Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grad ND Filters  (Read 4983 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Grad ND Filters
« on: September 09, 2009, 12:02:24 pm »

How do the Hi-Tech and Lee grads perform? Any difference between them as to quality of output?

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
Grad ND Filters
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 03:13:43 pm »

Quote from: Mike Sellers
How do the Hi-Tech and Lee grads perform? Any difference between them as to quality of output?

I just did some research on this and couldn't find any definitive answers, but it seems most feel these two brands perform very similarly.

I went with the Lee's.

Nick Rains

• http://www.nickrains.com
Grad ND Filters
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 06:44:08 pm »

Quote from: Wayne Fox
I just did some research on this and couldn't find any definitive answers, but it seems most feel these two brands perform very similarly.

I went with the Lee's.

Me too - excellent filters. I have 're-discovered' the value of ND grads for video on the 5D2, they make a huge difference to the results.
Nick Rains
Australian Photographer Leica

John Collins

Grad ND Filters
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 07:46:20 pm »

I've never used Hi-Tec, it's always been Lee filters - I can tell you Lee's and their adapter/holder/shades work v. well.

Professional

Grad ND Filters
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:44:34 am »

I have LEE holder and adapter rings [i came from Cokin P-series and Z-Pro holders] and i never look back to Cokin, and i use Hitech GND filters, performing great, even i can't imagine how much LEE or Singh-Ray Resin filter will be better, i have Singh-Ray Reverse GND filter and few LEE ND filters [Polyester and 1 glass], so soon when i will travel to USA i may try to use them all and see the difference.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
Grad ND Filters
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:30:08 am »

I used Cokin a long time ago and started using Lee several years ago. Cokin is total crap, my so-called 'neutral' filters tended to be not neutral. I enjoy using the Lee system. Sturdy and functional. It works without hassle, producing the results I want. Just what I like a piece of quipment to do.

I use the .3/.6/.9 grad's in both soft and hard versions. I use the Lee versions of these and like them. I have no comparison with the Hi-tech or Sing-ray versions.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 04:31:09 am by Dustbak »

spidermike

Grad ND Filters
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2009, 10:26:40 am »

I have just ordered a set of HiTech filters with a Lee holder kit - no chance to try them out yet so that joy awaits me! But browsing the net I have seen a few comments that the HiTech soft grad is very gradual - the gradient on the HiTech hard grad is closer to that on the Lee soft grad so this may be worth exploring.  Secondly there have been some comments that the HiTechs sometimes have a colour cast to them but anyone who has noticed it have had no problems with getting replacements free of charge. The sales guy I spoke to (Teamwork Photo in UK) said this problem has been largely resolved.
Hi Tech (in the UK at least) have a well-priced pack of 3 ND Grads.

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Grad ND Filters
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 10:47:01 am »

Quote from: spidermike
I have just ordered a set of HiTech filters with a Lee holder kit - no chance to try them out yet so that joy awaits me! But browsing the net I have seen a few comments that the HiTech soft grad is very gradual - the gradient on the HiTech hard grad is closer to that on the Lee soft grad so this may be worth exploring.  Secondly there have been some comments that the HiTechs sometimes have a colour cast to them but anyone who has noticed it have had no problems with getting replacements free of charge. The sales guy I spoke to (Teamwork Photo in UK) said this problem has been largely resolved.
Hi Tech (in the UK at least) have a well-priced pack of 3 ND Grads.
Nice to know there are some lower priced alternatives to Singh-Ray.

guyharrison

Grad ND Filters
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 11:08:58 am »

Quote from: Mike Sellers
Nice to know there are some lower priced alternatives to Singh-Ray.

Hi, Mike,

Regarding the price--as they say, be careful what you wish for.   I have used Lee, Singh-Ray, Cokin and Tiffen grads.  When I used Cokin and Tiffen grads, I noticed a color cast to the filters which was unacceptable on film and still would be a pain to correct on digital.  I can say that the Singh-Rays are completely color-neutral--they make a big point of this and it is true as far as I can tell.  Also, they offer a huge variety of strengths and graduations.  I do view them as the  very best in grad filters but there is a price for this, as you can see.

Having also used the Lee filter I have been satisfied with it so far (a 3 stop hard transition) and I think it  would be a good alternative.

I do not look for bargain filters, because I am using Canon "L" glass and Zeiss medium format lenses.  However, if I was shooting any high-line lenses from Nikon, Pentax, Olympus etc etc, I would not scrimp on filters.  They are a small investment compared to your glass, but every bit as important.  The Singh-Rays have superb optical performance and the Lees seem fine as well.  I have not used Hi-Techs so cannot comment on them.

If you are looking for glass filters (more durable and scratch resistant), I believe Schneider makes some.  Since they also make B+W (my usual screw-in brand) I would assume they are truly excellent as well.

Guy

Terry B.

Grad ND Filters
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2009, 01:01:08 pm »

I'm using the Singh-Ray  ND grad and love it.   I handhold it against lens and use the depth of field preview to see the change and where to position.  I opted for this one , regardless of price, to get the best resin available.  I knew if I bought glass, I'd probably drop it in a rock filled stream or elsewhere.......

Pages: [1]   Go Up