Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Really right stuff new tripod  (Read 16727 times)

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13983
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Really right stuff new tripod
« on: October 19, 2009, 05:30:42 am »

Dear all,

Unless I missed it, I didn't see on LL any news/threads on this new RRS heavy duty tripod.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.a...amp;eq=&Tp=

Has anyone tried it yet?

I have been extremely happy with my Gitzo GT5531s that belong to the same category and do not intend to replace it in the short term, but it would be interesting to know if the Versa is up to the ambitious claims of its designers.

Cheers,
Bernard

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13833
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:58:41 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Dear all,

Unless I missed it, I didn't see on LL any news/threads on this new RRS heavy duty tripod.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.a...amp;eq=&Tp=

Has anyone tried it yet?

I have been extremely happy with my Gitzo GT5531s that belong to the same category and do not intend to replace it in the short term, but it would be interesting to know if the Versa is up to the ambitious claims of its designers.

Cheers,
Bernard
Thanks for the info. I would also be interested in a real world review…
Logged
Francois

Josh-H

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2079
    • Wild Nature Photo Travel
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 05:59:15 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Dear all,

Unless I missed it, I didn't see on LL any news/threads on this new RRS heavy duty tripod.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.a...amp;eq=&Tp=

Has anyone tried it yet?

I have been extremely happy with my Gitzo GT5531s that belong to the same category and do not intend to replace it in the short term, but it would be interesting to know if the Versa is up to the ambitious claims of its designers.

Cheers,
Bernard

Bernard, I saw this as well in an email from RRS - it looks like a really well thought out design and owning a fair bit of RRS I am sure it is really well engineered and constructed.

Likewise I am very happy with my Gitzo Carbon and RRS RH-55 Ballhead - but I would look at this new RRS tripod if and when I need to replace my Gitzo.

Anyone tried or seen one in the field yet?
Logged
Wild Nature Photo Travel

K.C.

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 671
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 12:36:16 pm »

Looks and functions no differently than a carbon fiber Gitzo. They have a broader weave to the carbon fiber fabric which is less appealing to my eye.
Logged

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 01:12:48 pm »

Quote from: Josh-H
Likewise I am very happy with my Gitzo Carbon and RRS RH-55 Ballhead - but I would look at this new RRS tripod if and when I need to replace my Gitzo.

+1, I am likewise very happy with this combination.

It looks like RRS will introduce a lightweight set of legs as well (TVC-23).  This might be interesting for travel or hiking.

I have heard a couple of different ship dates, ranging from the next 4 weeks to the end of the year.

Paul
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 01:14:47 pm by PaulS »
Logged

vandevanterSH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 02:32:11 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Dear all,

Unless I missed it, I didn't see on LL any news/threads on this new RRS heavy duty tripod.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/rrs/Itemdesc.a...amp;eq=&Tp=

Has anyone tried it yet?

I have been extremely happy with my Gitzo GT5531s that belong to the same category and do not intend to replace it in the short term, but it would be interesting to know if the Versa is up to the ambitious claims of its designers.

Cheers,
Bernard

I ordered one in Nov '09..I received it a few days ago.  The mechanism for securing the top plate is very different from the Gitzo and seems to be an improvement.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:42:59 pm by vandevanterSH »
Logged

BernardLanguillier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13983
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:18 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
I ordered one in Nov '09..I received it a few days ago.  The mechanism for securing the top plate is very different from the Gitzo and seems to be an improvement.

Steve

Steve,

Cool, I'd be interested in hearing your impresseions as you use it out in the field.

As of now though, I am super happy about my Gitzo 5531s, but it is a bit heavy for winter outings.

Cheers,
Bernard

vandevanterSH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:57:53 pm »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
Steve,

Cool, I'd be interested in hearing your impresseions as you use it out in the field.

As of now though, I am super happy about my Gitzo 5531s, but it is a bit heavy for winter outings.

Cheers,
Bernard

Haven't had a chance to "beat it up" yet but it has typical fit and finish of RRS products.  The metal parts are machined and the CF has a nice look.  The initial surprise was seeing the size of the legs and the weight being lighter than my "mental calculation" for what I thought it should weigh.  There is no industry standard but it is rated about the same as the 5531 at 25kg.

                   5531                               TVC-33
capacity         25kg                                 25kg

max ht          133 cm                               147.3 cm

folded ht          63 cm                                66 cm

weight            2.7 kg                                  1.8 kg

The fixation of the head plate is "positive" rather than friction.  The legs segments unlock and lock with ~ 1/8 turn of the large rubber "knobs".  With the legs fully extended on a hard surface and pushing down on the ball-head, the tripod feels like it is bolted to the floor; it's utterly rigid.  I have included a few pics of the head plate assembly.

It is a new product and has no track record, so durability etc. are unknown but RRS has a good rep. for quality so I feel confident that it won't fall apart next month. :>)

Steve
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 11:02:18 pm by vandevanterSH »
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13833
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 04:41:49 am »

Steve,
Thanks for sharing your initial impressions. Please, keep us posted when you'll have more field experience with it. The machining looks awesome, well in line with other RRS products.
Logged
Francois

Scott O.

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 315
    • Photography by Scott and Joyce
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 12:16:37 pm »

Don't know if it applies to the new RRS tripods (which look fabulous on paper!), but the bicycle industry has made some interesting findings regarding the strength of carbon fiber tubing, which is now being used on most all top end bicycles.  A thinner walled but larger diameter tube is lighter and stronger than a thicker walled but smaller diameter tube.  The thin wall large diameter tube also dampens road vibration better.  Seems like this would apply to tripod construction also.

marklankton

  • Antarctica 2016
  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 6
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2010, 10:17:30 pm »

Quote from: soberle
Don't know if it applies to the new RRS tripods (which look fabulous on paper!), but the bicycle industry has made some interesting findings regarding the strength of carbon fiber tubing, which is now being used on most all top end bicycles.  A thinner walled but larger diameter tube is lighter and stronger than a thicker walled but smaller diameter tube.  The thin wall large diameter tube also dampens road vibration better.  Seems like this would apply to tripod construction also.
Of course this principle applies to any material, not just carbon fiber. The trick is to balance light weight, strength, and resistance to dings.  
Logged

JPrimgaard

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 54
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2010, 10:39:32 pm »

Quote from: marklankton
Of course this principle applies to any material, not just carbon fiber. The trick is to balance light weight, strength, and resistance to dings.  

Sounds like what an aeronautical engineer is up against
Logged

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2010, 12:30:00 am »

I had a chance to  briefly "play" with one today at the RRS headquarters in San Luis Obispo, California (I was passing through on my way to San Francisco).  Tripods are one of those pieces of kit that you just have to try out in person and I was curious to find out how it performed.

The bottom line is that if I didn't already have a perfectly good Gitzo 1348 AND I had $900 to spend on a tripod, this would be it.  It is finely designed and crafted, as one would expect from RRS, and has that intangible feel of high quality.

Legs extend quickly and smoothly and lock positively.  The height is perfect for my 5'11" height.  The larger diameter tubes take a little getting used to, but seem to make it easier to get a firm grip particularly on the lower, smaller sections.

The Gitzo 1348 with 4 section legs does fold up shorter, goes taller and would probably be more versatile on slopes and other non-flat surfaces.  I do like RRS's antitwist leg locks a lot better than the locks on my older Gitzo.

Obviously, the true test is to thrash one in heat, cold mud and dust.  I am also curious to know how it withstands being dropped, scratched by rocks, etc.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 12:48:55 am by Paul Sumi »
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13833
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2010, 01:58:32 am »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
I had a chance to  briefly "play" with one today at the RRS headquarters in San Luis Obispo, California (I was passing through on my way to San Francisco).  Tripods are one of those pieces of kit that you just have to try out in person and I was curious to find out how it performed.

The bottom line is that if I didn't already have a perfectly good Gitzo 1348 AND I had $900 to spend on a tripod, this would be it.  It is finely designed and crafted, as one would expect from RRS, and has that intangible feel of high quality.

Legs extend quickly and smoothly and lock positively.  The height is perfect for my 5'11" height.  The larger diameter tubes take a little getting used to, but seem to make it easier to get a firm grip particularly on the lower, smaller sections.

The Gitzo 1348 with 4 section legs does fold up shorter, goes taller and would probably be more versatile on slopes and other non-flat surfaces.  I do like RRS's antitwist leg locks a lot better than the locks on my older Gitzo.

Obviously, the true test is to thrash one in heat, cold mud and dust.  I am also curious to know how it withstands being dropped, scratched by rocks, etc.

Paul
Paul,
Thanks for the short review. I'll look into the RRS tripod when my 1348 dies/breaks but I hope that they offer a longer version in the future.
Logged
Francois

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2010, 09:50:47 am »

Quote from: francois
Paul,
Thanks for the short review. I'll look into the RRS tripod when my 1348 dies/breaks but I hope that they offer a longer version in the future.

You're welcome!

The next tripod coming out is the smaller, lighter TVC-23.  I didn't see that one, but I was told that pre-orders could possibly start as early as the end of this month.

Paul
Logged

vandevanterSH

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 625
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2010, 12:27:38 pm »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
You're welcome!

The next tripod coming out is the smaller, lighter TVC-23.  I didn't see that one, but I was told that pre-orders could possibly start as early as the end of this month.

Paul

I hope that they start selling the TVC-33 accessories first.  There is still a 6 week wait for the TVC-33 so adding a second tripod would delay even more???

Steve
Logged

Paul Sumi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1217
Really right stuff new tripod
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2010, 09:36:39 am »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
The next tripod coming out is the smaller, lighter TVC-23.  I didn't see that one, but I was told that pre-orders could possibly start as early as the end of this month.

Oops!  I made a mistake - when I said, "end of month," I meant end of February. Sorry about any confusion.

Paul
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up