaults is suggested.

When exporting for the web you will want to export to the sRGB colorspace, you can export to the other colorspaces but the folks viewing will need to do so with a color managed application. Window pic viewer is not color managed don't even try to match to it, Fire fox can be - but must be enabled.

If you are just getting started with color management it would be a good idea to study up a bit to learn the concepts. If you don't go into it with a plan it can cause more harm than good.

Here some links to help:
Firefox CM https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/6891

Color Management
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/monitor_calibration.htm
http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/ColorWiki_Home
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

Good Luck.

Tony359

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 06:53:14 am »

Quote from: MBehrens
If you are just getting started with color management it would be a good idea to study up a bit to learn the concepts. If you don't go into it with a plan it can cause more harm than good.

Thank you.

Yes, I'm a beginnner with just a limited knowledge, I'll brush my skills up using the links provided, thanks.

I used Match 3 of XRite to calibrate the monitor and as far as I know it removes the profile as soon as I start calibration, but you may be right. Good to know that picture viewer is not using the color profile. What it sounded silly was that Lightroom was completely messed up with colours now...

Do I have to set up something in LR to have it use the default profile?

Thanks for your help and for the links. I'll report back if I cannot solve this matter on my own.

Have a good day
Antonio

Tony359

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 07:24:54 pm »

Well, while I'm brushing up my knowledge I did a sad discovery.

When using sRGB and Adobe RGB profiles on my Dell colours gradient of non primary colours are someway "clipped".

have a look at the picture. Any other profile - with full gamut colurs - is ok.

I transferred the test picture on my PS3 that is connected through HDMI and I have the same issue.
I think it's the monitor that is trying - badly - to reduce the gamut. I don't think I can do anything with this. I'll try a new calibration using the monitor with its full gamut.

But I still have to read all the paper. In the meantime I've activated the profiling on my Firefox, thanks!

Thanks
Antonio
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 07:29:56 pm by Tony359 »

Paul Sumi

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 07:57:20 pm »

Wondering if your monitor is "double-profiled."

Since you are using PhotoShop, did you enable Adobe Gamma Loader?  Assuming you are using Windows, it will be in your startup folder.

To find out, run MSCONFIG, click on Startup tab.  Uncheck Adobe Gamma Loader and reboot.  Re-calibrate using Match 3.

The reason you want to disable Adobe Gamma Loader is because Match 3 also loads its own monitor profile, which is the one you want.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Tony359

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 08:39:58 pm »

Hello Paul

No, I don't have gamma loader. I just have AdobeARM.exe that I still have to figure out what it is but it shouldn't be a profile loader.

I found that using a "normal" preset with my Dell the gradients are fine. Then I found that while "Custom RGB" have RGB controls that change brightness of each colours, "Custom RGBCMY" has individual controls that change saturation of colours. So I created my own profile reducing red and green, that are really too high on the Dell.

Then I recalibrated but it seems that the moment I reduce some saturation, gradients are no more smooth. But only with LR, that uses profile. If I see it through picture viewer it's almost perfect, but the sixth and seventh bars from the left, green and cyan.

Could someone download the picture (40MB) and tells me if they should be perfecly smooth?

http://www.jirvana.com/printer_tests/Print...nImage_V002.zip

many thanks for your help

Antonio
Pages: [1]   Go Up