Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: G11 price in Europe Incredibly High !  (Read 4800 times)

thierrylegros396

G11 price in Europe Incredibly High !
« on: September 24, 2009, 06:53:16 am »

Canon "Sind Sie verruckt, Etes-vous Fous, Are you Crazy" ?!

New G11 at 669 Euros = 990 US Dollars !!!

How is it possible ?!

Even with 21% Value Added Tax (Belgium) it seems unbelievable.

G10's price was much lower last year with Euro at a lower rate !

At that price sure I will not buy one !!!

Sure I will keep my G10.

Thierry

MarkL

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:20:31 am »

£569 over here in the UK which is madness. I wonder how many people will spend that kind of money on a p&s camera?

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 07:31:23 am »

Sorry ... but what does the Euro/Dollar exchange rate have to do with a Japanese camera sold in Belgium?  I don't see what 'dollars' have to do with this at all ...

BTW - it is 569 euro at Amazon France.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 07:31:38 am by Jeremy Payne »

thierrylegros396

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 08:11:29 am »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
Sorry ... but what does the Euro/Dollar exchange rate have to do with a Japanese camera sold in Belgium?  I don't see what 'dollars' have to do with this at all ...

BTW - it is 569 euro at Amazon France.

Because it is "rated" as 500 Dollars for US market !
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 08:12:11 am by thierrylegros396 »

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:49:45 am »

Quote from: thierrylegros396
Well, that was the norm a few years ago...
I remember the canon 20-35/3.5-4.5 was at the same time (2002) 350$ at B&H or Adorama, and proposed at 680€ in french street stores (FNAC and the like). At that time dollar and euro were not far from on par, so that amounts to the same 2x factor in France.
NB it was only 480€ in Germany, so that may help to measure the part of social costs and the part of marketing premium.

Still now, if you want to buy a 24x36 dSLR, buying it in New York pays you the trip... Not very good for your carbon footprint, that said  .
For most articles though, I'd say finding the best price in Europe is more efficient especially if you consider customs and warranty problems.
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

Jeremy Payne

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:05:51 am »

Actually, MSRP is $600 - although you can get it on Amazon for $500.

Derry

• http://
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 11:19:38 am »

Thomas Krüger

• http://thomaskrueger.eu
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 11:38:22 am »

So don`t buy Canon gear in Europe...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:05:06 pm »

Interesting... what makes (some) Europeans think they are entitled  to US prices?

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 12:22:22 pm »

What on earth is that meant to mean?

John Camp

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 01:15:08 pm »

Quote from: pom
What on earth is that meant to mean?
Well, if I might suggest an answer to that -- almost *everything* in Europe is more expensive (even discounting the exchange rate) than it is in the US, and since the costs are different across the entire economy, I would have to put it down to one of two things -- either European businesses take larger profits, or the cost of doing business in Europe is much higher. I suspect the latter. I mean, good French wine costs more in France than it does in the US. Why is that? I spent a week at a Hilton hotel in Vienna a couple of years ago, and it cost 700 euros a night. A similar room in a Hilton in New York would probably be $400. I don't know enough about European tax schemes to pinpoint where the leakage is, but a 20% VAT might be a start, since it would add 100 euros to a 500-euro camera. But Europe is so highly regulated in everything that I suspect there are all kinds of additional "fees" along the way that also add to the bill.

NikoJorj

• http://nikojorj.free.fr/
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 04:21:25 pm »

Quote from: John Camp
one of two things -- either European businesses take larger profits, or the cost of doing business in Europe is much higher.
Sir, both, Sir.

As said with my 20-35 example, photo gear prices in Germany are often about midway between french prices and US prices, whereas the taxes, state intervention level and general cost of life are the same than this side of the Rhein. That applies also to bicycle gear and cosmetics, btw.
That demonstrates imho that the "Veblen good" effect is also at work here in France.
Easy solution : we froggies shall stop buying things at unjustified prices!
Nicolas from Grenoble
A small gallery

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 05:17:48 pm »

This comes up every so often, most of the reasons already listed:

• Taxes: European VAT is much higher than US taxes
  • Taxes 2: European prices are listed VAT inclusive, the $500 price in the US doesn't include state sales taxes
  • Taxes 3: Cost of doing business in Europe is much higher due to taxation which cascades through the entire economy *
  • Because they can

FWIW, I'm so sick of European taxes that I buy most of my camera gear from B&H on my trips to the US.

* in fairness, there are other factors, such as inflexible and immobile workforce, social security costs, localization of marketing, firmware and instruction books for for 30 or so countries, import duties, etc.

Guillermo Luijk

• http://www.guillermoluijk.com
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 06:38:06 pm »

Last year I did a 3-week trip to New England in the USA. I found absolutely everything, from food, to electronics, clothes, cars, rentals... far cheaper than in Europe. I guess buying fresh tomatoes and vegetables could be more expensive than in Spain, but I didn't manage to see them on any supermarket.

Just a ridiculous example about American clothing brands that exceeds all limits: a pair of Calvin Klein jeans bought in Macy's NY (not sale, just the regular price), was about $45. Posh assh**** are paying 120€ (i.e. $180) for the same stuff in Madrid, and are happy with its exclusiviness!.

BR
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 06:40:43 pm by GLuijk »

Ray

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 08:52:59 pm »

Canon "Sind Sie verruckt, Etes-vous Fous, Are you Crazy" ?!

How is it possible ?!

Even with 21% Value Added Tax (Belgium) it seems unbelievable.

G10's price was much lower last year with Euro at a lower rate !

At that price sure I will not buy one !!!

Sure I will keep my G10.

Thierry

Thierry,
If all you have to pay is an additional 21% VAT then the solution is quite simple. Buy from overseas and pay the VAT on receipt of the goods. The best price in Australia for the G11 is A$777 (US$668 at current rates). However, the following Singaporean company http://www.d-d-electronics.com.sg/products...erShot-G11.html is taking orders at a US price of $489. Shipping to Australia is $25. GST is 10% plus a small administrative charge which, from past experience, makes the total additional cost about 12%.  Total cost for me, if I were to buy the G11 from this Singaporean company would be US$ 576. For you the price should be an additional 11%, ie US$639, unless there are other customs and import charges in Belgium over and above the 21% VAT including reasonable administrative charges.

feppe

• Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2009, 03:20:52 am »

Quote from: Ray
Thierry,
If all you have to pay is an additional 21% VAT then the solution is quite simple. Buy from overseas and pay the VAT on receipt of the goods. The best price in Australia for the G11 is A$777 (US$668 at current rates). However, the following Singaporean company http://www.d-d-electronics.com.sg/products...erShot-G11.html is taking orders at a US price of $489. Shipping to Australia is $25. GST is 10% plus a small administrative charge which, from past experience, makes the total additional cost about 12%.  Total cost for me, if I were to buy the G11 from this Singaporean company would be US$ 576. For you the price should be an additional 11%, ie US$639, unless there are other customs and import charges in Belgium over and above the 21% VAT including reasonable administrative charges.

There are indeed significant customs and duties expenses when importing camera equipment to European countries.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 03:21:24 am by feppe »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 11:32:02 am »

Quite often European prices are higher.  There are many reasons for this. Its the degree of difference between European and US prices that makes the G11 so remarkable, and different from most other cameras.  Thus the question is not about US v European pricing, but US v European pricing for the G11.  I looked at UK pricing and decided Canon were having a laugh with the G11.  I have a recently purchased G10 and won't be buying a G11.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato
Pages: [1]   Go Up