Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliable stocking supplier for Hahnemuhle Daguerre rolls?  (Read 3278 times)

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
Reliable stocking supplier for Hahnemuhle Daguerre rolls?
« on: December 03, 2009, 07:40:02 pm »

Has anybody found a reliable, in-depth, street-price stocking distributor for Hahnemuhle Daguerre 24" and 36" rolls?  So far my two favorite suppliers have been drop-shipping from Hahnemuhle in Chicago, which takes about two weeks.  That's OK most of the time, but sometimes ya just need another roll or two quick.  Calumet seems to stock, but for $90 over street price.  Lotsa places can get it for me...via who-knows-when drop-ship.

Would appreciate any input.  Have given up on Brand F after some outrageous QC problems.  After all these years they still can't manage to wind an otherwise nice product neatly on a roll that won't swipe my nozzles or create skewing errors.  Doesn't anybody there ever try to print on one of those marvels?

Peter Mellis

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 09:12:16 pm »

I don't use that canvas, but Atlex ( http://www.atlex.com/hahnemuhle/hahnemuhle...uerre-monet.htm ) shows it as an item that they stock. You'd have to call to find out if they drop ship it. I've been buying ink and paper from them for several years; prices (on the stuff that I buy) are good and service has been excellent.

Rocco Penny

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 09:43:48 pm »

Bill, I was at Calumet Fri. last week.
They sold me a 17"roll of monet and one of daguerre each for 100
Do you have a Calumet nearby?
I'm thinking whatever they have too much of they will let go for the street price?
I can order online and save a bit?, but I'd rather support the organism locally.
Yep, check Calumet, I get my printmaking supplies for the same $ more or less as ordering online, have to visit the store though
I like stopping for pie on the way.

Neuffy

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 06:31:39 pm »

The only solution I've figured out is to be in a permanent state of overstock. Sorry to be useless (being in Canada and all).

To totally derail: (and please do ignore this if you prefer)
How are you finding the Hahnemuhle Canvas as compared to Brand F?

bill t.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 12:02:42 am »

Quote from: Neuffy
How are you finding the Hahnemuhle Canvas as compared to Brand F?

Well I'm still suffering from traget fixation on the poor mechanical qualities of the Fredrix 24" rolls.  But in general, Daguerre is quite similar to Fredrix 777 Vivid, except with better mechanical QC and slightly more texture.

What I like about Fredrix 777 Vivid...

Very fine weave without any particular weave polarization.  Image sharpness is not seriously compromised by the weave.  Prints look fine, as good as any canvas I have ever used and in its own way as good as any matte paper, except different.  Easy to handle.  Cool rather bright white that works well with landscapes.  Surface texture is actually less than most matte papers that call themselves textured.

What I don't like about Fredrix...

They can't wind the stuff straight on the rolls!  DUH!  And that leads to rolled-under edges that bump and clog the print heads.  Also, there are a few too many "seeds" which are nasty little black thingys embedded just under the coatings that you don't notice until one lands in a pristinely smooth section of blue sky that is the focus of your image.  If you print over one, and it's in a smooth, important area, kiss your 35 x 90 print goodbye.  Trying to dig one of those out is to come to understand the dynamics of icebergs, they're mostly under the surface.  And if you try to paint them out, they skew your nice acrylic blues towards green.

What I like about Hahnemuhle Daguerre...

Excellent QC.  The sides of the rolls are neatly trimmed and perfectly aligned.  In (admittedly only) three rolls I have had no losses from seeds or other defects.  So far.

Reservations about Daguerre...

More texture than 777, but still much less than BC Lyve which is totally over the top texturewise, IMHO.  Daguerre is relatively sharp printing, maybe a teense less that 777.  The Daguerre weave texture is somewhat more pronounced across the width of the roll.  This is fortunate because when my wide panos are lighted from above the texture pretty much disappears.  The depth of the Daguerre texture is minimal, which somewhat makes up for its coarser frequency compared to 777.  Like 777 the texture is fine enough that I can almost completely cover it up with 3 thick coats of Glamour, if I am so moved to do so.

It's a little hard to get.  All my suppliers that carry it drop ship from Hahnemuhle in Chicago and there is no reliable way to find out whether there is anything actually there in stock, or if I will simply wait and wait for who knows how long.  So far the wait is pretty much two weeks from order, but with no confirmations or acknowledgments or tracking from whoever does the shipping.

FWIW...

My homebrew Fredrix 777 and Daguerre profiles are so similar that they are essentially interchangeable.  Prints on the two look almost exactly the same, even in the 9880 sky blues.  That's really good, because I recently spent months tweaking my prints for Fredrix 777.  Which is reason enough to own a profiling system.  But you can still tell which is which because of the texture differences.

Also, I mentioned in a previous post the the Hahn canned profiles for Daguerre as basically right-on.  I lied.  They're too dark, and too contrasty.  Like most canned profiles.  I was basing my assessment on two high key subjects that didn't have enough dark areas to be noticeably dragged down.  Anybody printing any kind of canvas should make their own profiles, or have them made, and that's a fact.

But...if Fredrix could get that winding thing solved, it would be my baby again, even with the seeds.  I do like those sharp, fine textured prints.  For some reason the winding issues only seem to seriously affect the 24" rolls.  Out of 18, 24" rolls I've opened since September, more than half had 10 or more miswound and rolled-under feet that I judged not safe to use.  However, all the 36" and 44" rolls seemed fine, at most a minor misalignment towards the end.  Go figure.

Craig Murphy

• http://www.murphyphotography.com
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 10:08:39 am »

Atlex want's almost $40 more for a roll of 44" Daguerre than B&H and others.
CMurph

mballent

• http://www.ballentphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 12:50:40 pm »

Quote from: bill t.
Has anybody found a reliable, in-depth, street-price stocking distributor for Hahnemuhle Daguerre 24" and 36" rolls?  So far my two favorite suppliers have been drop-shipping from Hahnemuhle in Chicago, which takes about two weeks.  That's OK most of the time, but sometimes ya just need another roll or two quick.  Calumet seems to stock, but for $90 over street price.  Lotsa places can get it for me...via who-knows-when drop-ship.

Would appreciate any input.  Have given up on Brand F after some outrageous QC problems.  After all these years they still can't manage to wind an otherwise nice product neatly on a roll that won't swipe my nozzles or create skewing errors.  Doesn't anybody there ever try to print on one of those marvels?

I have not ordered any of the Hahnemuhle but Shades of Paper carries it.  I have been using F 901WR with good success been through a few rolls already any never found any seeds and everyone loves the prints.  Have you compared that to the F that you have been using?
-Michael
[url=http://www.ballentphoto.co

bill t.

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 04:38:13 pm »

Quote from: mballent
I have not ordered any of the Hahnemuhle but Shades of Paper carries it.  I have been using F 901WR with good success been through a few rolls already any never found any seeds and everyone loves the prints.  Have you compared that to the F that you have been using?
I have a sample of 901 that I got at a trade show one or two years ago.  That 901 sample shows a lot more weave texture than the current 777 stock. Maybe that's changed, have noted continuing changes in the canvas base for all the canvases I have been watching.  My most basic quest is for a sharp printing canvas, which requires a fine weave texture.

I wonder if 777 and 901 are made by different sub-contractors?

Have been looking closely at the after-coating texture of 777 versus Daguerre. 777 is noticeably finer and sharper when seen in gallery conditions.  Doggone it!  Has anybody else here been seeing the winding problems I described?  Does my supplier just have a lot of an unfortunate manufacturing run?  Was the mailroom clerk filling in for the guy who actually knows how to wind?   Have noticed a few gripes about the winding problem on other forums from as far back as a few years.

ghaynes754

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 05:49:56 pm »

Shades of Paper, Jim Doyle.   Great supplier and spot on prices.
Pages: [1]   Go Up