Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Macbook Pro/LCD Projector woes at PMA Conference  (Read 11069 times)

djcsmith

Macbook Pro/LCD Projector woes at PMA Conference
« on: September 13, 2009, 10:13:00 pm »

My Macbook Pro 17 (2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 Gigs RAM) couldn't get usable color from the DELL LCD projectors at PMA Toronto this weekend.  

The resident techie tried changing projectors, and VGA cables, all with the same unusable result.  
I was using the Apple DVI to VGA adapter to connect to the VGA cable; and dual monitor setting, not mirrored displays.  
I tried running the presentation using PowePoint MAC, Keynote, and even PowerPoint/Windows XP running under VMWare Fusion, all with the same poor unusable color.  
Switching to a PC laptop running Win XP ran the presentation with acceptable color.
The techie decided the problem was either my Macbook, or the DVI/RGB adapter.
However, back at home later, my Macbook worked great with my Epson LCD, using either a DVI or VGA cable.
This same configuration also worked previously at the PROMASTER convention Palm Springs in July; with Epson projectors.

Comments or suggestions?  Is there a compatablity problem between Macs and DEL projectors.

gkroeger

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 09:00:26 am »

I use my Macbook Pro with a Dell projector all the time with no issues... must be the DVI-VGA adapter?

djcsmith

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 05:14:51 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

Since there doesn't appear to be a Mac-Dell compatibility issue, I might just pick up a second DVI-VGA adapter.
It still seems strange that everything worked well at home, and not at the convention.

David

Quote from: gkroeger
I use my Macbook Pro with a Dell projector all the time with no issues... must be the DVI-VGA adapter?

djcsmith

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 12:41:46 pm »

Just another theory . . . I ran across another thread stating that custom calibrated monitors can cause problems. (I use Color Eyes Prio)
Keynote, or PowerPoint uses that custom monitor profile for the LCD projector as well.  
Temporarily switching the monitor calibration back to sRGB will avoid profile conflicts.

David

Quote from: djcsmith
Thanks for the feedback.

Since there doesn't appear to be a Mac-Dell compatibility issue, I might just pick up a second DVI-VGA adapter.
It still seems strange that everything worked well at home, and not at the convention.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up