Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5Dmkii Audio Problems  (Read 3840 times)

Pavel

5Dmkii Audio Problems
« on: September 10, 2009, 10:12:44 pm »

I hope someone can help me here. I've got a 5Dmkii and the sound when I use the internal mike is about as expected. It is clear of hiss but picks up every noise that the camera or operator makes.

I have a Rode NTG-2 mike. With a fresh AA battery I get a much higher level of hiss, which is something I did not expect because I watched several tests on this particular mike and it was very clean and also very directional. The hiss is very noticeable and it seems to be picking up sound from all directions. I've got a very high quality Mogamy xlr to 1/4 inch jack going into the 5D. I thought perhaps they were somehow incompatible but when I use the mike and cable combo into my Mac I get perfectly clear sound with no hiss. Does anyone have any experience with this setup or any words of wisdom?

Another thing that I find odd is that when I record a movie with the built in mike I can hear it on the 5D speaker when I play it back in the camera but if I mike it then the sound does not come through except when I move the file onto the Computer to play it. No sound on playback from the cam. Is that normal?

Thanks! I hope its not the 5D!

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
5Dmkii Audio Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 12:41:22 pm »

My suspicion would turn to the camera's mini-jack input (they are fragile...).
Make certain that the mini-jack is completely seated into the opening (sometimes they can be stiff).
Also try another mic/mini-jack combo before going the Canon repair route.
Let us know the outcome.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
5Dmkii Audio Problems
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:11:05 am »

Quote from: Pavel
I hope someone can help me here. I've got a 5Dmkii and the sound when I use the internal mike is about as expected. It is clear of hiss but picks up every noise that the camera or operator makes.

I have a Rode NTG-2 mike. With a fresh AA battery I get a much higher level of hiss, which is something I did not expect because I watched several tests on this particular mike and it was very clean and also very directional. The hiss is very noticeable and it seems to be picking up sound from all directions. I've got a very high quality Mogamy xlr to 1/4 inch jack going into the 5D. I thought perhaps they were somehow incompatible but when I use the mike and cable combo into my Mac I get perfectly clear sound with no hiss. Does anyone have any experience with this setup or any words of wisdom?

Another thing that I find odd is that when I record a movie with the built in mike I can hear it on the 5D speaker when I play it back in the camera but if I mike it then the sound does not come through except when I move the file onto the Computer to play it. No sound on playback from the cam. Is that normal?

Thanks! I hope its not the 5D!

THis mic is 'battery' or phantom power

5d does not provide phantom power

make sure it is in battery mode?

Else maybe you need a preamp

im no audio buff BTW..

S

Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK
Pages: [1]   Go Up