Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost CF card data  (Read 2935 times)

Tony Reynes

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
Lost CF card data
« on: August 11, 2009, 06:39:01 pm »

Whether it was a low battery or I somehow pulled the card out before processing was completed, Lightroom sees no images when I plug in my card. The camera is a Canon 5D, I was shooting RAW and the card is a 2 Gig Kingston. I have tried multiple rescue apps but they either don't work or they only work with files less than 10 MB. Could you steer me toward something that might work? I have 150 orphan images waiting to be loved.

Thanks,

Tony
Logged

Tgrain

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Lost CF card data
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 07:09:06 pm »

Photo Rescue.  http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

free trial, $30 to buy, works on Mac or PC, worked for me with no problems!

all the best,

W
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Lost CF card data
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 01:56:16 am »

I second Photo Rescue. Most of the free softwares don't work reliably but Data Rescue always gave me good results.
Logged
Francois

Tony Reynes

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5
Lost CF card data
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 06:01:49 pm »

Thank you both for your advice. When I ran the app, it found old exposures, not recent ones. The three conclusions I have reached are:
- the card went bad
- somehow the card was not seated
- I pulled the card before the processing in the camera was completed

Do you agree? The card was the original one i bough with the camera...probably has had 3-4,000 exposures run through it!
Logged

Steph1

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Lost CF card data
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 06:44:09 pm »

Sandisk Image Rescue works pretty well (and with any CF card)
http://www.lexar.com/drivers/index.html#software
Logged

Steph1

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Lost CF card data
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 06:45:14 pm »

Quote from: Tony Reynes
Thank you both for your advice. When I ran the app, it found old exposures, not recent ones. The three conclusions I have reached are:
- the card went bad
- somehow the card was not seated
- I pulled the card before the processing in the camera was completed

Do you agree? The card was the original one i bough with the camera...probably has had 3-4,000 exposures run through it!


By far the likeliest explanation is that you simply pulled the card before the camera wrote the images.
Logged

teddillard

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 717
    • http://www.teddillard.com
Lost CF card data
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 07:14:43 am »

Quote from: Steph1
By far the likeliest explanation is that you simply pulled the card before the camera wrote the images.

True, but the low battery is possible too.  I've seen a few cases of a low battery corrupting data, not of data not getting written though.  As soon as my batteries start to show any fade at all I pop in a fresh set...  just sayin.
Logged
Ted Dillard
Pages: [1]   Go Up