Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Different results from same file on 4880 and 9900  (Read 2560 times)

iCanvas

Different results from same file on 4880 and 9900
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:12:39 am »

Hi All,

I print on canvas and own a 4880 for my prints up to 16x20. I have to make adjustments in Photoshop to lighten the canvas print as well as having to select gamma 1.8 almost every time I print on the 4880.  In other words the 4880 is printing too dark. I don't have to make such adjustments when printing on a 9900.  With the 9900 it is more a 'what you see is what you get'. I have called Epson support and they say it is a software issue.  I have downloaded the latest driver and have the latest firmware for this printer.  However, the same result is there. Any advice would be appreciated.

Gar

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 11:56:41 am »

What profiles are you using? It's probably the ICC profile.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

iCanvas

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 08:49:15 pm »

I just let the printer manage the colors.  On the 4880 for media type I choose 'water color radiant white' and on the 9900 I choose canvas.  I haven't had much luck with choosing 'photoshop manages colors' and then choosing a profile.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 09:03:29 pm »

Quote from: iCanvas
I just let the printer manage the colors.  On the 4880 for media type I choose 'water color radiant white' and on the 9900 I choose canvas.  I haven't had much luck with choosing 'photoshop manages colors' and then choosing a profile.

Not sure why you would expect consistency with this type of workflow.  The best way to get printers to look like each other is to have a good color managed workflow, and letting the printers control the color is definitely not the way to do that.  Any success you have had with this workflow is probably about tweaking things till they work, and you will have to tweak the file and printer settings again for the 9900, since they use completely different inksets and screening.

If you haven't had much luck with Photoshop managing colors, you should do some studying and understand why, because this is the correct method and will result in the most consistent and highest quality results.

I guess my questions would be why haven't you had much luck?  What seems to be the problem with the prints when letting photoshop manage colors?  What paper are you using and where have you gotten the profiles?  When you let Photoshop manage colors are you making sure you have color management disabled in the printer dialog box?  Are you profiling your monitor?  Guess that's enough for starters.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:08:51 pm by Wayne Fox »

iCanvas

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 08:45:35 am »

I am satisfied with my workflow, letting the printer manage the colors.  For my art this gives a more vibrant effect that sells well.  My questions was why are the prints from the 4880 coming out darker than from the 9900 with the same file.  Could this be a defect with the printer or could there be a software issue that I haven't taken into consideration.  Any help from experienced users would be appreciated.

Gar

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:04:05 am »

I am satisfied with my workflow, letting the printer manage the colors.  For my art this gives a more vibrant effect that sells well.  My questions was why are the prints from the 4880 coming out darker than from the 9900 with the same file.

Because you're not printing them correctly using ICC profiles!

Even with two good custom profiles, they will still differ, different inkset with a different gamut. What Wayne said.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 09:56:12 am »

These two media settings are going to use different inkloads and color mixes. One is for canvas and the other is a matte paper. I don't think it's realistic to expect identical results even if you are using the correct media with those settings. (Are you?)
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:21:54 pm »

I am satisfied with my workflow, letting the printer manage the colors.  For my art this gives a more vibrant effect that sells well.  My questions was why are the prints from the 4880 coming out darker than from the 9900 with the same file.  Could this be a defect with the printer or could there be a software issue that I haven't taken into consideration.  Any help from experienced users would be appreciated.

Gar

Well, you are getting answers from experienced users ... and they all agree.  Use a correct color managed workflow.  In our experience we do not use Printer manages color, and the only way to "match" printers using this method is to tweak the file and test, rinse and repeat until you get what you want - bascially you will need two versions of the file and/or different color settings in the print driver. Selecting printer manages color for two different printers will rarely result in similar output.

If you want to get "more vibrant colors", you should be modifying the file, probably through adjustment layers.  Then your color managed workflow can handle the differences between various output devices.  As Andrew mentioned, using good ICC profiles and the correct media types will result in a pretty close match but not perfect considering the two printers have different gamuts, inksets, and screening technology.

iCanvas

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 06:12:30 pm »

Thank you all for your input.  I will once again try with "Photoshop Manages Colors" and work with that.  

Gar
Pages: [1]   Go Up