Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bridge "remembers" raw state?  (Read 5227 times)

Bill Jaynes

Bridge "remembers" raw state?
« on: November 15, 2009, 09:45:42 pm »

I'm wondering what Bridge does with RAW data. I'm new to it, so, I opened a .CR2 file into ACR and did some modifications and clicked done. Now in Bridge the image appears changed with some dots below it in the thumbnail gallery. I close and reopen Bridge and those changes still appear. I had been using DPP and it does not see the file changes. Does Bridge store changes to RAW files?
Thanks,
Bill
Best regards,
Bill Jaynes [url=http://ww

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 09:59:52 pm »

Quote from: Bill Jaynes
I'm wondering what Bridge does with RAW data. I'm new to it, so, I opened a .CR2 file into ACR and did some modifications and clicked done. Now in Bridge the image appears changed with some dots below it in the thumbnail gallery. I close and reopen Bridge and those changes still appear. I had been using DPP and it does not see the file changes. Does Bridge store changes to RAW files?
Thanks,
Bill
The settings for ACR are stored in a 'sidecar' XMP file placed in the same directory with the .CR2 file.

Bill Jaynes

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 10:08:01 pm »

Thanks Jeremy, and there they are in Explorer. Can one toggle, in Bridge, between the original RAW and what was done in ACR?

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
The settings for ACR are stored in a 'sidecar' XMP file placed in the same directory with the .CR2 file.
Best regards,

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 10:49:38 pm »

Thanks Jeremy, and there they are in Explorer. Can one toggle, in Bridge, between the original RAW and what was done in ACR?
Hmmm .... not in Bridge ...

But what do you mean by the "original RAW"?

Do you mean the rendered image you first see in DPP or the first rendering in ACR?

Bill Jaynes

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 11:26:45 pm »

I mean the basic image in DPP. If I could toggle between that and what the sidecar file renders, both, in Bridge, I'd get a better idea of where I was taking the file. I noticed that if I deleted the sidecar file, Bridge again displays the untreated file.

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Hmmm .... not in Bridge ...

But what do you mean by the "original RAW"?

Do you mean the rendered image you first see in DPP or the first rendering in ACR?
Best regards,

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:16:53 am »

I mean the basic image in DPP. If I could toggle between that and what the sidecar file renders, both, in Bridge, I'd get a better idea of where I was taking the file. I noticed that if I deleted the sidecar file, Bridge again displays the untreated file.
If you delete the sidecar (and before opening in ACR), I think it would initially show the embeded jpeg - which is far from 'untreated' ... it is treated according to the settings in the camera ... which is usually a decent, but generic conversion from RAW.

P.S. ... and that embedded jpeg will look just like the basic image in DPP when you first open it up.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 12:20:31 am by Jeremy Payne »

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:55:54 am »

Or you can hit 'camera raw defaults' in the ACR menu. The best way is to use the snapshots tab, take a snapshot after your processing, hit 'camera raw defaults' and save that snapshot too and toggle between the two. Snapshots is such a good tool in ACR, perfect for comparing two different renditions or crops as well as showing the differences to a 3rd party. Use it the whole time.

bjanes

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 07:47:05 am »

Bill,

I have to enter into this discussion since your name is quite similar to mine, Janes. If you plan to use ACR as your default raw converter you should get Real World Camera Raw by Fraser and Schewe. ACR is too complex a program to learn from a few comments on the forum.

If you download a batch of raw photos from the camera to a folder and then open it in ACR you will note that the thumbnails that are initially displayed are those from the embedded JPEG image as rendered by the camera with the settings you have chosen in the camera. ACR then begins working and the thumbnails are replaced one by one with those derived from an ACR rendering using the default ACR settings. As mentioned above those default parameters are stored in a sidecar .XMP file unless you have chosen to have them stored in a central location by ACR (the Camera Raw Database).

ACR does not read or use camera settings except for the white balance and the ACR defaults are a rather neutral and bland appearing rendering, which you can then edit using the ACR adjustments. If you want the ACR rendering to be similar to that of the camera, you should apply the Camera Standard profile or one of the other camera profiles that Adobe supplies with ACR. If you want, you can change the ACR default rendering with the flyout menu to the right of the basic ACR settings.

I use Nikon rather than Canon, but if DPP is like the Nikon raw converter, it can store its settings in the raw file so you can use them later. ACR will ignore these settings. If you want your own editing settings to be stored in the raw file with ACR, you can convert the raw files to DNG using the DNG converter and then edit the DNGs in ACR. The editing parameters will be stored in the DNG file and a sidecar file is not used.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2009, 08:00:33 am »

Does Bridge store changes to RAW files?

As has already been mentioned, Bridge stores RAW conversion settings either in a sidecar XML file next to the RAW file, or inside a DNG file if the RAW has been converted to DNG format. But the more important thing to understand is that there is no such thing as the "original RAW file"; there is only the default set of RAW conversion settings, which vary considerably between RAW converters. With any RAW converter, you can make your own set of default conversion settings, which in effect changes the look of the "original RAW".

This is the beauty of RAW; it is like undeveloped film that you can process however you choose with whatever tool you choose that is capable of reading the file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up