Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: printer for smaller prints (5x7 and 4x6)  (Read 2580 times)

natas

printer for smaller prints (5x7 and 4x6)
« on: September 22, 2009, 10:18:26 pm »

Hey guys,

I have a Epson 4800 and love it. No problems at all. I do alot of printing (wedding photography on the side) and I get tons of orders for 4x6's and 5x7's. I can print this out on my 4800 but its a pain to cut the paper. Can anyone recommend a good print that does smaller prints? I am wanting something I can use to print and sell to my clients with confidence. THe best I have found are the r1900, but that printer is a little pricey and is way bigger then I need.

Bill in WV

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 10:47:45 pm »

I'm not sure of the current model numbers, but I have had two Epson printers purchased for less $100 that did a great job on 4x6, 5x7, and even 8x10 or ltr size. I am going to make an outrageous assumption here, but people buying 4x6 and 5x7s are looking for and buying memories, not fine art. Take a look at a couple of them, they're fairly quick at the smaller sizes and even have a reasonable quantity of ink. You can probably make a bit of change with these.

I'm sure Canon and HP also have some workhorse smaller printers that can handle this job. Thinking back on it as I type this, I've sold smaller prints up to 8x10 off these low end printers and I hardly sell anything. I have a Canon i850 on my desk right now that is my day to day document and occasional photo printer and I can't even remember when I bought it.

My regular photo printer is an Epson R1800 and I've been very satisfied with it. There are some great prices right now on refurbed R1800s and even new R1900s. You shouldn't automatically overlook these, they are great printers. (I have to admit though, I am lusting after a new Epson 3880. I just love larger prints and would love to be able to print those 16x24 or x20s, what ever those larger sizes are.)

Good luck to you

Bill in WV
Bill Evans
 Currently shooting with Canon

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 03:44:15 am »

Your right on track with the r1900. Unil you said the cost thing I was going to say 2880 and the now replaced 3800. The 3800 is the best buy out of group.
The r1900 is less then $400 with rebate which is pretty good price.  I do not really care personally for anything smaller then 3800 because of the smallish inksets.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 07:26:41 am »

If you get tons of orders for small prints, as I also do, you can just make templates in Lightroom (if you are using LR), and print your pictures in batches on either roll paper or on larger sheets.

Jim

natas

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 10:06:15 am »

Quote from: Jim Pascoe
If you get tons of orders for small prints, as I also do, you can just make templates in Lightroom (if you are using LR), and print your pictures in batches on either roll paper or on larger sheets.

Jim

Thats what I do right now, but I hate cutting these, its a total pain in the butt.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:06:35 am by natas »
Pages: [1]   Go Up