Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Down

Author Topic: Becoming a great Architectural Photographer!?  (Read 86767 times)

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
Becoming a great Architectural Photographer!?
« Reply #140 on: November 20, 2009, 11:42:00 am »

Quote from: Yelhsa
Thanks Jack

These images probably come under the heading of 'advertising' more... as opposed to 'architectural'.

Having said that, 'Architectural Photography' in theory covers a huge range of things.
It's not just about the exterior of buildings, which most people first think of when they talk about Architectural Photography, it's about the interior too and everything within.

Plus it's not just about shooting for Architects; in fact, I'd personally say Architects were way, way down the list of people who actually need images in this field. Their actual Usage requirements are usually not that great; as a result, their budget for images are usually not that great neither.

It's been years since I've produced any images for an Architect to use; however, I've shot loads of 'architectural' stuff (including their homes and projects they have worked on) but it's been for others to use, not them.

Ashley

Largely true in my experience.

IME-this is rough and not meant to be rigid-there are allot of exceptions-the lowest end of the market would be for residential realtors (not of multi-million dollar houses), then editorial for local magazines, then small contractors, then local interior designers, then large contractors, local architects, editorial for national magazines, local ad agencies, national architects and interior designers, at the top is ads for national manufactures, big hotel chains, big retailers, annual reports etc. I work mainly for architects and related magazines because I love architecture and enjoy shooting it, I understand their needs and enjoy working with them, but their are more lucrative AP markets.

For beginners......You need actual assignment results in your portfolio, not just images you shot for yourself. Use the low end of the market which is more accessible to build your portfolio, equipment, expertise, personal style etc. Leverage assignments to move up the ladder ie leverage a shoot for a local commercial contractor to include more sophisticated clients involved in the project like the architect or high end materials manufactures. Does the project have stock potential for trade or consumer magazines? Don't shoot to the lowest expectations of an undemanding client. Even if you blow your estimate. Shoot to the level of client you want to move to.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 11:43:36 am by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

tom_l

• http://www.tomlucas.net
« Reply #141 on: November 20, 2009, 12:04:45 pm »

Quote from: Yelhsa
That one was 99% as you see it.
Timing was the key - because like you say, it would have been quite a challenge otherwise to light.
This is part of the reason why we would recce the place beforehand - when taking on large projects like this.
Out of the 30+ images produced, that was one of the few that didn't need to be lit.

Some of my other favourites from that shoot:

As for the cameras - the 503's and FlexBody's are still my main workhorses.
Living in hope, that one day they will produce a full frame 6x6 digital back.

Cheers,
Ashley

great! really like your work,
you have developped a very own distinctive photography style, something very difficult in any kind of photography.

Tom

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2009, 09:39:29 am »

To bring the focus of this thread back to discussing equipment that has and has not worked, has anyone ever experimented with the Cambo X-2 Pro camera system?

Here is a link to their site:
http://www.cambo.com/

Interesting concept and would allow use of the quality Schneider and Rodenstock lenses with a Canon or Nikon.

Jack

CBarrett

« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2009, 09:47:30 am »

Quote from: Lust4Life
To bring the focus of this thread back to discussing equipment that has and has not worked, has anyone ever experimented with the Cambo X-2 Pro camera system?

Here is a link to their site:
http://www.cambo.com/

Interesting concept and would allow use of the quality Schneider and Rodenstock lenses with a Canon or Nikon.

Jack

I see that like arca's dslr version of the M2, you are limited to Schneider's questionable retrofocus 28mm and then the next widest is a 72mm.  Not real usable for architecture.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2009, 10:23:59 am »

Thanks Chris.
I'll count that one out.

I'm still working on cost effective way to keep my Hassie and yet have T/S capability - about to give up and go the Canon/Nikon route with T/S lenses.

Was also considering Cambo WRS with a couple of lenses - far more affordable than the arTek route - but I just don't see a sliding back.
I hate the idea of constantly moving my back on and off to focus/shoot/etc.  
Just won't do it - I shake too much and clumsy is my middle name.  And Murphy's Law is the axiom that has defined my Life.  

Jack

Quote from: CBarrett
I see that like arca's dslr version of the M2, you are limited to Schneider's questionable retrofocus 28mm and then the next widest is a 72mm.  Not real usable for architecture.

michele

« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2009, 10:33:10 am »

Quote from: Lust4Life
Thanks Chris.
I'll count that one out.

I'm still working on cost effective way to keep my Hassie and yet have T/S capability - about to give up and go the Canon/Nikon route with T/S lenses.

Was also considering Cambo WRS with a couple of lenses - far more affordable than the arTek route - but I just don't see a sliding back.
I hate the idea of constantly moving my back on and off to focus/shoot/etc.  
Just won't do it - I shake too much and clumsy is my middle name.  And Murphy's Law is the axiom that has defined my Life.  

Jack

Whay don't you take a look at silvestri's products? they are not bad and you can use the sliding back also with the 24mm...
They seem to be a cheaper option...

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2009, 01:00:53 pm »

Quote from: michele
Whay don't you take a look at silvestri's products? they are not bad and you can use the sliding back also with the 24mm...
They seem to be a cheaper option...

I knew a chap that owned the gear - he never seemed to be happy with it - problems on Focus - not being even across the image plane.

Thus, I've been a bit reserved of their gear.
Jack
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:40:14 pm by Lust4Life »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #147 on: November 23, 2009, 08:08:07 am »

Quote from: MarkWelsh
So glad this thread turned about page 3 to a question of differing trans-Atlantic aesthetics.

I was fuming over some of the pictures referenced here . . . personally, I favour 'lit' exteriors but the examples shown, using 92 lights, had me choking in my cornflakes! Yes, you could get that shot with six assistants, 92 lights and a dozen multi-kilowatt generators: or you could turn up alone, with no lights, wait patiently for 20 minutes, capture 3 exposures and sensitively blend them manually in PP to achieve PRECISELY the same effect.

Similarly, invading a home or public space with a cavalcade of expensive lighting, and assistants to operate them - TRYING to achieve that nasty, over-lit 'actually, this is just a studio set' look could be considered insane.

There are specific instances when a room needs help, and sensitive use of artificial lighting can be almost as good as the real thing . . . but there's no substitute for patience, natural light and lots of post-production (in my view). It's also much less intrusive and time-consuming on location. And cheaper.

Being British, I'm surprised we haven't spoken a lot more about the weather. Outside of New Mexico, the best architectural photographers are also part-time meteorologists!

How all this is charged is also an interesting and rarely discussed question: the day rate mentality is hard to change, but with more and more being done in post, and with unpredictable time spent on site, many clients would still like to see change from the quote if shots are bagged quicker than expected . . . whereas we might feel that it demonstrates our skill and proficiency which should be priced commensurately. We're focused on the value of the image, they may be more interested in the budget allocated to the whole project, of which our photographs are just a component.

Regarding charging by time spent on the job vs. a creative fee,  when the shooting is dependent upon circumstances beyond the photographer's control, such as the weather, it just seems to make sense to charge a creative fee. After all, by allowing for a certain shooting schedule based on uncertainties, the photographer might have to turn down other work. No?

CBarrett

« Reply #148 on: November 23, 2009, 11:59:13 pm »

I don't know if you guys have seen the Julius Shulman documentary, but it's absolutely phenomenal!

Must see!

PhilipJames

« Reply #149 on: November 24, 2009, 04:56:14 am »

Can I take the conversation back to the day rate versus per shot topic. I have shot in fashion for most of my career and Architecture is a fairly new direction for me so I'm still coming to terms with the best way to price things.  Initially I have been working off a day rate but the variation in output varies wildly, i.e. one job may require 5 or 6 shots and another 20+, so I am thinking to have a day rate for 1-10 shots and another for 11 +. Then of course that can fall down a bit if the extra shots required are 1 or 2 rather than 10, so I then thought maybe a day rate for 1-10 and per shot therafter.
Some of the posts have referred to a per shot basis from the outset, how does that work if the client only requires 1 shot (unlikely I know). Also the higher the shot output the more time spent in post production, how is everybody squaring that?

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #150 on: November 24, 2009, 06:28:29 am »

Quote from: PhilipJames
Can I take the conversation back to the day rate versus per shot topic. I have shot in fashion for most of my career and Architecture is a fairly new direction for me so I'm still coming to terms with the best way to price things.  Initially I have been working off a day rate but the variation in output varies wildly, i.e. one job may require 5 or 6 shots and another 20+, so I am thinking to have a day rate for 1-10 shots and another for 11 +. Then of course that can fall down a bit if the extra shots required are 1 or 2 rather than 10, so I then thought maybe a day rate for 1-10 and per shot therafter.
Some of the posts have referred to a per shot basis from the outset, how does that work if the client only requires 1 shot (unlikely I know). Also the higher the shot output the more time spent in post production, how is everybody squaring that?

Let me ask that we take the above topic over to part Three of the series, The Business Practices:
http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=39513

Thanks,
Jack
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 06:28:47 am by Lust4Life »

PhilipJames

« Reply #151 on: November 24, 2009, 12:11:29 pm »

removed
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 12:12:17 pm by PhilipJames »

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Re: Becoming a great Architectural Photographer!?
« Reply #152 on: February 01, 2015, 04:08:30 pm »

This is a terrific thread that offers many diverse points of view regarding business, aesthetics, workflow, technique and equipment, and I think it deserves a bump.

Also, I would like to expand the discussion to ask about how photographers are dealing with limited access for obtaining the best ambient lighting and/or deploying supplementary lighting and light modification. And, is there any way photographers have found to help clients who are less experienced with using high-quality professional photography to ensure that they can obtain as much access as possible to their projects, in order to obtain the best quality photos under the circumstances.

Specific problems relating to access would be things such as access to do scouting photos, the amount of time available to capture the final photos, the ability to rearrange furnishings, access to controls for the "house" lighting, access for covering or filtering windows and house lights, and so on.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #153 on: August 14, 2015, 09:05:30 pm »

Hi David - this is Jack Brady - the chap that started this thread and part 2 as well.

I to am surprised that more current info and sharing of images/work has not been posted.
Let's see if we can wake up some of the folks to see how their techniques and tools have changed.

Jack

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #154 on: August 15, 2015, 03:11:45 pm »

Hi Jack,

Nice to see you around! On the personal side, I am around getting a 24/3.5 TS system, just the camera (A7rII) missing, and I will do some nice travel to medieval cities. Hopefully, some nice pictures will results.

Best regards
Erik

Hi David - this is Jack Brady - the chap that started this thread and part 2 as well.

I to am surprised that more current info and sharing of images/work has not been posted.
Let's see if we can wake up some of the folks to see how their techniques and tools have changed.

Jack
Erik Kaffehr

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #155 on: August 16, 2015, 10:48:34 am »

Jack

Hi Jack,

Glad to see you coming back to this thread after a long time. I would love to hear how things have gone for you in terms of 'greatness' and 'success' as far as architectural photography goes? Any lessons to share along the way?

Thanks for starting a great thread.
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #156 on: August 16, 2015, 10:59:42 am »

... this is Jack Brady - the chap that started this thread and part 2 as well...

Hi Jack,

I can't find #2 with the search. Perhaps it would be useful to post links in each of the three installments to the other two?

georgem

• Architecture - Landscape - Nature
« Reply #157 on: August 17, 2015, 03:52:45 am »

Hi Jack,

I can't find #2 with the search. Perhaps it would be useful to post links in each of the three installments to the other two?

Here it is: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=39035

Search didn't find, but it was easier to go to Lust4Life's profile page, click on 'show last posts', then go to page 10 or so.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #158 on: August 17, 2015, 06:43:54 am »

Hi Jack,

Nice to hear about your plans for a new carier! Seems your health improved a lot in in the recent year!

I don't know about gear for architecture, but gear is always intended to solve problems. So find out which problems you face and than find the gear to serve you. With digital photography we can do a lot without special tools, for instance I do a lot of stitching.

Best regards
Erik

I have a long history of shooting landscapes and really enjoy it (http://www.shadowsdancing.com), however I do not find it a profitable venture.

I’ve become quite interested in Architectural Photography for two reasons:
   Beauty of the structure/s
   Capacity to generate revenue in a hopefully more predictable manner than Landscape Photography

Given –
I’m 63 and retired software developer on SGI platform.  I have a long history in digital image capture going back to the days of the Eikonics arrays.
I currently own:
Hasselblad H3D11-39MP
28mm, 80mm, 150mm
RRS Ultimate Omni-Pivot Package on Gitzo Carbon Tripod

I’m seeking suggestions/direction about:
   Equipment required to do the best of work
   Successful methods of marketing my services - seek architects, developers, high end realtors??????
   Other ideas I’m not aware of to ask yet

I feel I have enough energy to start a new career and I want it to be a profitable one - thus Architectural Photography seems a natural transition to me.
I have been experimenting with local structures, some of the condos on the beach here in Naples, FL are beautiful, and find it fascinating but different than Landscpaes.
Hoping my knowledge of HDR might allow me to focus solely on Natural Light rather than getting into a menagerie of lighting setups.
I want to do this solo, not with an assistant.

Observations from folks actually earning a living from Architectural work and shooting digitally would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

Erik Kaffehr

powerslave12r

• Flickr
« Reply #159 on: August 17, 2015, 10:00:12 am »

Here it is: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=39035

Search didn't find, but it was easier to go to Lust4Life's profile page, click on 'show last posts', then go to page 10 or so.

Thanks for that. I had quit around page 6 or 7. :D
http://www.flickr.com/garagenoise
DP2M | X-M1 | 6D | TS-E24IIL | EF24-105L
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]   Go Up