Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900, some info requests  (Read 2174 times)

Steven Draper

• http://www.stevendraperphotography.com
Epson 7900, some info requests
« on: August 09, 2009, 08:29:27 am »

Hello everyone

I'm not able to get to a dealer to see things for myself but I have some questions that users may be able to answer.

I'm looking at upgrading from a B9180 to the 7900 for several reasons, better glossy paper handling, roll paper, bigger prints, slightly less unit cost per print (ignoring printer price!!!)

1. I make 11x8.5" prints for clients fairly frequently. Can the Epson7900 handle sheet paper or does it need to be fed in 1 sheet at a time?
2. Many of the names I see here using the 7900 are MF users. I am currently 35digitial (D2x / D700) I'm looking at making prints about 20x13 and wondering if anyone else has the same set up. (I shoot 2 1/4 film now and then and would like to move into MF in the next couple of years.)

3. I currently sell prints from my B9180  (16x12) between $180 - $300 and will make about 50 larger prints (not including test prints) per year.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Steven
image examples are at my website  [url=h

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:20:09 am »

Quote from: Steven Draper
I'm looking at upgrading from a B9180 to the 7900 for several reasons, better glossy paper handling, roll paper, bigger prints, slightly less unit cost per print (ignoring printer price!!!)

The 7900/9900 is indeed for for glossy, but there is still some gloss differential on some papers that can probably only be solved totally by always making sure that no part of the image is totally colorless.

1. I make 11x8.5" prints for clients fairly frequently. Can the Epson7900 handle sheet paper or does it need to be fed in 1 sheet at a time?

As far as I know, sheets have to be introduced one by one.

2. Many of the names I see here using the 7900 are MF users. I am currently 35digitial (D2x / D700) I'm looking at making prints about 20x13 and wondering if anyone else has the same set up. (I shoot 2 1/4 film now and then and would like to move into MF in the next couple of years.)

I have made a few test prints of single D3 images in A3+ recently (33x48cm) which corresponds probably to 13x18 inch, and they are ok, not totally as detailed as I would like them to be, but still pretty sellable though.

Cheers,
Bernard

Steven Draper

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 09:32:28 am »

Quote from: BernardLanguillier
The 7900/9900 is indeed for for glossy, but there is still some gloss differential on some papers that can probably only be solved totally by always making sure that no part of the image is totally colorless.

As far as I know, sheets have to be introduced one by one.

I have made a few test prints of single D3 images in A3+ recently (33x48cm) which corresponds probably to 13x18 inch, and they are ok, not totally as detailed as I would like them to be, but still pretty sellable though.

Cheers,
Bernard

Thanks, your thoughts on all subjects are always very welcome.

hsmeets

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 02:40:37 pm »

Hello everyone

I'm not able to get to a dealer to see things for myself but I have some questions that users may be able to answer.

3. I currently sell prints from my B9180  (16x12) between $180 - $300 and will make about 50 larger prints (not including test prints) per year.

Many thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Steven

Maybe have also a look at Epson 4880 or Canon 5100. Both are 17", handle roll as single sheets (per casette/drawer) equally well. Both machines are not too big and can be placed on a table top.
Cheers,

Huib

mikev1

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 05:08:51 pm »

Sheet paper does indeed have to be fed in one at a time.  

One word of caution, if you will be using any of the thicker fine art papers like Hahnemuhle Museum Etching it is challenging to get smaller sheets like 8.5x11 to feed straight through the printer.  The reason why this is that you have to press the paper release button and kind of dangle the paper in the printer and then press the button again for it to load.   For larger sheets I don't really have much trouble but for smaller sheets I find it a pain.

For standard thickness papers it is quite easy, just place the paper in the top of the printer and away it goes.

I'm using a 9900 but I assume it is the same.

Guigui

• http://
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 06:39:29 pm »

Quote from: mikev1
Sheet paper does indeed have to be fed in one at a time.  

One word of caution, if you will be using any of the thicker fine art papers like Hahnemuhle Museum Etching it is challenging to get smaller sheets like 8.5x11 to feed straight through the printer.  The reason why this is that you have to press the paper release button and kind of dangle the paper in the printer and then press the button again for it to load.   For larger sheets I don't really have much trouble but for smaller sheets I find it a pain.

For standard thickness papers it is quite easy, just place the paper in the top of the printer and away it goes.

I'm using a 9900 but I assume it is the same.

Actually the challenging part of loading a small sheet into a 7900/9900 is that you can't use the rulers guide to help you straighten the paper as you insert it.
Anyway Steven, if you do buy a 7900, you might want to use 24'' rolls instead of cutsheets. You'll get a much cheaper cost per print that way (provided you make an "optimal" use of the paper surface), and no straightening issues.

Steven Draper

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 08:56:07 pm »

Quote from: Guigui
Actually the challenging part of loading a small sheet into a 7900/9900 is that you can't use the rulers guide to help you straighten the paper as you insert it.
Anyway Steven, if you do buy a 7900, you might want to use 24'' rolls instead of cutsheets. You'll get a much cheaper cost per print that way (provided you make an "optimal" use of the paper surface), and no straightening issues.

Now that is a good idea!! Thanks

Steven Draper

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:37:53 pm »

Many thanks. I am now in the process of ordering a 7900. Just thinking about some paper choices now!!

Pages: [1]   Go Up