Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RAW to DNG batch conversion leaves "?" on preview  (Read 3377 times)

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
RAW to DNG batch conversion leaves "?" on preview
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:05:24 pm »

I just let LR 2.4 batch convert a bunch of folders already in my LR catalog containing various vintages of Canon RAW files to DNG files. Everything went smoothly and I can see all of the new DNGs in my Library. However, a bunch of the new DNGs have a little filmstrip and "?" question mark icon in the upper righthand corner of the preview frame.

I think this means that LR cannot find the original, however, when I right click on the preview to locate the file in the Finder, it takes me right to the correct folder and file.

I tried rebuilding the LR database, saving the metadata to DNG and then updating the DNG Preview and Metadata. None of this made a difference

Any suggestion on how to get rid of the "?"?

Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 07:50:33 am »

Bud,

I have the same problem, although with only one image.  I have no idea how to fix it.  LR "show in finder" finds the file, and "show in folder in library" also finds the file.  Cmd S and Develop module both work on this image but do not eliminate the "?."  One interesting note is that my original image was a jpeg. It may be the only jpeg I have in my entire library that was converted to dng (all the other dng's were raw - dng coversions).  No reason why that should matter, just an extreme coincidence. One thing that has me quite nervous is the file info from Finder shows "0x0" pixels.  Makes me think the dng file is nothing but the metadata and the jpeg preview.  Uh Oh.

Relaunch and optimize did nothing either. FWIW, this is (was?) a 20D image shot several years ago.

Dave

Edit: Found out it was a jpeg converted to a psd then converted to a dng. Don't ask...

[attachment=16432:LR_Q_screenshot.jpg]
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:56:38 am by dchew »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 01:13:25 pm »

I wonder if it's something to do with the file being on a USB drive.

budjames

• http://www.budjamesphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 02:32:44 pm »

Let me add to my original post.

What I realized upon further investigation is that on older (pre-2009) imports I often shot RAW and JPEG. These were the files that after DNG conversion had the missing file symbol. The give away was that the images showing the "?" in the grid mode frame also had "RAW+JPG" in the frame too.  The JPEG that was missing because it got deleted along with the original RAW file during the LR DNG conversion.

I used to shoot RAW+JPG because it was simple to import the JPEGs in to iPhoto for family events (vacations, parties, etc.) than do RAW conversions on these with pre-LR software. This year I only shoot RAW as LR makes batch conversions and automatic importing into iPhoto a snap (no pun intended).

Cheers.
Bud
Bud James
North Wales, PA [url=http://ww

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 04:53:51 pm »

Quote from: johnbeardy
I wonder if it's something to do with the file being on a USB drive.
John,

I doubt it, since that's where all my images are.  Well, firewire, but same difference.  I'm living on a macbookpro; No funding for a desktop yet. :-(

Dave

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 05:01:41 pm »

Dave

The reason I mention it is that I have heard of LR having some flakiness with Mac and USB hard drives. It's not a common problem and I can't recall what it was (maybe something to do with occasionally corrupting catalogues, but I really don't want to worry you unduly). Get that file on your internal drive, remove the USB one, and then move the copy from internal onto the USB. Optimise the catalogue too (and back it up)

John

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 05:12:28 pm »

Bud & John,

I just went back to my original jpeg.  The original was not on the firewire drive, but on a network drive. Nor was it in this catalog.  I re-created a dng from that jpeg and imported it into the catalog and onto the firewire drive.  

No "?" on this new dng.  Very curious.  

John, does this mean I've found one small reason to continue separating my WIP photos and catalog from my finished photographs/dng's?   :-P

Kidding.

Dave

Edit: I'm going to post this in the Adobe LR forum.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 05:46:06 pm by dchew »
Pages: [1]   Go Up