Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Time to buy a good tripod  (Read 4839 times)

mlevison

Time to buy a good tripod
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:30:56 am »

I've been thinking about buying a good tripod for a few years. I recently got an arcatech ballhead and qr release plates that I'm very happy with. But they're being used on an old Manfrotto tripod.

Time to move on.

I'm looking for a tripod to landscape and occasionally macro work. I want a rock solid system that has some flexibility for macro. I'm leaning towards Gitzo's specifically: 2227 Explorer (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/gitzo-2227.shtml) albeit with the size "3" legs and the four segment legs so I could treat as carry on.
Does anyone have experience with these puppies? How stable are they? Is the centre column stable enough for macro use? How much of a compromise is it? Does the centre colum effect stability when its not in use?

The camera is a D300 and my main lens is an 80-200 f2.8 (yes its old). In addition I do have a 90mm macro and cheapie 70-300. Some time in the next few years I might pickup a 200-400.

Cheers
Mark

soboyle

• shaunoboylephoto.com
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:46:12 am »

I use the 2227 explorer, and find it to be an excellent tripod, have had it for about 5 years with no problems. I don't often use the column tilt, but it is nice to have when needed. You'll want to weight the tripod with a camera bag if hanging anything out any distance.
Offers a very solid platform, tilt column locks down solid, I see no compromise in performance. Mine has 3 leg sections. Love the individually locking legs. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:51:12 am by soboyle »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:20:30 pm »

The 4 legs section version is indeed a bit easier to pack, but for the rest I would recommend the 3 leg sections:

- more rigid,
- faster to deploy and less operations to do so which can be important in cold weather

For the rest, I also find Gitzo to be excellent material, I have been shooting mostly with their GT5531s recently and believe that it is probably the most stable tripod out there, although most people would find it too heavy for field work.

Cheers,
Bernard

Geoff Wittig

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 10:34:06 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
The 4 legs section version is indeed a bit easier to pack, but for the rest I would recommend the 3 leg sections:

- more rigid,
- faster to deploy and less operations to do so which can be important in cold weather

For the rest, I also find Gitzo to be excellent material, I have been shooting mostly with their GT5531s recently and believe that it is probably the most stable tripod out there, although most people would find it too heavy for field work.

Cheers,
Bernard

Great set of legs, with an achilles heel. According to the spec sheet, maximum height is 52.4" with legs fully extended. That's just too short. I'm a bit over 73", and for me any tripod that won't go to at least 68" is worthless. Use the tripod looking down a hillside, and you can subtract another foot or two from its nominal height. After an hour hunched over looking through the viewfinder I need a visit to the chiropracter.

framah

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 05:23:31 pm »

How about throwing a right angle viewer onto your camera??  It might help you with the bending over thing.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

DarkPenguin

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 08:27:54 pm »

Quote from: framah
How about throwing a right angle viewer onto your camera??  It might help you with the bending over thing.

Or get a camera with live view.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 02:02:22 am »

Hi,

You may check out Gitzo GT3541XLS...

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: Geoff Wittig
Great set of legs, with an achilles heel. According to the spec sheet, maximum height is 52.4" with legs fully extended. That's just too short. I'm a bit over 73", and for me any tripod that won't go to at least 68" is worthless. Use the tripod looking down a hillside, and you can subtract another foot or two from its nominal height. After an hour hunched over looking through the viewfinder I need a visit to the chiropracter.
Erik Kaffehr

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2009, 02:13:29 am »

Hi,

I used to have the Acratech on my Velbon Sherpa Pro 630 carbon fiber tripod. Recently I "upgraded" to a Gitzo GT3541LS. I'd say the jury is still out on the Gitzo. I put a lot of consideration into choosing three or four leg sections but I normally carry my tripod attached to my backpack and even the GT3541LS is a bit oversize for that, so I decided to go with four sections. I have some deficiency in length, so the 3541LS is tall enough for me.

One thing to consider is that the top plate on a Gitzo "systematic" tripod is large and may interfere with a small head like the RRS BH-40 I'm using right now.

Best regards
Erik

Quote from: mlevison
I've been thinking about buying a good tripod for a few years. I recently got an arcatech ballhead and qr release plates that I'm very happy with. But they're being used on an old Manfrotto tripod.

Time to move on.

I'm looking for a tripod to landscape and occasionally macro work. I want a rock solid system that has some flexibility for macro. I'm leaning towards Gitzo's specifically: 2227 Explorer (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/gitzo-2227.shtml) albeit with the size "3" legs and the four segment legs so I could treat as carry on.
Does anyone have experience with these puppies? How stable are they? Is the centre column stable enough for macro use? How much of a compromise is it? Does the centre colum effect stability when its not in use?

The camera is a D300 and my main lens is an 80-200 f2.8 (yes its old). In addition I do have a 90mm macro and cheapie 70-300. Some time in the next few years I might pickup a 200-400.

Cheers
Mark
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 11:36:04 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

ashley

• http://www.ashleykaryl.com
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 05:37:44 pm »

I have the Gitzo and I find it a pretty good all round option assuming you don't need to support anything excessively heavy. You would probably be happy with this option if you use it with a decent head. I don't have one personally, but the Gitzo tripod bags are really nice if you want something to protect it and make carrying a little more comfortable.
Ashley Karyl Photographer
[url=http://w

aaykay

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:03:58 pm »

Quote from: ErikKaffehr
One thing to consider is that the top plate on a Gitzo "systematic" tripod is large and may interfere with a small head like the RRS BH-40 I'm using right now.

I am assuming you are talking about a situation where you have to switch from portrait to landscape orientation etc.  An L-plate is the way to resolve this situation.  I have both the 3540LS (very similar to the later 3541LS) and also the 5540LS (WAY broader top plate than the 3340LS).  I also use the relatively small Arca Swiss Z1 on it and works just fine, as long as I use my L-plate with the A900.
Pages: [1]   Go Up