Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: UV Filtration for X-Rite i1Extreme Spectrophotometer?  (Read 5092 times)

Richard Ripley

• http://www.richardripley.com
UV Filtration for X-Rite i1Extreme Spectrophotometer?
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:37:06 am »

I am considering purchasing a X-Rite i1Extreme Spectro.

Should I purchase the i1Extreme with the "UV cut" or without?

I don't think I will be using too many papers with OBA's but my understanding is that you need the UV cut for papers with OBA's. Is there a downside to getting the i1Extreme with the UV cut filter?

I'm a really "newbie" when it comes to all of this. I have been profiling my monitor with a Monaco Optix XR (DTP94) and ColorEyes Display Pro. I plan on replacing my Epson 2200 with an Epson 3880 and I want to profile a number of different papers and of course come close to obtaining the "holy grail" of matching screen to print. I am familiar with Soft Proofing and techniques from the Luminous Landscape videos as well as from Jeff Schewe, Holbert, Rodney, etc. Currently, I am using purchased profiles which now don't seem to be "working." Those profiles are a number of years old which certainly could be a part of the problem.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Mac OS 10.5.8
Lightroom 2.5
Photoshop CS4

MHMG

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 05:12:19 pm »

Quote from: Richard Ripley
Should I purchase the i1Extreme with the "UV cut" or without?

I don't think I will be using too many papers with OBA's but my understanding is that you need the UV cut for papers with OBA's. Is there a downside to getting the i1Extreme with the UV cut filter?

I'm not sure about the software included with i1Extreme (others on this forum can confirm), but Xrite's Profilemaker 5.09 software can compensate during profile generation for the UV fluorescence of the paper, so the non-UV cut unit is the more versatile instrument, IMHO. Why? Because with a spot color measurement and a non UV-cut instrument you can actually measure the impact of the OBA in papers, especially those that have a lot of OBA. Ideally, measuring both UV-cut and UV-included will tell you the most complete story, but if you have only choice of one instrument, then the UV-included model alerts you to the OBA impact whereas the UV-cut model doesn't. Using the fluorescence compensation in the software then gets you close to the same result as if you had used a UV-cut spectro. In other words, the best of both worlds. But we will need to have other forum participants with direct knowledge of the i1 extreme software confirm that the bundled software with the i1 Extreme package has the Optical Brightener compensation feature like Xrites' top of the line Profilemaker 5.09 software. I has no first-hand knowledge that is does or doesn't.

kind regards,
Mark

Richard Ripley

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 07:48:13 pm »

Quote from: MHMG
I'm not sure about the software included with i1Extreme (others on this forum can confirm), but Xrite's Profilemaker 5.09 software can compensate during profile generation for the UV fluorescence of the paper, so the non-UV cut unit is the more versatile instrument, IMHO. Why? Because with a spot color measurement and a non UV-cut instrument you can actually measure the impact of the OBA in papers, especially those that have a lot of OBA. Ideally, measuring both UV-cut and UV-included will tell you the most complete story, but if you have only choice of one instrument, then the UV-included model alerts you to the OBA impact whereas the UV-cut model doesn't. Using the fluorescence compensation in the software then gets you close to the same result as if you had used a UV-cut spectro. In other words, the best of both worlds. But we will need to have other forum participants with direct knowledge of the i1 extreme software confirm that the bundled software with the i1 Extreme package has the Optical Brightener compensation feature like Xrites' top of the line Profilemaker 5.09 software. I has no first-hand knowledge that is does or doesn't.

kind regards,
Mark

Thanks for all the information. I look forward to some more input about the i1Extreme's included software and Optical Brightner compensation.

Best wishes,

Richard Ripley
www.richardripley.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:25:46 pm »

i1 Match should also use the software compensation like ProfileMaker pro (but unlike ProfileMaker Pro, you can’t turn it on and off).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

probep

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2009, 12:44:01 pm »

Some useful applications (KeyWizard for example) don't have the Optical Brightener compensation feature.

Quote from: MHMG
...the non-UV cut unit is the more versatile instrument, IMHO. Why? Because with a spot color measurement and a non UV-cut instrument you can actually measure the impact of the OBA in papers, especially those that have a lot of OBA. ...
the UV-included model alerts you to the OBA impact whereas the UV-cut model doesn't. Using the fluorescence compensation in the software then gets you close to the same result as if you had used a UV-cut spectro.
Hmm, not always.

Ideally, measuring both UV-cut and UV-included will tell you the most complete story.
That's right!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 12:52:46 pm by probep »

Richard Ripley

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2009, 01:38:33 pm »

Quote from: digitaldog
i1 Match should also use the software compensation like ProfileMaker pro (but unlike ProfileMaker Pro, you can’t turn it on and off).
OK, now I'm officially confused! What difference does it make if I turn the software compensation on and off? How is this feature effected by either a non-UV cut or UV cut version of i1Extreme?

I still don't understand which version of the i1Extreme to purchase - with or without UV filtration.

Would someone be kind enough to walk a complete neophyte through the decision making process and if possible explain the rational in simple terms even an idiot such as myself can understand. TIA!

na goodman

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2009, 06:03:45 pm »

If you ever think you are going to print using a rip than you should get the UV one. If you don't use a rip now and don't think you will be using one in the future than get the one without UV. i1match software will compensate automatically for OBA's in the paper. Again, if you think you will ever use  a rip get the UV one.

Richard Ripley

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 07:48:27 pm »

Quote from: na goodman
If you ever think you are going to print using a rip than you should get the UV one. If you don't use a rip now and don't think you will be using one in the future than get the one without UV. i1match software will compensate automatically for OBA's in the paper. Again, if you think you will ever use  a rip get the UV one.
Thank you! Is there a down side to getting the i1Extreme with the UV filter just in case I might use a RIP in the future? I have never used a RIP in the past and I don't think I will in the future but just in case???
Pages: [1]   Go Up