Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best backpacking camera/laptop bag???  (Read 3608 times)

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Best backpacking camera/laptop bag???
« on: October 29, 2009, 03:38:26 pm »

A couple of years ago, I invested about $300 in a Lowepro backpacker camera bag. Unfortunately it doesn't allow for carrying a laptop in it. And I need my laptop to be in either my camera bag, or my second carry-on.

I'd like to hear what you use, and what you like. If I purchase a new backpack bag, I want it to be the maximum size that domestic airlines will allow (width + height + depth must equal 45" or less). I want my tripod to be centered on the back of the pack (not out on the side). If my laptop is right behind my tripod, I fear that the weight of the  tripod and Really Right Stuff ball head will dent my laptop. Maybe they have done a good job designing their packs to avoid this.

Maybe I just need a new "second" bag. The problem is that a second carryon can't be larger than 15" x 11" x 6 (a combined total length of 32").

Or maybe I can find a hard "shell" for my 15" MacBookPro .... and then I can simply stuff it in one of my existing bags.

Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

ryanfernandez

« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 01:29:17 am »

Why do you want to stuff something as special as a MacBook Pro into an existing bag? I think it deserves a special bag of its own. I travel frequently on work and can imagine how harrowing it can be to get two carry-on bags past security. That’s why I love my 15.4” SpeedThru laptop sleeve. It meets the TSA checkpoint friendly guidelines and allows me to go through security without having to remove the laptop from the sleeve. It’s lightweight, comfortable, and meets the dimension specifications you mentioned for the second carry-on bag. And it costs much less than what you spent on your camera backpack.

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 11:56:41 am »

If you are in the market for that type of bag, check the Think Tank Airport Accelerated.  It has straps and adjustable compartments, as well as a computer compartment with it's own removable computer case.  Very handy.  They fit in airlines overhead compartments.  I have one and like it very much, although I am now using the Think Tank Modular System for my more vigorous outdoor shooting.  But I'm now thinking my new on-the-road computer will be an iPad...

Hank

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »

Kinda depends on your proportion of backpacking gear to camera gear, and how accessible you want the camera gear to be.

Best for me is a dedicated conventional backpack and individual "belt" pouches for my camera gear.  Plenty of protection for the camera gear, and you can stow it wherever it makes the most sense in your pack.  Any gear you want accessible while hiking, just hang the pouches from your waist strap or shoulder straps.  On location, put them on your belt and no need for a second bag.  I've never carried a laptop backpacking, so no help there.  In fact, I'm NOT going to carry a laptop till they get down less than a pound and are bullet proof against shock.

I always carry a couple of the pouches in my daypack too, for easy access on day trips.  My favorite daytrip pack is the largest Tamrac Adventure pack.  Don't remember if it's a 9 or a 10 these days.  Its space is divided about half and half between camera gear and personal space, plus it has a laptop slot, but I still want those belt pouches so I can change lenses, cards, filters or batteries without taking off the pack to get at it.  Space for personal gear is a big deal for me in any pack.  Dedicated camera packs don't have any.  The Tamrac Adventure packs have more than any other model or brand.  Easy choice for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up