Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D90 question  (Read 1568 times)

Greg D

Nikon D90 question
« on: August 06, 2009, 08:40:00 am »

Questions for D90 users:

I understand that though the screen is high resolution (920,000 I think), what you see in live view is only a fraction of that.  Makes no sense to me - high resolution except when you really need it??  Also I believe the max magnification is only about 6x (compared to 10x on Canons).  So my question is, how is the screen for manual focusing in live view?  Or is the contrast-detect live view AF accurate enough (slow I know) that it can be relied on instead of manual focus?

Thanks much

Jonathan Ratzlaff

Nikon D90 question
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:39:18 am »

I use a D90 and have used it with live view in manual focus.   When I do so, I usually use some sort of magnifier either a hood or waist level magnifier from a medium format camera.  This coupled with the view works quite well for focussing.  My 50 year old eyes just aren't good enough to do it even with reading glasses.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
Nikon D90 question
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 01:05:17 am »

I'm not sure about the D90, does it have the same 3" screen as the D300? If so, it allows you to zoom in to 400%. Two steps out from max zoom is 100% actual pixels view. I don't know how that equates to the Canon '10x', but I can't imagine wanting or needing more zoom than the Nikon LCD offers.

As for not getting full resolution from LiveView, that's nonsense. What they may have been thinking of is the fact that the LCD is actually composed of 900K 'dots', where each dot is red green or blue. That's equivalent to 330K RGB pixels. It's still the best LCD currently on the market though.

Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

Greg D

Nikon D90 question
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:36:25 am »

Quote from: JeffKohn
I'm not sure about the D90, does it have the same 3" screen as the D300? If so, it allows you to zoom in to 400%. Two steps out from max zoom is 100% actual pixels view. I don't know how that equates to the Canon '10x', but I can't imagine wanting or needing more zoom than the Nikon LCD offers.

As for not getting full resolution from LiveView, that's nonsense. What they may have been thinking of is the fact that the LCD is actually composed of 900K 'dots', where each dot is red green or blue. That's equivalent to 330K RGB pixels. It's still the best LCD currently on the market though.

Thanks for that info.  

Incredibly beautiful photos of the San Juans.........
Pages: [1]   Go Up