Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1D vs 1D-II  (Read 2646 times)

Scott_H

1D vs 1D-II
« on: March 30, 2004, 11:52:54 am »

Can't you adjust in camera sharpening?
[url=http://scottsblog.my-expressions.co

dbarthel

1D vs 1D-II
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2004, 05:14:27 pm »

Wolfy, I think my question relates to the strength of the anti-aliasing filter. The 10D has a strong one, hence soft images, the 1D had a weak one. So what does the 1D-II have, that is the question. As such. I'm hoping for a definitive answer.

Dan

dbarthel

1D vs 1D-II
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004, 08:27:59 am »

Uwe Stein at Digital Outback has just posted some samples that would seem to indicate a strong AA filter aka the 10D.  Rats   :(

dbarthel

1D vs 1D-II
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2004, 11:43:01 am »

I think the question we're asking is is the 1D-II just as sharp out of the camera as the 1D which was great, or is it soft like the 10D? Delete<This is a very important question for JPEG shooters, among others, who want to send off stuff in a hurry without a lot of post processing.>  Edit - I misstated my question. It was the RAW images that came out of the 1D that were much sharper than the 10D. Sorry for the confusion. I have some 1D images of egrets in lacey breeding plumage from the 1D that required minimal or no sharpening. Is the 1D-II equally sharp by default?

wolfy

1D vs 1D-II
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 03:39:31 pm »

The first 2 questions in this thread have been asked so many times in so many places that I believe they demonstrate a sufficient level of interest so as to be considered "of general interest", ...not "pixel peeping"(heaven forbid).

I hope they may be addressed.

It seems that the CCD vs CMOS question bears on this question in many readers' minds.(i.e. the new 1D is DIFFERENT in that respect, ...so what is the practical effect, if any, on out-of-camera sharpness, ...and to what degree is this under user control?)

Sorry, but I really object to "politically-correct"/or-not handy-but-not-dandy classification of areas-of-interest.
("Gee, is this a PP question, ...or not?"" Is it OK if I ask it?")

Larry

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
1D vs 1D-II
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2004, 05:46:59 pm »

I'm not Michael, but I have downloaded a dozen or so 1D-II shots from Canon's site and elsewhere that lead be to conclude that pixel for pixel, the 1D-II is similar to the 1Ds: images are a little soft right out of the camera, but sharpen up very nicely without having to resort to any extreme techniques.
Pages: [1]   Go Up