Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two DVD's on using the 5D for video  (Read 3160 times)

spotmeter

• http://www.photographica.us
Two DVD's on using the 5D for video
« on: November 07, 2009, 11:48:00 pm »

My progression is the reverse of most--I started in film years ago making documentaries and now do stills (which I like much better).

Still, the video capability of the 5D2 (which is a terrific stills camera) piqued my interest.  But, as always, the manual was pathetic.

So I bought a couple of DVD's since I learn better when someone shows me than when I read a lame manual.

The first video -- '5D Film School' -- does not have much about how to use the 5D2 per se. It is more about filmmaking. If you have never made a film and know nothing about it, you can learn quite a bit from this video. The problem is that I kept falling asleep while watching it. I couldn't figure out if it was the on-screen presence (or lack thereof) of the presenter, or the really trivial examples (gambling addiction and two broads in a lame fight scene)--but I couldn't keep my eyes open.

The second -- 'Learn 5D Mark II Cinematography' -- by F-stop Academy is much more about the 5D2 and how to really set it up and what accessories to get. The only problem is that the first part of the video is filled with endless (and I mean endless) wide-angle close ups of people smoking (Hey! This is 2009. Do people really still smoke?).  Instead of putting me to sleep like the first video, this one made me nauseous. The only saving grace of these nutcases blowing smoke into the camera is that there seems to be just as many loonies in Sofia as in San Francisco (of course the reason I no longer go into the city is to avoid these types).

So, if you don't mind throwing up, or you think smoking is cool, I recommend the second video. If you never learned anything about film or video, get the first one. Or get both like I did and fall asleep while your dinner comes up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up