Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Final Turnabout  (Read 2168 times)

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Final Turnabout
« on: October 01, 2009, 12:21:20 pm »

Here's the last one I'll post from the art walk shoot. There are others that are keepers, at least for now, but four is enough to expose a sample of current work to the critics.

[attachment=16926:Plein_Aire.jpg]
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Final Turnabout
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:26:16 pm »

This is nice, too, but it doesn't excite me as much as the previous ones.

But all in all, you have shown us a nice "crop" of images (ouch!)

Eric

Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

byork

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 125
    • http://
Final Turnabout
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:43:35 pm »

Russ,

I'm finding the top half background a little busy and it doesn't isolate the subject enough. Perhaps less depth of field would have helped??

Cheers
Brian
Logged

cmi

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 492
Final Turnabout
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 05:58:32 pm »

I like this one most of all four because... hmm, I cannot say why. But I like it most. Maybe because it has something stronger going on, at least for my taste.
Logged

John R

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5248
Final Turnabout
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 08:09:00 pm »

Quote from: byork
Russ,

I'm finding the top half background a little busy and it doesn't isolate the subject enough. Perhaps less depth of field would have helped??

Cheers
Brian
This one does look rather busy and chaotic. The man and the painting seem to blend into the background, particularly his torso and head. But I do like it as slice of life on the street.

JMR
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Final Turnabout
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 10:44:29 am »

John, You're right. I tried to get the painter's face and hat against a background that would give better contrast but I couldn't do it without losing the length of the building behind. The painter and his wife are proprietors of Greenhorse Gallery, which is directly behind him. My wife and I bought the building in 1975, and she had a successful gallery in the whole thing for ten years until she got tired of the dailyness of it. We then split the building into its two original sides and rented them to various businesses for the next twenty-four years. About two months ago we sold the building to my eldest son and his wife. Ken, the painter, didn't know I shot this picture until I gave him a print of it, but I made it as a record as well as a street shot.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

jasonrandolph

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 554
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterpunk
Final Turnabout
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 11:41:19 am »

I agree with Brian.  Less DOF would've made it less busy.  But, for the purposes you stated for the shot, I think it's fine.  I'm sure he was pleased with the shot when you presented it to him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up