Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which LR Profiles should I use for Nikon D700  (Read 2419 times)

kuau

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 220
Which LR Profiles should I use for Nikon D700
« on: November 05, 2009, 11:43:04 pm »

Running LR 2.5 and shooting with a D700 NEFS. Shooting primarily landscapes. I am confused on which profile to choose in LR Development Module. I realize it's all personal preference yet if im looking for the most faithful reproduction of the scene without having to create a custom profile for every shooting condition  what would be a good starting point? Adobe Standard, ACR 4.6 then there all the beta profiles in the list. I guess I could shoot a grretag macbeth chart and convert the target with all the caned profiles and see which one reproduces the chart the most accurately.
Any suggestions??

Steven
Logged
__________________________________________________________________________
Leica S006, Leica SL HP Z3200 PS Printer
http://www.kuau.com

howardm

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1984
Which LR Profiles should I use for Nikon D700
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 08:06:21 am »

I think the 2.5 update should have installed non-beta (those are pretty old by now) camera specific profiles.

Alan Goldhammer

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4349
    • A Goldhammer Photography
Which LR Profiles should I use for Nikon D700
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 08:27:09 am »

Quote from: kuau
Running LR 2.5 and shooting with a D700 NEFS. Shooting primarily landscapes. I am confused on which profile to choose in LR Development Module. I realize it's all personal preference yet if im looking for the most faithful reproduction of the scene without having to create a custom profile for every shooting condition  what would be a good starting point? Adobe Standard, ACR 4.6 then there all the beta profiles in the list. I guess I could shoot a grretag macbeth chart and convert the target with all the caned profiles and see which one reproduces the chart the most accurately.
Any suggestions??

Steven
See Michael's review of the X-Rite Passport.  You should pick one up and create your own profile.  It's very easy and you can take a couple of shots under different lighting conditions when you are out in the field.  I've done with with my D300 and the results, while subtle do make a difference.  You also can get the white balance this way and using Lightroom synch all your shots before doing any further development.
Logged

Jeremy Payne

  • Guest
Which LR Profiles should I use for Nikon D700
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 09:20:48 am »

Quote from: kuau
Running LR 2.5 and shooting with a D700 NEFS. Shooting primarily landscapes. I am confused on which profile to choose in LR Development Module. I realize it's all personal preference yet if im looking for the most faithful reproduction of the scene without having to create a custom profile for every shooting condition  what would be a good starting point? Adobe Standard, ACR 4.6 then there all the beta profiles in the list. I guess I could shoot a grretag macbeth chart and convert the target with all the caned profiles and see which one reproduces the chart the most accurately.
Any suggestions??

Steven
The profile "D2X Mode 2" is probably the most "faithful" as far as I can see ... but IMHO, you're barking up the wrong tree looking for "faithful" colors for your landscape photography.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up