Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panoheads  (Read 1484 times)

Jeremy Payne

Panoheads
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:56:42 pm »

I've been shooting mosaics and panos with a leveling base and plain old ballhead ... and now it is time to step up and buy some dedicated hardware.

Most commonly, I shoot with the 70-200 f/2.8 on a D700 at 105mm.

Any thoughts on the NN5 and the RRS solution?  I know the RRS is a bit more expensive ... and I already have a RRS L-plate and QR clamp on my ballhead (a Giotto).

Which would you buy and why?

Tyler Mallory

• http://www.tylermallory.com
Panoheads
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:40:51 pm »

The RRS stuff is so well made, I'd just say go with that rig, especially if you already have the plate.

RoyS

Panoheads
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:22:45 pm »

Quote from: Jeremy Payne
I've been shooting mosaics and panos with a leveling base and plain old ballhead ... and now it is time to step up and buy some dedicated hardware.

Most commonly, I shoot with the 70-200 f/2.8 on a D700 at 105mm.

Any thoughts on the NN5 and the RRS solution?  I know the RRS is a bit more expensive ... and I already have a RRS L-plate and QR clamp on my ballhead (a Giotto).

Which would you buy and why?

I have the RRS setup and agree that the quality is top notch. I made 1 substitution though, on the tripod I use a Manfrotto 300N instead of the PCL-1 Panning Clamp, that way I can set the number of photos needed to complete a 360° pan and achieve a constant-angle between the shots for easy stitching. I attached it to a MPR-192 multi-purpose rail with an aluminum block drilled and taped with one 3/8"-16 hole for the Manfrotto 300N, and two 1/4"-20 holes for bolts through the top channel of the MPR-192. This is very solid, prevents the need for another clamp, and best of all reduces the tripod footprint in the nadir shot. The set up is solid and allows me to use the quick-release and L-plate. You can see the set up here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up