Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gallery Stretcher machine  (Read 2087 times)

ghaynes754

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
Gallery Stretcher machine
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:09:59 pm »

Looking for a few tips on how to use the Gallery Stretcher from Canvas-Stretching-Machine.  As I started to play with it today I found that the 2" wrap around they suggest just doesn't seem to be enough.  I'm using a 1 /14 inch high by 1 3/8 wide Artists Best Medium stretcher bar.  Print had a 2" border.  But when I try and do the stretch there isn't enough material left for the machine to grab.  Thoughts or suggestions?
Logged

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2956
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Gallery Stretcher machine
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:55:21 am »

Quote from: ghaynes754
Looking for a few tips on how to use the Gallery Stretcher from Canvas-Stretching-Machine.  As I started to play with it today I found that the 2" wrap around they suggest just doesn't seem to be enough.  I'm using a 1 /14 inch high by 1 3/8 wide Artists Best Medium stretcher bar.  Print had a 2" border.  But when I try and do the stretch there isn't enough material left for the machine to grab.  Thoughts or suggestions?


You will find as we did that you will need the depth of the stretcher + about an 1 1/4". When printing 24" canvas about the widest(Canvas width) gallery wrap we can get is 19". So you lose 5" total or 2 1/2" per side. The more you try to cut off that amount the harder it gets,it really is a minimum. If I would have known this info when I purchased my 7900 I would have bought the 9900 the very first day. 19' X 29" gallery wraps are not very big at all! After 11 months of dealing with such small gallery wraps I ordered and received my 9900 last month. Plan to keep both. I want to fool around with profiles so I plan to get the Spectrophotometer for the 7900 after Christmas.

Just to add another thing. We have had some trouble from the start getting the prints all the same size ,so we went another direction. We print the image as large as we can on 17" or 24" canvas. With the larger 36" and 44" canvases we have no issues at all. Plenty of extra canvas.We run photos through Genuine Fratals 6 for the edge stretch. After printing we just measure the face surface and then make our frames to fit each individual canvas. Very easy unless you are not making your own stretcher frames. Other issues we fight are ink and varnish drying. Thats another topic in itself.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 06:12:45 am by Dan Berg »
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

Doyle Yoder

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 519
Gallery Stretcher machine
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 08:02:53 am »

Quote from: Dan Berg
Other issues we fight are ink and varnish drying. Thats another topic in itself.

Depending on how much canvas your printing you might want to look at going the Heat Set film lamination route.

Doyle
Logged

ghaynes754

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 105
Gallery Stretcher machine
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 12:03:23 pm »

Thanks Dan.  I was coming to about the same conclusion after looking at it some more last night.

Gary
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up