Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ColorEyes Display Pro and Spyder2express  (Read 2680 times)

MiguelAngel

ColorEyes Display Pro and Spyder2express
« on: October 20, 2009, 04:26:37 am »

Hi guys. I'm Miguel Angel, from Spain. My first post here... First, thanks for this great forum and your C&C are welcome (sorry for my bad english   ).
Recently i bought a colorimeter, Spyder2Express, and i'm trying ColorEyes Display Pro for calibrate my desktop monitor and my laptop. I have some doubts:

Desktop monitor (HP F1904, 19", 1280x1024, DVI, TN Pannel, 5 years old, not DDC) and Nvidia 7900GT (Windows XP SP3 as OS)

Environment for calibration: dark room, any light...

a) ICC V4 16 bits or ICC V2? For my understanding i think that ICC V4 is better...

White point target: D65, D50, Native White Point (recommended in program if i not have a DDC device, but i don't have this option in menu monitor) or measure with sensor...  (i've used this option measuring with Spyder2 directly in screen monitor, and i set a 5600k value, X=0.3267, Y=0,3505) ; i set in luminance (120 cd/m2 by default).
c) Gamma: L* (recommended), Gamma 2.2 or Gamma 1.8? I set L*

d) Black point target: black rendering (relative or absolute, i set relative by default) and luminance or contrast ratio (i set luminance in minimum by default), and in This test i perceive pattern in Step 2,3... (seems a good black point)

e) Precalibration: practically i don't touch any RGB value in my OSD monitor, because with  5600k, all sliders are in 0 position. If i set b)D65, i should to raise red slider and compensate blue and green... (i don't understand well this option... and i don't know if is better measuring in  or set D65)

f) Finally profiling...

For Laptop, Asus FS3C, 15", only LCD Bright, i don't know what is different compared to my desktop monitor.... Surely, is only LCD Bright (not gains), but i don't have OSD... so i don't know how calibrate it.

Thanks for your support.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 09:34:29 am »

All of what you are doing looks sensible from what I can tell just from the description - I don't know your display, working environment or printing set-up well enough to be sure - so advice here has natural limitations. Your choice of 5600K makes sense insofar as the room illumination in which you will be viewing the prints will probably be AT LEAST this warm, if not warmer. The less you need to fiddle with OSD controls the happier you are, as long as the results are OK. You know the results are OK once you actually test the outcome of all these choices. Download Bill Atkinson's printer test target from his website, don't make any adjustments to it, except perhaps you may need to resize it, then print it using the correct profile for your paper and printer and compare the print with the on-screen display under soft-proof in Photoshop (set-up your softproof condition in View>Softproof) to simulate the profile you are using and check "Simulate Paper White"). It would be normal for the on-screen display to look a bit richer than the print, but apart from that the two should match quite well. If they do, you are well managed and can leave well-enough alone. If they don't, then you may need to make some adjustments depending on the nature of the differences you observe.

As for the laptop - very difficult - not worth the effort. Each time you change the EXACT position between your head the the display, the image will look different, making it a very slippery exercise at best. I simply wouldn't do any critical image editing on most laptops. You can however use that same Atkinson printer test target on your laptop to see whether at one instant in time your head and the screen are well-enough aligned to get the closest to correct view of the image this set-up will allow - but don't move anything, including your head, while you are working on it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

MiguelAngel

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 05:36:38 am »

I don't know your display, working environment or printing set-up

Thanks MarkDs. My display is a desktop monitor HP F1904 (TN Pannel, DVI, 1280x1024, 19"). Usually i edit my photos at night in a dark room, only light from monitor. I have a inkjet printer (Canon Pixma IP4200), but i use it only for sporadic printings. Usually i print my photos in a lab ( have Adobe RGB 1998 as profile).

Thanks for your support

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 09:20:53 am »

OK - the variable out of your control is the colour management at the lab end of the processing chain. If the lab uses ICC profiles and there's some way you could obtain a profile of their printing device and load it into your computer, you may be able to soft-proof for the behaviour of their machine and adjust your images accordingly.

MiguelAngel

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 04:38:43 am »

Thanks MarkDs. Now i have profiles from Lab. I copied to C:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color. I open an image in Photoshop CS4, View, Proof Color, Custom Proof Condition (Custom), Device to Simulate (i choose *.icm from lab), and i don't know which other options i need to check, as Preserve RGB Numbers, o Rendering Intent, or Display Options (On-Screen)...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 09:46:45 am »

Do not select "Preserve RGB numbers". You'd probably be safest selecting "Perceptual" for the Rendering Intent, but "Relative Colorimetric" may be OK too (the difference is in how they deal with out-of-gamut colours). You should defiintely select "Simulate Paper White". Try adjusting several images with the soft proof active, take them to the lab for printing, and let us know how it all works for you.

Pages: [1]   Go Up