Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Alpa Field Report by Mark Dubovoy  (Read 3110 times)

HerlRoosLindgreen

Alpa Field Report by Mark Dubovoy
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:48:21 pm »

I enjoyed reading the Alpa Field Report by Mark Dubovoy (November 19). I like the way he tells his story and shows his entertaining pictures. With the exception, I regret to say,  of the one showing him in, what seems, the middle of the Devils Golf Course. At first I didn't believe my eyes: Mr. Dubovoy, well-known for his deep love of nature, is seen trampling around in the delicate salt structures of Death Valley.

A sign at the edge of the parking space tells us: "Delicate salt formations are hidden among the harsh and rigid spines. Close inspection may reveal the tiny salt structures. Take care - one curious touch can cause them to crumble".

Maybe wat we see here is not real but a "montage". Or the photo is real and taken, without risking any damage, on the trodden ground near the road. Whatever the matter, in my opinion, from an educational point of view it should not have been published.

How much more attractive is the next photograph in Mr. Dubovoy's article where a beautiful and deserted Devils Golf Course is shown.

Peter Stacey

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »

Another potentially polarising issue on LuLa.

I also enjoyed the article, however I don't think the photo shows Mark either in the middle of the devils golf course, or trampling around in it.

Exactly where he is in relation to the area is not evident and I think as you rightly mention, he has a high level of care for the environment.

Photographs by their very nature, quote things out of context. As a viewer we make assumptions about what is going on, and those assumptions are often wrong. Mark's publicly known environmental awareness should lend a good deal of evidence that he wouldn't be walking deliberately around causing damage to the area.

Just my 0.02.

Regards,

Peter
[img width=80 height=11]http://peterstac

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:23:40 pm »

Hi Peter, and thanks for your reply.  Mark and the person making the photograph of him are the only people who know where he was standing exactly, so until one of them reply we'll never know.  In the meantime, I don't know that there's any purpose in 'charging' him out of order.  To 'HerlRoosLindgreen', since this is your first post, welcome to the list, and feel free to engage in any photography-related discussions we have here, or start your own!  As Peter said, there are too many topics here that end up in flame wars, and the list administrators have made their zero-tolerance policy quite clear.  Can't we all just get along?

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

michael

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:59:57 pm »

I was there, because I took the shot.

We were standing right at the edge of the parking area. Where Mark is standing was an area already covered in footprints.

No salt crystals were harmed in the making of this photograph.

Michael

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:09:56 pm »

The area within 50 feet of the parking lot is trampled to death in all directions.  That would definitely be the "par 3" part of the devil's golf course.  I can't see how walking on them would really cause much more damage; it's all worn down already, frankly.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 03:36:39 am »

Quote from: CatOne
The area within 50 feet of the parking lot is trampled to death in all directions.  That would definitely be the "par 3" part of the devil's golf course.  I can't see how walking on them would really cause much more damage; it's all worn down already, frankly.

NOW do you all appreciate the real value of all those Kodak 'Recommended Photo Sites' signs that turned so many places into jokes for the ill-informed?

Rob C
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:37:11 am by Rob C »
Pages: [1]   Go Up